The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

If Nunez ended up at Man Utd he would be sure to be a one season wonder. They made Sancho look like a Championship player.

1 Like

This assumes that erik is going to last 5 years.

3 Likes

I think it’s assuming a lot more than that! (Btw this is an understatement)

2 Likes

It’s as though they think only us and City are starting ahead of them and Chelsea and Spurs don’t exist.

They may find it harder to compete for top level players without Champions League and will have to either pay over the odds wages for those players or they’ll have to be smarter and target og Mané and Salah and Jota types. But if Newcastle are smart, these are the type of players that they should be targeting but will always be able to offer higher fees and wages since FFP doesn’t exist.

Between the top clubs around Europe and Newcastle, and a new manager, recruitment may be difficult other than raiding his old club. Something Klopp never did for one reason or another.

It’s impossible to predict how ten hag will do, but I think they face significant challenges and finishing 6th in the first season as most of the posters seem comfortable with won’t help matters as it’s another season without Champions League money and showing potential new signings that they can’t compete with at least 5 other teams, and give Newcastle another year to gain ground.

1 Like

I like this, it keeps them thinking that hiring him is the magic solution. Nothing to do with their insanely poor recruitment and retention, which will hopefully bite them in the arse again, leaving them to throw their toys out of their prams…

1 Like

When a manager starts raiding the players he has worked with I would worry for the future. Its one thing to sign your best talent you’ve worked with quite another to bring about 4 of them in.

I realised Klopp hasn’t actually signed a German player and none he has managed (edited).

That shows a set up that’s identifying talent from a wide pool not just who he knows, we had that with Rodgers.

1 Like

He also signed Matip and Karius.

2 Likes

Correct though for accuracy sake, Karius and Matip, but neither from his old club and one for free and one for a very low price.

1 Like

Ah I forgot Matip.

So Karius is his only German signing.

There was also another from the Bundesliga the Lithiuanian international - Ragnar Klavan from Augsberg.

1 Like

Ok let’s put it this way he has rarely if ever bought a German player, I don’t think he has bought a previous player he was worked with, though rumours we wanted Brandt and Reus on occasions.

Kabak would also be another from Germany.

Less we forget.

8 Likes

*Estonian

1 Like

Says at the end of my post. :stuck_out_tongue: Really, if this enables Barcelona to somehow get Bernardo Silva, it significantly strengthens our position to wrestle the title away from Man City, he’s that good.

1 Like

He did try for Goetze and Draxler… :thinking: :see_no_evil:

To be fair, Ten Hag has been hired as part of a new structure. It may not work and the other components of that structure might be out of their depth, but Utd are not treating it as if any new manager is a magic solution.

About the only time I recall it working was Jose going to Chelsea and taking two of his back line with him (and later Maniche)

1 Like

… but he didn’t insist on over paying to complete the deals.

1 Like

1 Like

Apparently, anyhow Draxler didn’t play for Dortmund.

I’ve got my doubts about many links especially lazy ones where we see no movements in the open. Not denying we were in for Goezte but for a team that sets out to get the players it wants it’s inability to sign any of these German players who used to play for Klopp does stick out a bit.

I wanted to but they’re all in hiding