The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

And I do wish he had decided to join Man City instead of Juventus. That would be the last icing on the cake.

2 Likes

Think you’re overestimating the capacity of many people for self-reflection, and underestimating the brand value. It’s about commercial worth not footballing worth.

His commercial worth is always reflective of his footballing abilities. There are other factors in play for sure though. Would any commercial entity now want to either sign new deals or extend his existing one after he’s come off looking like a right tool in this one ?

Jesse Lingard’s career says otherwise.

2 Likes

A one-off really doesn’t signify anything. Probably the exception that proves the norm.

The first, and hopefully the last, time that Hendo/Milly have been compared with Ashley Young

I did give a disclaimer. Just goes to show that man utd lacked leaders in their playing group whereas liverpool are chock full of them.

2 Likes

Jesus christ, I’ve never heard this story before. An exerpt from the Athletic piece about Murtough’s impromtu pub chat with the protesting fans

What fucking imbeciles.

1 Like

I know a few here watch Goldbridge’s post-match rants after a bad result (as do I), but I don’t know how many are following his transfer updates this summer. Hoo boy, these are becoming hilarious.

The one from today was noteworthy; he claims to have A1 information from Spain that the reason De Jong hasn’t happened yet it because Barca want to bring in players (Lewandowski was mentioned) before agreeing to let him go, as they don’t want other clubs to bump up their asking prices in the knowledge Barca have just received a big payday.

Furthermore, until that move (De Jong) happens, United’s transfer business is literally paralysed because they have no idea how much of their limited budget they’ll have remaining for additional incomings. Meanwhile, Ajax, from whom they want to sign two, possibly three players, have sold a fair few others and are either going to refuse to let the likes of Anthony and Martinez leave now, or if they do it will be for greatly increased fees - and as a result it could well be one or the other, not both (or even none if Ajax dig their heels in).

He (Goldbridge) says despite media reports to the contrary, there are no ongoing negotiations for De Jong. There are no bids being prepared or discussions taking place. Both parties have known for some time what the fee will need to be, but everything is on hold until Barca say otherwise.

It’s absolute amateur hour. There are no secondary targets. Rangnick prepared a list of ideal signings they needed to push on, and they chucked it in the bin along with him when Ten Hag was appointed, who apparently only wants to buy players he’s coached before.

Meanwhile Ronaldo was apparently offered to Bayern but they turned the deal down.

Anyone fearing that Woodward going would mean United becoming more professional and decisive in the market have had those fears completely allayed. They’ve become worse, so much worse.

And long may it bloody continue :rofl:

9 Likes

Proud The Karate Kid GIF

6 Likes

That TeamViewer thing is interesting. Their software is often used by tech support scammers to gain access to people’s PCs in order to extort money from them. TeamViewer have long known about this and have done almost nothing to prevent it from happening, such as making certain features a paid service that would discourage tech scammers from using it.

4 Likes

Pogba is Balotelli with a good PR team.

3 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t panic yet if I was a United fan.

It’s end of June, they have a new head coach in charge and also recent changes upstairs, all that needs organizing and getting everyone on the same page. So, time.

Better to be slower but more precise than to rush into stupid decisions to create, what exactly, intent? Well, that was exactly some of United’s mistakes in last years. Us fans are fans, impatient and desperate when it’s years without success.

Plus, it’s not all about a transfer window and the first one. United will hope that Hag can both be part of better recruitment/decisions who stays and who goes, but also coach all what he has at disposal better than previously.

There are reasons for them to be unhappy with how the club works, more in a general picture, but closer to football and right now, it’s too early to make big conclusions about anything.

I’ve been saying for a while that I don’t think Ten Hag will make it beyond this season. They will be significantly worse than last season, and those around them have only gotten stronger, Arsenal, Spurs, Villa, even Newcastle look to be making smart moves.

It’s a massive difference going from the Dutch league to the PL, with the added expectations placed on the manager of Man United to boot. They’ll be languishing around 10th by Christmas and if there’s not a significant turnaround, I can see him getting the boot at the end of the season.

3 Likes

Sponsored by the Glazers.

2 Likes

I had to explain to one of them that campaigning to get fans to click on Adidas’ Google Ads was about as pointless a protest as they could possibly come up with.

Any clicks deemed valid would be a tiny drop in the ocean of the ad spend of a company like Adidas and Google would soon recognise the fraudulent nature of clicking an ad, then hitting back and clicking the ad again time after time.

He was adamant that this was still a good idea though.

2 Likes

We know Man Utd will panic buy come the end of August and I worry about managers with such close minded approaches

West Ham , Leicester , crystal palace in there as well. All of whom are better placed to acquire good footballers much more affordably.

United will still struggle to get transfers done because of their years of mismanagement and overpaying. Any person coming to united is only in there for the money.

4 Likes

Sounds like there’s been some movement on De Jong, Goldbridge etc saying personal terms have been agreed (says while he doesn’t know the exact wage it’s in excess of £300k pw). Rumoured £64m fee.

Madness paying someone like de jong 300k a week. What are man utd thinking ?

I think hes a good albiet limited #8 but not someone who solves their dm issue.

1 Like