The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Where does this leave us on my favourite sushi, the prawn nigri roll.

2 Likes

Only because it is only in the translation that it becomes potentially offensive. Just as well he didn’t say it in English then.

1 Like

I think he would, because the context at that time was that the league wanted to show it was tough on racism. And Suarez was perfect to do that because he was widely disliked and considered a pantomime villain. They were always going to throw several books at him.

That doesn’t take away from the club handled it appallingly badly.

1 Like

A conversation between a Uruguayan and a Portuguese on a global social media platform should automatically be considered under UK laws and norms?

1 Like
2 Likes

Would it have been deemed ok if he’d used it in another country while playing for utd

Negro in Spanish DOES NOT mean ni@#er. It means Black. So unless black is offensive which as far as I am aware of it isn’t, then he shouldn’t be punished.

Negrito is diminutive. I’ll give some examples.
Minuto - minutito - minute
Rápido - rapidito - quick
Lento - lentito - slow etc etc

And on it goes. It’s the way the language works.

So saying negrito wasn’t using the diminutive for ni##er.

He was in an argument, he was trying to wind Evra up but he was not doing it in a racist way.
If he was being racist he would have said something along the lines of… Negro de mierda.

What he actually said “gracias negrito” LITERALLY translates to ‘thanks little black’ but ACTUALLY means more like thanks little one, and was being used in a condescending way like an English person from the UK would say, thanks little boy.

So stop transliterating, because it’s not the same meaning. You have to translate the idea.
Example: It’s raining cats and dogs - Está lloviendo gatos y perros - means absolutely nothing in Spanish. You have to translate it as, está lloviendo a cántaros - It’s raining jugs/pitchers.

OK?

13 Likes

You didn’t translate it, you transliterated it. Bingo, that’s how things go wrong.

A little knowledge and all that.

2 Likes

This is sort of why you are going to have a lower standard of living but be eating lots more fish in about six weeks…

4 Likes

What Suarez caused all that? Fucking hell the bucktoothed foreign bastard I’ll burn his shirt.

3 Likes

Why do I have a feeling that he won’t be even charged? Oh that’s right he plays for utd.

Semi-joking aside, this discussion was repeated ad nauseam 7 years ago, time really does fly, it didn’t make any sense then, it doesn’t make any sense now, although the prospect of having both the FA and Manure squirming is appealing. Of course, that won’t happen because unlike the Suarez case there is no public outrage fuelled by the media. I wonder why again. Oh that’s right he plays for utd.

3 Likes

You mean you haven’t already? I burned mine in the same fire I used for my Torres one. And my Gerrard one when he was going to leave for Chelsea.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t know. Nice little dig though, not your first either.

1 Like

To me, I don’t care what people post or say. I’m an advocate of freedom of speech. However if Suarez got done, that should set a prescident.

And more importantly, we are discussing a United player who deserves the book being thrown at him on principle.

1 Like

That’s a very interesting question. What laws should be used to govern what can and can’t be said online? @Hope.in.your.heart if somebody says something slanderous, nasty, horrific etc here that could carry legal implication, does it matter that it’s legal in their country or do we use UK law as it’s a UK forum? Thanks.

1 Like

Who says it is a UK forum?

2 Likes

We are discussing an innocent man. It doesnt matter what club he plays for. Justice is justice, revenge is not part of justice other than in dysfunctional countries. You would crucify a human being because he plays for a rival team? What is this? A civil war in the balkans?

1 Like

No, maybe a light hearted distraction from the chaos and madness of the current world? Lighten up a little bud :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a Barca Suarez shirt tbh.

1 Like

Its where the perceived offender is situate at the time of posting the material, unless its the Americans after you, then they try an assert extraterritoriality.

1 Like