The Middle East Thread

Is Mexico paying for it ?

The relations between Russia and Israel are decent enough and both the countries have sizable mutual trade.

Russia’s not in a position to play peacemaker but considering how much money Russian oligarchs (Roman mainly) have parked in Israel, they do have some influence over the Israeli govt. I don’t think it’s enough. The best possible case is that Israeli intelligence won’t do a strike on them (which might have been on the cards had the meeting been held in Jordan/Egypt) because they wouldn’t want to piss off a nation who’s noted for their espionage (and the fact that 18% of Israelis have Russian roots)

At this point of time , there’s no national entity (Arab / European / American) which can claim to represent the best interests of Palestinians. I don’t see any other country fronting up though.

You’re right that countries like Russia and China can get involved in this conflict. However , atleast as far as Russia is concerned , it’s not an enemy of Israel.

This is from Doctors Without Borders/MSF, not the Hamas

:sob:

1 Like

Fortunately, MSF can openly speak about the horror of this situation without being suspected of antisemitism, although I wouldn’t be surprised if the Israeli regime tries to put that tag on them as well.

Anyone involved who remains silent about this tragedy is now effectively complicit to the ongoing carnage, so well done MSF.

6 Likes

From the Guardian. I’m trying to find the source material.

Even if the fighting in Gaza stopped now, about 8,000 more people could still die there over the next six months due to the public health crisis caused by the Israel-Hamas war, according to a report by independent researchers in the US and Britain.

This is the best bit

In a worst-case scenario, where the fighting escalates and there are significant disease outbreaks, roughly 85,570 people may die by early August, with 68,650 deaths related to traumatic injuries, the report says.

and at the same time:

See? In my book, this carnage is as much the US government’s as Israel government’s fault, and they should be held accountable in front of the world for their inhumanity, as much as Israel’s government.

2 Likes

US keeps acting like a patronizing parent and then wonders why Israel acts like a spoiled brat.

2 Likes

There’s the entire UNSC to blame too. World peace to be maintained by countries who are most responsible for war crimes and crimes on humanity over the last 100 years. Ineffectual puppet organization lead by a cabal of self serving nations at the top.

In a less twisted and unjust world, Israel would be facing the same and worse sanctions as Russia. That said, much like Russia, I doubt that it would have made much of a difference. US stance is reprehensible and despicable but at the end of the day, it seems that the only thing able to stop Netanyahu and his cronies is internal pressure.

Which presently is far from sufficient.

1 Like

Not just that, but where other countries like Belarus are facing sanctions for their support of Russia, should countries like the US and UK be facing similar sanctions for their support of Israel?

3 Likes

Should George Bush Jr and Tony Blair be judged as war criminals ?

There are different yardsticks when it comes to judging US actions.

1 Like

Bush, definitely yes.

Blair possibly, or was he more guilty of being a dumbass that didn’t have enough braincells to think for himself? - And if that is the case, is that truely a war crime?

At this point, after what Israel has done? Absolutely.

Ironically, Belarus is somewhat justified in as much as its own dictator is Putin’s lap dog. The US and the UK have zero excuses.

But would there not a be case for the US/UK being Israel’s lapdog?

A case could be made, yes. Entirely their own doing too.

I don’t think Blair can be termed as a dumb person. He’s chosen to go along with the US establishment there knowingly.

What global sanctions is Russia facing? Many of the countries pounding on the table for the UN to do something about Gaza have blocked any discussion of UN sanctions

Quite a lot of Russian funds have been frozen. As well as funds belonging to Russian oligarchs aka Putin associates.

It’s another thing that the sanctions do not seem to have upset Russia too much in any sort of way. Sanctions against bigger countries often don’t. Russia is self sufficient in terms of most of the resources that matter. For everything else , there are countries like China , India (big economies in their own right) who continue to deal with them. They don’t seem to have any problems getting Oil and Gas brought off too by the European countries even if it means they are brought after being refined in India.

The same applies to Israel. Despite its economic ills of late , Israel is a massive R&D and arms manufacturing hub , Sanctions won’t matter.

1 Like

None of those sanctions are global. The US, UK, EU, etc have frozen funds, but the UN has done basically nothing. But many of the countries that are decrying the US support for Israel have been perfectly content to block discussion of global sanctions at the UN for two years while Russia has been mauling Ukraine - including some of the same class of war crimes such as deliberate destruction of civilian infrastructure.

In both cases, genuinely global sanctions would matter a great deal more than what has happened.

3 Likes

Goes back to what I’ve said about UN being an ineffectual organization with the heads (UNSC) being a cabal of war mongering countries each looking out for their own self interest.

The permanent membership of the security council or atleast the power of the veto needs to be diluted for UN to have any relevance.