The Middle East Thread

US funding ($221m) is 30% of UNRAW budget. That’s a huge hole to be filled in. BTW, $221m is about the same amount QSG spent to buy Mbappe.

2 Likes

Today has the potential to be of seismic significance in the US / Israel relationship. Last month, the US issued a new protocol, demanding those countries that receive arms affirm in writing that they abide by international law, including on humanitarian aid. Israel apparently gave assurances earlier this week. If the US doesn’t certify that declaration by today then presumably all arms sales stop immediately.

Freed article here : https://archive.is/YxLHZ

2 Likes

Crazy money. I’m not sure whether the Arabs are funding Palestinians in some other way , but the amount they’ve paid through UNRWA is despicably low considering their role in this entire Israel - Palestinians mess.

Israel will no longer approve UN food convoys to north of Gaza

The head of the UN Palestinian refugee agency (UNRWA) says that Israel informed the UN that they will no longer approve UNRWA food convoys to north of Gaza.

📍# Gaza: as of today, @UNRWA, the main lifeline for #Palestine Refugees, is denied from providing lifesaving assistance to northern Gaza.

Despite the tragedy unfolding under our watch, the Israeli Authorities informed the UN that they will no longer approve any @UNRWA food… pic.twitter.com/lfp9xRQuh1

— Philippe Lazzarini (@UNLazzarini) March 24, 2024

USA/Biden, you are aiding a genocide.

1 Like

And yet, the Biden administration continues to provide funds for Israel’s weaponry and ammunition, and has at the same time decided to not support UNRWA for the next year.

To be honest, I have a hard time to understand right now what this administration wants for the long term, but it mightily looks like supporting the genocide and allowing Israel to go on with its colonisation of Gaza, and a part of the West Bank as well.

The worst part is that if Trump gets elected next autumn, Israel will even enjoy more support from the US on everything they might want to do against the Palestinians.

Fixed

2 Likes

At this point, who doesn’t have blood on their hands?

2 Likes

That is not going to change overnight. The next incremental step will be seeing some real enforcement of the restrictions on weapons already in place, which seems to be slowly unfolding.

1 Like

Misinformation flowing throughout this entire episode

Where were these articles when normal people were saying the same in Nov 2023 ?

1 Like
1 Like

But remember: this offensive is all about eliminating Hamas and absolutely nothing to do with a land grab.

Honest.

Abstention at UN marks new rift between Biden administration and the Netanyahu government

OK, that’s something new

Israel should hopefully be reined in now. The Frankenstein monster of the US has clearly become unhinged.

1 Like

Hopefully, my friend, hopefully.

I Hope Please GIF

Schumer stepping up was a huge signal. Biden has repeatedly put Netanyahu in the position of proceeding as he wants at the expense of humiliating the United States precisely to build a constituency for this. Simple stuff like US aid not being able to land at Gaza because their ostensible ally was not willing to cooperate starts to shift the binary support-oppose into something else.

The US abstaining is a watershed moment for Israel.

I think it will mark the start of the end for Netanyahu, but the on the ground implications will not do much, or at least, won’t affect what has already been lost and is about to be lost.

I expect the Palestinians to suffer many more deaths, and to lose the whole of Gaza and more of the West Bank. They will probably be shunted to the Egyptian desert, as soon as compensation for Egypt is in play in a sufficient quantity.

A large enough gap is opening up between Netanyahu and the USA that it will spell the end for the former, but the damage is done to the Palestinians.