The Minor Leagues

Probably didn’t bring the away kit but yeah your right about the pitch regulations it’s the same at amateur level bar pitch frozen, I don’t think they care about that.

3 Likes

Ajax goalkeeper Andre Onana has been banned from football for 12 months by UEFA after he tested positive for a banned substance.

Very good on the ball, but looks like he’s a juicehead.

1 Like

They have Promess, who is under investigation for a stabbing, Onana, who is a doper, there’s stills no solution for the Nori case and they forgot to enter Haller in the EL squad at the UEFA.

Amsterdam, a city full of fuckups and would-be’s. :grinning:

4 Likes

Forgot about some of that or didn’t know until now. Crazy couple of days at Ajax.

2 Likes
1 Like

@Dutch @Flobs @Zoran @GermanRed @Neukölln @Werder4life @anon27364116 and other who live in football nations (that’s not England), do you watch your local games? What’s the quality of the games, what’s the atmosphere like?

1 Like

No, I don’t. My own team Holland Sport does no longer exist and after watching Liverpool play a match in the Dutch competition is like watch another sport. It’s the Mickey Mouse competition.

1 Like

I’ve been to see the local team and Nimes. There’s always a strianed atmoshere at matches as the season goes on and it is realised promotion is out of sight. It’s the main objective and spoils the whole experience. Nimes was horrible so much so I never went back. You see in France the fans are very attached to the club, supporters groups often get a say in ticket distribution and club affaires. When it comes to Marsielle due to the historically close relation between club and fans this can get mental.
A point though the persieved violence/aggression doesn’t spill onto the streets. My son lived for a few years (and I have driven past after matches) to the velodrome. The fans spill onto the streets but it is a good atmosphere, just during matches the anger can be felt when things are not going well.
As for the level wel 2nd division is well below Champioship I’d say between League 1 and 2 (division 3or 4). Amateur leagues are just not there’s money and a club can often afford a few part timers so non league footy can be a bit crazy where you have a load of local donkeys running around with a couple of quite decent players. Quite amusing.
The great thing in French football is the diversity of styles from English kick and chase, park the bus to the slow possession based continental stuff (and all it’s permutations). I think this is one of the reasons why France is such a great country at training youth players as well as the fact they actually get a chance to play.

1 Like

I’m getting more interested in non-English - particularly non-elite - leagues. A lot more diversity. The Premier League these days is almost always just one side having possession and the other counter attacking. Even Brighton vs Crystal Palace was Palace allowing Brighton possession to counter attack. It’s really boring (and genuinely irritating how often the unambitious team wins). I cannot remember seeing a game where both sides attacked each other from the off but in other leagues this does happen more.

2 Likes

Interesting question @Iftikhar. Once upon a time my family spent a great amount of time supporting NOFV Oberliga Nord which is currently 5th tier of German football. It was once 4th tier. Obviously Tasmania Berlin is my family’s club of support.

The atmosphere is wonderful but the football not so great. It was more about the community and the party and coming together. The world is a different place now, and unfortunately I don’t know if those moments will ever be recaptured.

EDIT: my daughter supports Tennis Borussia Berlin but I told her she is just a front runner! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

No, at least not regularly.

When I was a kid and generally younger, used to go to Sibenik games (hometown club in the 2nd and then 1st division). Sometimes to see Hajduk Split (the biggest club in the region and one of Croatia’s big two).

Used to go and watch a lot of Croatia’s home qualifier and friendly games. Opportunity to see a better level of football, some top players and teams from both sides.

The league wasn’t/isn’t great by any means. Some slight improvement’s been felt in last years however, since they narrowed the league down to 10 clubs. But infrastructure is still an area for huge improvement. Still largely dominated by Dinamo Zagreb in the last 20 years or so.

1 Like

Saddest thing is the Championship seems to be a carbon copy only Brentford seem to buck that trend and the wheels are coming off that.

Bournemouth are still quite attacking but since Howe went they have got a bit more defensive then again they seem to be struggling also.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Portuguese second division, I guess it would be classified as minor league?
Goalie from his own box scored against the opposition. Pretty embarrassing for the keeper on the receiving side. Video clip available in the article. (Not sure if this has been posted in the other topics.)

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFFxPPkKoNQ

Bit more informative than the previous links.

Have Ajax won the League @Dutch? They are 12 points ahead with four games remaining.

Why there’s 21 teams in the Turkish League???

Yeah they are probably in prison.

1 Like

Maybe he including another team made up of his loyal supporters.

1 Like

Sadly plenty of them :unamused:

1 Like

Maybe something to do with how the league “ended” last season. Also, if it happens this season, it will be the first time in 6 years that their biggest 3 clubs will occupy the top 3 places. Had a look because I couldn’t remember the last time some other club didn’t break up that big 3.

1 Like