The Music Thread

Ah yes the memories. I was lucky enough to see Queen and Freddie in 85. Some gig and he just owned the stage.

4 Likes

Saw Queen between /8 and 80 twice (!!!) in my hometown Saarbrücken, one open air with Rory Gallagher ( an absolute favorite of mine at the time ) and one or two years later in a concert hall. Those were two of my first concerts ever and I got hooked on live music. The funny thing about Queen for me is that they are until today one of my favorite bands and I still play their records up until the “Jazz” album. On the other hand I really hate them after (beginning with ) their “Radio gaga” time…

3 Likes

I felt that The Game had little going for it aside from the singles and Hot Space was massively ill conceived. They improved after that but their 1980s albums were very hit and miss as they were trying to reinvent themselves with new technology.

However, I thought the Innuendo album was superb. It would will sit easily against any of their 1970s albums.

3 Likes

I admit that I did not pay great attention to them after the early eighties because by the I was under the spell of my “holy trinity” of Clash/Damned/Dead Kennedys…But still then and until today I loved their albums up to that point of time.

1 Like

more genius in one short song than most bands on whole albums

1 Like

Seeing that it’s been raining all day:

1 Like

Don’t know why but for some reason I felt like revisiting this (odd) selection from back in the day…

1 Like

Linkin Park announces new vox and tour dates and immediately the vox is now accused of various stuff. The internet never forgets and forgives

You mean there are crimes greater than being vocalist for Linkin Park?

Being the guitarist for Slayer

5 Likes

I read in the news that the bassist Herbie Flowers has died. He was a founder member of the prog rock group Sky, but he is probably best known as a session musician. One of those names that pops up in the credits of album sleeve notes.

Anyway, this is a very prominent example of his work:

1 Like

The real Slayer guitarist was Jeff Hannemann.

King plays “solos” that sound like a drunk bloke tripping on a metal bucket and hitting the fretboard with his face.

3 Likes

Young Chelsea fans.

1 Like

A few years ago, I picked up a “Best Of Ska” double CD in a charity shop for about 50p. It has that on it amongst other things. It’s a mix of 1960s Ska and the later 2Tone stuff. I don’t think there is a bad track on it. I always stick it on in the car when I need cheering up.

2 Likes

An all time top tune. RIP :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

One of the criminally overlooked

1 Like

Gilbert and George dance Northern Soul.

1 Like

When I’m upset, I seek solace in the Velvet Underground.

2 Likes

I’m watching the Beat-Club new year’s eve show from 1968. Holstein Kiel vs Bayern later. May go for some troll based Finnish folk-death-metal to go with it.

Preach, brother!