The Owners - FSG

Craig and Javier Bardem are in talks to buy the club.

1 Like

Could come in handy during contract negotiations.

“Sign on the dotted line. Friendo.”

1 Like
10 Likes

There was a level of criticism aimed at the club regarding Sean Cox in the early days, mainly because the club didnt vocalise their support for the family and for Sean.

I think the wider LFC community, including the club, ex players, SOS, Boss Nights etc showed a real culture of caring and compassion in that instance. Hopefully Sean is getting a bit better every day.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s worth it’s own thread but it looks like FSG are about to buy an Ice Hockey team, the Pittsburgh Penguins of the NHL. I’m a big hockey fan so it’s particularly interesting to me and it’s values at around $850 million. The current owner is Mario Lemieux who played for the Penguins and was one of the greatest players of all time so they must have big plans because he wouldn’t just sell it to anyone.

5 Likes

I think this shows that FSG aren’t selling Liverpool any time soon, with Le Bron and that Cardinal chap this seems to be another purchase in a growing sports empire.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s a good time to acquire the Penguins. The star players are near the end of their careers and the team is due a rebuild. Hockey is a decent investment because there is a salary cap and revenues are shared between the teams and players 50/50. It gives cost certainty so for a well run team it should be a solid investment.

FSG, read the Red Sox, could be in for a labour strike, extremely bad for baseball who have a mainly old fanbase. The last strike cost them a lot of fans who never returned.

1 Like

This was posted on TIA. John Henry’s got the detail about Suarez’ contract wrong. He probably shouldn’t have said anything!

2 Likes

I think you are misunderstanding the MLB situation. If there is an interruption, it will be a lockout from the owners’ side, not a strike. It will also start December 1, play havoc with the free agency window, and almost certainly be done by the end of February, long before it affects even training.

2 Likes

Could be completely irrelevant, but it’s at least interesting that the Penguins are in the same sort of category as the Red Sox and Liverpool - Working class roots of a club, geographically close to richer clubs but still have a rich history of winning.

4 Likes

It does not matter how you call it, it will be seen as greed from the owners and players.

Sure, but fans are barely going to notice it if it is resolved by the end of February.

1 Like

Well on the Orioles boards I visit they notice it already and are waiting for December the first. The more casual fan will notice the lack of free-agent activity too, or the fact that the winter meetings will be canceled and that is the best-case scenario if it drags on into spring training or the season who knows what will happen.

For a lot of young people, baseball is not fast enough, if they lose another large part of the older fanbase the sport itself could be in serious trouble. Let’s hope that cooler heads prevail.

We’re in danger of going drastically off topic, but this always strikes me as the sporting equivalent of the Demographics is Destiny fallacy. People who were once young will not always be so and they wont always have the attitude on issues like sports and entertainment or politics as they had in their youth.

2 Likes

Can’t see any negatives in this myself from my initial read.

The development, which comes after extensive consultation with representatives from Spirit of Shankly in recent months, was confirmed today with nearly 99 per cent voting in favour of the new engagement model by members of SoS, the club’s recognised Supporters Trust.

The board has been developed as part of the club’s commitment to strengthen dialogue with supporters and increase the involvement of fans in decision-making processes in order to ensure engagement is more robust and effective. As such, the new process will be put in place to enable deeper consultation with supporters on fan-facing strategic decisions.

The Supporters Board will be made up of a group of supporters that represent the club’s diverse fanbase. The Supporters Trust will be responsible for running the Supporters Board and will be liaising with its affiliate groups and the wider supporter base in order to ensure such representation is achieved. The Supporters Board will hold regular meetings with the club and the chair will be invited to attend LFC’s main board meetings when fan-facing strategic matters arise.

The make-up of the Supporters Board will consist of 10 Spirit of Shankly committee members, plus six other representatives drawn from other fan organisations, including Liverpool Disabled Supporters Association, Kop Outs, Spion Kop 1906, Official Liverpool Supporters Clubs, Liverpool Women’s Supporters Committee, and faith and ethnic groups. The chair and vice-chair will be elected from the members of the Supporters Board by the members of the Supporters Board.

The existing fan forums structure will remain in place but will be reshaped into three main working groups to cover ticketing, matchday experience, and equality, diversity and inclusion (ED&I). This will ensure operational issues and ‘day to day’ matters continue to be discussed by club officials and supporters in order to facilitate tactical collaborative working. When appropriate, these matters will also be represented at Supporters Board level.

The new engagement process will be enshrined in the club’s Articles of Association and a legally binding Memorandum of Understanding between the club and the Official Liverpool Supporters Trust will be entered into, thereby ensuring supporters input on fan issues via structured dialogue.

There are interviews with Hogan and Blott (SoS Chair) too.

2 Likes

:rofl:

God help us.

2 Likes

Yip, watch that shit turn into a who are we signing, who we should be signing, who we should sell, how much do we have for transfers committee.