The Owners - FSG

Such a weird season. A good first 14 games but we did get beat 7-2 in that run (with both Vvd and Gomez playing). Then an awful next 14 through to March that was our worst run in decades. Then somehow turn it around and go unbeaten in our last 10 picking up 26 points out a possible 30.

Whoever we bought in March really made a difference :wink:

3 Likes

I think he was erring on the side of caution in that he didn’t quite trust the newbies (and by that I just mean those who had less experience within our defensive system) to be up to scratch tactically. Hence preferring Fabinho and even Henderson until it became clear that Phillips was ready to be the defensive leader of sorts in there.

We also played notably more compact and cautious, which reduced the opportunities we had, making the finishing failures a lot more costly. Doesn’t help that between Kabak, Phillips, and Williams, none of them are close to being as fast as our regulars.

2 Likes

Agreed 100%. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I’m not sure it would’ve been a different result either way.

I know. Thank you.
Thats when I started my unbeaten run in starting match threads. Only to be usurped in my prime.
But thanks for noticing…!

2 Likes

Dad, tell me about Klopp’s Liverpool. They must have been some team.

Sorry son. I don’t really remember. I spent the time moaning about transfers and demanding the owners spend more money.

6 Likes

There are a lot of echoes of Van Dijk about this. There were a lot of fans screaming for the club to move on and go and spend 40m on a bang average centre back when the Van Dijk deal fell through originally. We’d have never got Van Dijk in that case.

4 Likes

There is a lesson there, listen to the actions of the man, not your interpretation of what you think you heard from his words.

1 Like

Or

They were amazing son but they should have won more trophies than they did but the owners were tight fuckers.

4 Likes

ÂŁ110m of talent added to the team since we won the title.

Cryarsing because it wasn’t £210m is just being petulant.

3 Likes

Yes, because one of the most highly sought-after managers wouldn’t just quit if he felt as though he was working under impossible circumstances.

Thought I’d post this here because I couldn’t think of anywhere particularly suitable:

The article is questioning whether clubs should cater more for “digital” fan rather than those that watch in person.

Reading a bit further in a “digital” appears not so much fans that watch on TV but for whom the prime motivation is playing FIFA and presumably the whole gambling side of the game. They are more interested in transfers and match stats than the actual game and player development.

In terms of FSG I expect they will follow the money but is that what anyone really wants?

I’m someone who used to regularly go to our home games but now watches exclusively on TV as I live abroad. For me, I want the TV experience to be as close to the matchday experience as possible.

The question is how much this digital audience can be monetised. I don’t think it’s a smart way to go simply because they strike me as rather fickle. Matchday fans might grumble when we have a poor run of results but the digital ones will simply disappear into the ethernet.

2 Likes

I’d be following @cynicaloldgit out the door if that happens…

For me football is purely about the building of a team that can compete to win, through team work and togetherness rather than some fantasy football shit of throwing players together a la PSG or City.

5 Likes

While our owners are not perfect, I also sympathized with them, because they can never win. Building a club this big into one that is self sustainable and always in the shout for titles but still not good enough. While they deserve criticism for some of the mistakes they made, some of the biggest criticism always come because of buying players. Did they not invest in other areas in and out of the club that deserves our applause? It is almost as if building a self funding club is never good enough, the owners need to put in their own money to the tune of making negative returns and sacrificing their personal wealth, only then will they be, maybe, considered a passable owner.

2 Likes

I don’t see anybody asking for that but they’ve have realised a massive return this year, largely through owning us. They really haven’t invested in us much at all and have fully had their investment back. Club funds and prior profits could have been used more ambitiously and lines of credit utilised, as they are regularly by us and other clubs IF required, so we could have still operated and strengthened during the pandemic. The irony is that FSG have themselves prospered as a financial entity during the pandemic but Liverpool have been left to tighten our belts and not risk significant spending in an attempt to cope or prosper.

People keep talking like “oh poor FSG we can’t expect anything from them”! The truth is they are benefiting massively by owning us. Nobody even wants them to use their own money. In the early days when they first bought us we were allowed to use credit during tricky financial years in an attempt to get us back to being a going concern on the pitch again. Those lines of credit were repaid through club revenues and a similar approach could have been taken to see us not fall off during the pandemic. We saw what Klopp could achieve last season with using the likes of Phillips and Kabak. How well we are still doing this season after only one CB coming in.

It’s not like we shouldn’t have a good credit rating to utilise lines of credit from either FSG or elsewhere;

7 Likes

2 weeks without football and the window closing… This thread is going to take a hammering…

2 Likes

And yet despite all of your recent digging out of the owners and complaints of them stopping Klopp bringing another centre back in, at the time you were on board with that. In fact, you also wanted to shove Matip out too and replace him as well with Fabinho being fourth choice. Not a Lovren replacement, a Matip replacement.

And, you actually believed that what was recently suggested and kick started this latest moan fest, that we couldn’t land the perfect deal so waited a year. So which is it, we waited for the right deal or Klopp was cruelly denied the player he so badly needed that you didn’t think we needed anyway?

I guess the saying is true, hindsight is 20/20. You’re now using that hindsight to say the owners were wrong and denied Klopp what he asked for. Reality is, you were fully supportive of this at the time and have since flip flopped your opinion having forgotten where you stood at the time.

3 Likes

The problem in this, which has been your problem all along, is that you are calling for a course of action that our hugely successful and adored manager probably doesn’t want.

4 Likes

And further developing the stadium and lowering ticket prices.

Aquafuckingducts.

3 Likes

Have you stocked up on popcorn?

1 Like

Right well first I’m not running the football club I’m just a guy on the Internet. Klopp, the football guy in running the football club, was on the record that Summer wanting 4 CBs and the following winter as recommending one be brought in.

Second I can and frequently have been wrong and/or changed my views when more information has come to light.

Third I was NEVER on board with Fabinho being needed in CM week in week out and Matip being one of only 3 CBs at the club. I’ve ALWAYS said we can’t carry Gomez, Matip and Lovren due to their injury records and need to move on Matip and Lovren for a robust CB. That’s completely different than saying let Lovren go and leave Matip there as the non robust CB. Me being alright with Fabinho there was him to be at least half the time a proper CB and the CM to be OK without him. Turned out CM wasn’t. I also expected/wanted Ki Jana Hoever to be Fabinhos understudy in that flexible role of extra DM option and CB option so we’d have had two players for two roles. Not Fabinho on his own. You can’t do half the things I wanted then say we did what I wanted!