The Owners - FSG

Mo money, no Mo problems.

1 Like

A season when half his team was out with injury he had a Winter break and got half his team back and they climb from something silly like 18th to 6th if I remember and made a cup final.

1 Like

Strange antipathy when he states he likes FSG as owners? Read back his recent post where he says this.
He questions decisions, and is routinely answered, but he is not guilty of ā€œshittingā€ on anyone.
Go to in match threads where players get decimated to see real ā€œshittingā€ on.

And your point on the previous owners us nailed on, no argument there.

2 Likes

Arsenal reporting a loss of Ā£107m in 20/21. Ā£200m owed to parent company ā€œat favourable rate.ā€ Ā£120m government loan repaid.

However you paint it, that isnā€™t good in comparison to us. Then since gone and splurged another Ā£125m net on players this summer.

Mortgaging the farm in an attempt to get back into the Champions League?

5 Likes

I remember the days of H&G when we had to place those betsā€¦

2 Likes

Plus significant additional investment to get from this position to where they feel they need to be. Unless they can unearth some sort of ungodly savvy signing, they are looking at 100 million quid in investment in their forward line before they can even think about touching any other area of the team.

3 Likes

Weā€™re seeing the downside of sugar daddy owners now.

1 Like
6 Likes

I like this guy because he explains things in a way even I can understand. Few things stood out to me. Weā€™re 3rd highest in the PL for commercial revenue but closing in on United. This is one area where Iā€™ve felt FSG could have done better so far. We are a massive club with a huge fanbase and a charismatic manager and a squad of world stars. We will never have a better time to overtake United and we are now on the verge of doing that. We wonā€™t catch City but, of course, they are cheating.

Wages fell even in a year when bonuses were paid out for winning the PL. We have the 4th highest wage bill in the PL and the 4th lowest wage/turnover ratio (City have the 3rd lowest. How do they do it?). Despite losing money in the last two seasons we are operating well within FFP rules.

9 Likes

Hereā€™s the Tl;dr for anyone short on time.

10 Likes

I think it is much harder to do than people give credit for.

4 Likes

Maybe. Iā€™ve never run a football club so I wouldnā€™t know but I do know that this Liverpool squad and manager are a marketing dream. Klopp has to be the most instantly recognisable manager in the world and our best players have something about them. They are not just good at football. They are relatable. Compare that to City. A team of faceless Pepbots boring the pants off everyone with a weird nerdy manager whoā€™s had a charisma by-pass. We are absolutely massive. Always have been, even when we were shit, so we need to make the most of it while we can and it looks like weā€™re finally getting there. It will be interesting to see how the Nike deal impacts on revenue.

5 Likes

City not only generate dodgy deals but also hoover up legit deals by offering to accept lower terms than other clubs will. Theyā€™ve won more stuff than us in recent years which carries weight in attracting the deals.

People have been knocking FSG over the commercial deals for a while yet its hard to imagine they would be slack in driving that income, and if you compare us with other non city clubs, then our commercial record is pretty good.

2 Likes

I would never compare our commercial revenue record with Cityā€™s. Itā€™s very easy to generate commercial income when youā€™re setting up deals with yourself or close relatives. My benchmark has always been United. We are at least as big as them in global support terms and weā€™ve been much more successful in recent years.

8 Likes

So deapite issues on the pitch and decreases in revenues we continued the trend of quickly paying off debts and keeping interest payments low.

Not paid much in:

Despite this mega deal benefitting them mostly off the back of owning us:

Iā€™m not going to feel bad about Ā£50m losses when our previous years profits were around Ā£200m:

No chances of coming anywhere near FFP issues even if they mattered:

Weā€™ve also paid at least Ā£250m in allowable expenses like the Stadium and training ground over the Klopp years which has all improved the value of LFC (benefitting FSG as per Red Bird pay in) whilst 100% being funded by LFC revenues even though even FFP doesnā€™t stop FSG covering some/all of those costs (after all those costs have helped them recover hundreds of millions):

1 Like

Suspicious Thinking GIF by Originals

1 Like

Itā€™s brilliant isnā€™t it, really glad you agree. Best owners ever?

4 Likes

That will be really interesting.

The first year of the Nike deal was, by the accounts Iā€™ve read, mildly disappointing in that it only kept pace with New Balance.

However, given the deal started in the pandemic when people were less likely to buying football shirts, we ought to see that grow soon. Unless Vlad goes full Hitler, in which case football shirts are the last thing on anyoneā€™s mind.

2 Likes

You shouldnā€™t feel bad. Weā€™re in great shape.

3 Likes

There have been people making a deal about our losses over the last couple of years.