The Owners - FSG

Yeah, I didn’t intend my comment to be interpreted as there being strong anti-Klopp sentiment. As Nik said, it was a somewhat bizarre situation to find ourselves in seemingly choosing between two such highly rated managers, and in that context the doubts about Klopp among fans were real.

3 Likes

Yes they do. Davies was a gamble that didn’t pay off (one of those buys that doesn’t align with how we do the rest of our business), Kabak was someone we were linked with in the previous summer and someone many people wanted to keep at the end of his loan. And there’s zero chance Leipzig were selling us Konate when we were due to play them in the CL in February so it’s not as if we could try and pull that deal forward.

You can’t moan about not signing players and then say the ones we brought in don’t count. We got the centre back people were crying out for. Short term solution to a short term problem. Did the job, got us CL and now we’re flying. I don’t even know what you’re moaning about at this point.

1 Like

Kabak did a pretty good job for us, of course he counts. Not sure about the ‘mysterious’ Ben Davies though.

It was like when we bought Balotelli in. I can’t believe you’re making a serious argument that our recruitment that window was fine.

Look what I don’t get is this;

We were led to believe the club was looking at over a hundred million in losses due to covid. We weren’t. Lost revenue (lost profits) not losses.

Klopp has admitted that recruitment in that window was what he recommended and he’d been overruled/it wasn’t his decision.

On the 3rd of January we were top of the league, still in the CL and the FA cup with only two injured CBs. We had a chance, a serious chance, to win any of those.

Due to playing week in week out eventually Matip, Henderson and Fabinho all ended up joining the injury list, we can’t know for sure if those injuries would have still happened without them being overplayed but logically you’d be lowering the chances of it by being able to rotate, its what rotation is for.

We bought Konate by triggering a release clause, its unknown if that could or couldn’t be done that winter, or if we still would or wouldn’t have bought him that summer if we bought another CB that winter, or if that other CB was as good or better than Konate, its all conjecture. But we know Klopp wanted to recruit and wouldn’t harm us long term for short term. But he wanted to recruit.

FSG increased their value during the pandemic. They actually made hundreds of millions in investment into them. A big factor for why others chose to invest in them was us and our invrease in value. FSG earned hundreds of millions due, mostly, to owning us. They bought a new sports team due to this financial windfall.

I like FSG as owners, but I seriously believe if the football experts they’ve hired to run us (especially one as frugal with his spending demands as Klopp) says we need “this” then they need to fucking pony up the money and get “this”! To blame it on the money when it turns out the money wasn’t so bad is unacceptable and can’t be allowed to be repeated.

We went from being in a good position to challenge for 3 trophies, being in the lead in one to hoping for at least one of two other clubs to have a collapse in form so we could rescue CL qualification and save best part of £100m in revenues.

I’m not thankful that AFTER Matip got a season ending injury and AFTER we’d entered a terrible period of struggle we finally sprung into action attempting to bring in reinforcements. I’m glad we at least managed the loan of Kabak and gamble on Davies as without them we may not have even made top 4. But thats not even the bare minimum that should be expected when we limped to January top of the league.

We’ve seen this season how important adding Konate was to us being able to challenge, also how much of a positive bounce to form and mood a good January acquisition like Dias has had to us.

What I can’t believe is how more people aren’t angry.

2 Likes

Why is this discussion still going on?

Klopp has come out an unequivocally said that we have money but the signing has to clearly improve the team.

I mean it’s all a little pointless now isn’t it?

I’ve said this before. Teams around Europe literally want to copy paste our structure and poach our people. Everyone is jealous we have FSG and we’re shitting on them?

3 Likes

Who is the “we’re” thats shitting on them?
@AnfieldRdDreamer asks questions and gets rounded on. Not like he is screaming for FSG out or anything, just expressing his view on their performance as owners.
In a discussion thread about the owners.
I genuinely cannot see how anyone is, as you eloquently put it “shitting” on the owners?

7 Likes

…and said he wanted and had recommended at least one signing that window. We NOW, just now, get the financial accounts that pour shit loads of doubt on the idea that we couldn’t afford to recruit in that window.

The issue is that as of January 2021 Alpha had just hit. Vaccines had only just started to be rolled out. Nobody knew how long and to what degree covid would continue to impact everything.

FSG took what they felt were prudent decisions at the time. They’ve been vindicated. Yes, hindsight says they could perhaps have gone further but we would be in a worse situation now if they had done. As it is, we’re in much better shape than most and by far the best shape of any club that does it by the book.

We’re stronger now than we were, stronger than where we were compared to our rivals, the squad the best its ever been, and the capability of further improving in the summer.

Magnificent.

12 Likes

The accounts show a £5mil loss, that means negative money. What money are you saying was available for signings? You’re talking about loading debt onto the club, I for one am very thankful our owners didn’t.

3 Likes

I’m so glad you don’t run our club’s finances

3 Likes

I’m not going to dig through here and point out the factual fallacies that are in this logic. Like @Flobs mentioned above, your counter point is appreciated here.

However, comments like “I don’t understand why more people aren’t mad” is exactly why you get the response you do.

You offer great counter points but also fail to listen to any other points than your own. My biggest complain in your whole logical structure is this dead certain fact you claim that FSG and Klopp were at odds. Klopp literally states in an interview how much he learned he hurt the team by weakening the midfield to play them in defense. This doesn’t sound like him at odds with FSG more like that’s the plan they came up with together. It’s quite obvious if konate was available we would’ve signed him that window. We aren’t against that methodology.

You hedge all of this based on the thought that you’ll be disappointed when Klopp’s reign comes to an end because we haven’t won enough trophies and you assume we won’t win more trophies for a long period of time because Klopp is the only reason we’ve won. That outlook isn’t just problematic but it’s sad because we are in a period of brilliant greatness and you don’t even let yourself enjoy it.

5 Likes

Jurgen having a bit of a flap and forgetting there is a plan isn’t exactly unheard of.

Its well known that in the run up to January 2018, Jurgen was having a wobble about signing Van Dijk, feeling that £75m was too much money. Werner and Henry had to talk him round, and tell him that he was the transformational defensive signing that they all agreed on and not to worry about the fucking money.

Jurgen is the main football voice at the club. Should they have listened to him then?

Jurgen is not an autocrat at the club, and I doubt very much he wants to be.

2 Likes

I was the opposite when hearing it was between these two. Ancelotti Always came across as incredibly boring, while on the other hand was not impressed with Klopp’s last season, even though I was impressed by the previous 6? years at bd.

Totally agree with the first interview comment. He nailed it.

2 Likes

Yes, we NOW know the extent of the financial impact. But last January they didn’t and they also didn’t know what else might come and disrupt the season and finances. And yes the overall loss was small but there’s still a nearly £70m hole in match day revenue alone.

But you are using hindsight that they didn’t have at the time. Why don’t you get that?

This is pathetic Trumpian rewriting of things. I suggest you go back review some of things you said about him when he signed. It only serves to lose your argument even more credibility.

4 Likes

Did anybody ever see him … :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Well I didn’t want to say @AnfieldRdDreamer outright because I don’t like singling people out and also because I tend to find that a lot of his other opinions add value to my understanding of the club.

But I do believe he has a strange antipathy to the owners which is very deep rooted.

I have no interest in being eloquent because I do feel that constantly going on about how the owners haven’t splurged on transfers after we brought in Luis Diaz and have managed the club really well is shitting on them. Perfectly ok if others don’t agree.

The only owners who can constantly splurge on players are despots or their cronies. For everyone else the club is an asset that needs to be finanically attractive. As long as FSG don’t leech money out of LFC I’m happy for them to make money as well.

I very clearly remember the days of Hicks and Gillette and I’m very clear that short term glory (maybe) is worse than a stable long term foundation.

3 Likes

Mo money no problems… swag…

1 Like

Well, I certainly didn’t.

2 Likes

The lovely Linda. How can she not brighten up a day :heart_eyes:

Time for a pot noodle, methinks.

2 Likes