The Owners - FSG

If Klopp stays, we’ll have 2 options:

1. Build an LFC direct line to Wembley
  2. Rebuild Wembley in Liverpool

Think I’d prefer the former, the southerners can see our magnificence a few times per season.

Also would like to add FSG and their interest in Fulham prior to their liverpool takeover. They clearly place an interest in history etc etc when they look at clubs that they want to takeover

Not sure if Anfield can be expanded beyond 61k. But if there remains an expansion plan which can take the stadium to 70k and above , that would be the best solution.

Clubs left and right are moving to new stadiums and almost always suffering as a consequence.

2 Likes

Arsene Wenger said that moving from Highbury to Emirates Stadium has lost its soul.

5 Likes

Years ago we weighed the pros and cons of a new stadium. Even with the difficulty of expansion, that’s the path we chose, and rightly so.

Anfield is a special place. There’s something incredible about playing on the same patch as all the legends we’ve had over the years. For some it’s all mumbo-jumbo, but for many Liverpool fans it adds a crucial couple of percent, as the fans and the history all pull in concert with Klopp and the magnificent team he has built.

New stand, check.
New Anny Rd, on the way.

Let’s see if there will be more to come down the line. It is organic, affordable, and unique. As a piece of design you could argue in favour of a custom designed stadium from the ground up, but where’s the soul?

We are Liverpool and we do things our way, and long may it continue.

6 Likes

It might be more cost effective to build a stadium in another location from scratch in some cases. But the soul of the club would be lost. There are reasons why teams fear to come to anfield and the atmosphere in the stadium is one of that

1 Like

I’ll admit to disagreeing with Peter “I’m tryng to sell my architecture business” McArse who waxed lyrical about his plans for a re-developed Anfield. I saw the H&G plans and thought wow. However, what FSG have done with Anfield (and their future plans) is/are magnificent. So glad nobody ever listens to me.

4 Likes

It’s degrees though. Highbury wasn’t called the library without justification.

1 Like

The Kop is in danger of being dwarfed by the other stands, but the only way to expand it would be to turn Walton Breck Rd, which at present prohibits Kop expansion outwards, into a subway. Apart from the traffic chaos this would mean during the subway’s construction, it would also mean the demolition of a church and the Park pub. That or build a second tier over the Kop, which would be a non-starter.

1 Like

Might be a non starter now but 10 years down the line perhaps.

There remains the option to take the Kop partially over the WBR similar to Villa Park.

2 Likes

Ha I love that. Looks like the monaco grand prix…except in Birmingham

if TFL are extenting all the way to L4, then I’m fucking loving it.

1 Like

That is only cause Highbury never had a soal to carry over to Emirates when it was completed

How have I never seen this before!

1 Like

The problem with expanding the Kop is that it’s not going to include hospitality boxes which really increase revenue.

It would be great, but I can’t see the owners sanctioning a major expansion that doesn’t bring a huge increase in profits.

https://www.mlb.com/news/fenway-park-has-a-farm

4 Likes

This might be better in the Anfield and Kirkby thread but anyone know how the rail seating has worked out?

1 Like

That’s always what I’ve felt too. Highbury was a lovely old stadium with a special atmosphere (quiet due to the fans, but nonetheless atmospheric… a bit like a beautiful library). Now, their place is a soulless bowl with zero atmosphere whatsoever.

2 Likes

Highbury was grand, historic, but it didn’t have any atmosphere, not to consider it special at any rate. That marbled entrance though and the cannons…awesome.

3 Likes