The Owners - FSG

Denver was sold for over $4 billion.

I think LFC is a better asset because it has global appeal. But an NFL franchise is the most prestigious sporting asset for an American.

FYI I’m meeting with an EPL owner this week. :innocent: I’ll see if he has any insight.

5 Likes

I personally think the valuation has close to peaked or the rate of growth has slowed to less than they could make with a bond investment.

2 Likes

How many sportswashing entities are left? I thankfully didn’t really notice any pop up for Chelsea sale, noticed a lot of chancers thou.

ARD is just going to amortize it

1 Like

@ISMF1 is John Henry confirmed!

Hmmm…are there any ‘liberal’ oil states out there, or would that be a contradiction in terms?

As mentioned above, Norway, but they don’t really need to spruce up their image.

2 Likes

I suppose it is not known for dissenters to break away from the Church of Rome. I’m not sure whether Martin Luther got to keep the stadium and the Premier League slot, though.

1 Like

Can someone calculate how long it would take me to make £10billion relatively ethically. Assuming I start with $100, make a perfect decision every day. FWI the extra £6billion is for walking around money.

Or maybe you would prefer that the Glazer’s sell Man U and buy us.

He can’t afford the $8 a month.

Actually, surprisingly quickly. That’s the Wheat and Chessboard problem. The tricky bit is making a perfect decision every day.

2 Likes

This has been on the cards since the various bodies who were supposed to protect the game failed in that key objective.

If we had a rules based order, I would put FSG up against anyone. They are not perfect, but they have run us well, built us up, and have grown the income to the level that we should be competitive with anyone, on a sustainable basis.

However…

Our model cannot compete with nation States who have been allowed to buy the game. Not over the long haul. We might have an alignment of the stars with recruitment, manager, coaching etc. where we compete for a stretch e.g. the last few years with Man City, but over the long haul? When they can buy who they like, and pay what they like without scrutiny? As can Newcastle? Others too.

I’ve said this phrase a few times, but we are fighting according to the Queensbury Rules, when somewhere along the way it is now MMA.

Like all reds I am watching to see what happens next.

Will it be a sovereign wealth fund? Norway please, but no chance - why would they do that?

Apart from that, who has got the money to do better than FSG? It’s hard to see beyond people we don’t want.

If it is a nation state with a dubious track record, Klopp might be vulnerable to bowing out, and fans will protest, so prospective dodgy owners will get cold feet.

For the life of me I am struggling to see how this ends well.

14 Likes

I read a piece on Saudi Arabia, long term the state will probably collapse due to the infrastructure and demographics it’s why they’ve liberalised ever so slightly.

They’ve built a multi billion tech park out there but no one’s invested in it and welfare. Education and so on is so lacking because of the strict dogmatic rules.

If we want a reasonable owner it’s likely to be another Northern American possibly involved in Tech, the Spotify guy wanted to buy Arsenal as he was a fan so I have no doubt someone high up in tech has yearnings for us.

Take that WWE event they have, the crowd for the first two were blokes in traditional dress and it was about as thrilled as someone watching a PowerPoint presentation (also women weren’t allowed) now they make half of the card (not saying it’s great and personally I only watched it as I have a free trial subscription.

2 Likes

Your post is absolutely spot on.

The only entities willing to spend £4bn on a football club would be doing so for an ulterior motive.

5 Likes

They sold an 11% stake for $750 million dollars to red bird something or other, so that math has 100% at ~ $6.8 billion. Not always apples to apples, but they will want north of that so that the red bird investment group has a chance at a profit, or they will only sell ownership stake. But won’t want less than the valuation they sold chunk to red bird for.

1 Like

I disagree.

Don’t underestimate the power of prestige and ego.

1 Like

The timing seems odd, with the Anfield Road redevelopment still ongoing.

That’s the Mbappe fund.

1 Like

That was in FSG not in Liverpool football club.

I think that’s the key difference this whatever it is, is effectively selling part of LFC if not whole and I wonder if that is why the likes of Morgan Stanley are involved.

The article I found that I posted up above mentions that and why the Milan deal had enough distance between us. I do still think it is possible they may be involved as it mentioned in May they had set out for a new investor portfolio directly related to sports (seems somewhat unlikely that the turn around on that was in relation to the acquisition of Milan).