The Owners - FSG

Not sure if FSG have actually told Jurgen there is no money for a CB…!
Me thinks if Jurgen wanted a CB that he has earmarked in January…
Jurgen would get his CB in January…!
We know John Henry is no idiot…
So we can therefore concur… he wouldn’t dare argue with our Jurgen :0)

2 Likes

I wonder if any football club owners/shareholders get any dividends. I think the ownerships/investments are purely to enrich their brand portfolio rather than any financial bottom-line. The other consideration for such investments is to expand their social, political, business networks to strengthen their existing business portfolios.

I think any sale is subjected to valuation by an independent third-party to prohibit any over as well as under valuation. Besides, any aggrieved party can go to court to stop the sale if they feel it’s not in their best interests.

Yes, that is an issue specially since we aren’t traded on stock-market where an investor could off-load his/her shares.

True. However, not only a new investor will only come on board if he likes the existing roadmap, but the owners will also accept someone with similar philosophy. So though minority on the board, it’s more likely to be a consensus/across the board decision, with the ideas of the new investors taken into consideration.

Liverpool is currently valued at £2 billion. Though the financial outlay from FSG is just £300 million, they have taken all the risks and have done the hard work to grow it to present value. For example, the valuation for Newcastle was just £350 million because it needs lots of work (and money) to make it grow.

1 Like

Wondering where the FSG out brigade are today?

3 Likes

They’re out.

5 Likes

Busy praying all the deals collapse, so their views will be vindicated.

3 Likes

Was never FSG out but did want them to back down and make money available for a desperately needed CB. Funny if I’m being termed “FSG out” nowadays as I used to be accused of being an FSG PR plant in the past :joy:

6 Likes

Give them few hours and they will come out moaning why FSG has left it for the last minute. Not no mention with their expert opinion about how the players (we sign) are utter shit and we FSG been a miser not paying a premium for that Bull kid.

2 Likes

@Iftikhar @Draexnael Well, I am not in favour of FSG out.
But , FSG should not be immune to criticism at certain times. You may like us signing players last day, but to be honest, this situation was alarming for the last few months already and we shouldn’t need to wait till Fab and Hendo started getting injured and Joel suffered another serious injury. This is especially the case, when we were only looking for short term solutions.
And,if you see Boss’ s interview last night, the reason why we are panic buying short term deals now is because ,if Nat/Hendo goes injured, who will play at CB (Millie/Robbo) etc…God knows.
I am sure this Ben Davies deal isn’t a first team starter either. He is more of a back up if Hendo/Fab/Nat goes out to an injury. I would be really surprised if Ben gets to start a league game, barring injury to the 3 players I mentioned.
And, I am glad atleast one way or the other club has realised their mistake of not looking for cover in the initial stages of the window. The only problem with doing deals at this stage is, that we are not allowing selling clubs any time to buy replacements , which is why a couple of reliably reported deals fell through yesterday !!
Hopefully Kazak will be signed today as a proper backup player and Hendo can get back to midfield. I guess Fab will stay there for a few more months, the way Matip is looking.

And, quite frankly, I don’t like the whole idea of polarisation of people into FSG in/out categories.

4 Likes

You see this is the problem, no FSG are not immune from criticism, far from it. They’ve made mistakes.

But…

You have fucking zero evidence to say we are panic buying a short term deal… All the names listed so far (bar the Ben Davies curve ball) are clearly players we have been interested in since the summer. So panic? No panic, maybe just waiting for the price to be agreed… Or losing Matip after 45mins forcing your hand… Or Fabinho picking up a niggle… Or one of your long term targets actually becoming available despite a firm no all window…

The fact people bash FSG for not providing money based on no evidence (still none provided), and then resort to statements like “panic” again with no evidence is just disappointing… They have proven time and time again they know what they are doing, and what you see in the media is probably 1% of the vast work going on behind the scenes. So maybe give them a bit more credit eh.

5 Likes

Klopp said the other week there would be no money for a CB. Then Matip and Fabinho got injured and he said we will bring in CB. It’s really simple. We are facing huge decreases in revenue and FSG withheld funds to improve the squad. We’ve since had more injuries and FSG have been persuaded that the CL revenue is at stake which would make a bad situation even worse and are now backing Klopp and Edwards. Anything else is trying to paint things in a better light. FSG might have been being careful but we were always going to face periods with Matip and/or Fabinho out. If they’d got injured in the Brighton game instead, after the window shut, we’d have been screwed.

2 Likes

O for fucks sake… Prove FSG withheld funds. Stop posting your warped opinion as fact.

Post some fucking evidence, otherwise stop spouting utter shit with zero substance behind it.

You have no idea what has been going on behind closed doors.

4 Likes

Klopp does and that’s what he said.

Klopp specifically said FSG are withholding money? Really? Can you post that…

Or did he say there isn’t the money available to get the player he wants?

3 Likes

Seems to have gone quiet here

1 Like

Thing is FSG can’t please all the fans,they are fucked if they do and fucked if they don’t,they can’t win,that is unless they brought in the worlds best CB for a substantial fee (which was never going to happen).

They shouldn’t be discredited for not spending money that simply isn’t there (or risk huge sums like £25mill+ of future earnings that may not be there).I also think Klopp has been playing it down,as these players coming in aren’t nailed on 1st teamers or ready to play in your normal LFC team,they’ve been forced into making these transfers (if they do happen today) because of Matip’s injury,they are deals to help give us cover at a low enough fee to be able to bring them in and not effect whatever may happen during the summer.

If they don’t work out then financially they haven’t cost us a fortune (but young enough to be moved on),but i can guarentee,if they don’t do it on the pitch,the fans screaming for ANY low cost CB right now will be up in arms saying we should have spent £30mill-40mill,knowing full well FSG/LFC don’t have the money in the bank right now to pay for them.

If Davies and/or Kabak come in,i still think Henderson and/or Fabinho will play the CB role alongside them,untill Matip is back,which probably means for the rest of the season.

1 Like

Shhhh Shut Up GIF by swerk

He said there wasn’t money, he said he’d recommended we should bring in a CB and admitted it would help stabilise us. Then more injuries happen and we are bidding on people. I’m not sure why you have a problem with the idea that, during a difficult financial time, FSG decided to play it reserved on spending despite the recommendations of the football people. Then injuries and the possibility of missing out on CL revenue has forced them to rethink their approach. It was the financially prudent thing to do in the short term to try and not spend in a bad financial year. But they should have always listened to the experts and been looking at the long term.

2 Likes

FSG have done a good job in their stewardship of LFC. Bought us at the perfect time, then with sensible management they have grown the asset from 300M to 2B. As a business proposition - and they are businessmen, they have played a blinder.

As a sporting proposition we won the CL and PL, went so close in both again, and we are firmly ensconced at the top table in Europe, with a fantastic and valuable squad.

Is it perfect? Of course not!

One of the things they have said is they won’t be oligarch or Abu Dhabi type owners, and that the club will be run according to its means. Fair enough. They have provided interest free loans as needed, and they will get a payday when they sell.

Covid has been a massive curve ball. All clubs have been hit. Our defense has been decimated, and there has been a slight suspicion they were a bit slow to release funds to act decisively sooner. But maybe that’s unfair, as it is terribly difficult to get deals done in January, especially as the sort of player we would be in for is already valuable to their existing club.

It looks like deadline day will work out fine, with one defender in the bag and another looking likely.

The amount of regard I can muster for owners is limited. They aren’t players and they don’t make anyone get up off the edge of their seat. They are ‘just’ owners. Still, the ones we have are decent. And their reward will be a couple of billion in their arse pockets if and when they come to sell up.

Nice life.

2 Likes

I don’t think either Davies or Kabak as they are rumoured to be structured could have been done any time before this weekend at least, though it’s obvious we’ve been talking.

I think they were always looking at the long term. It is the near term that became threatening enough that seems to have made them realize it could disrupt the long term, where before they must have believed that 6-7 months from now things could all be back on track.

6 Likes