The Owners - FSG

I think this is part of the disconnect - the club probably dont feel we need someone ASAP and are comfortable in working to the transfer deadline.

1 Like

He wasn’t only because he was suspended.

I bloody hope not…and then we end up with another Arthur

Over the last 5 windows, Liverpool have signed 8 first team players. 2 of those 8 (Ramsay and Carvalho) are now loaned out.

In that same period…

Arsenal have signed 19
United 11
Chelsea 20+
City 10 players (plus 8 South Americans)
Spurs 17 players
And Newcastle 14 players.

How is it possible that other clubs operate within FFP?..oh wait…FFP doesn’t exist.

4 Likes

You could say strength in numbers is certainly not our forte.

On the flip side we’ve arguably had one of, if not the smallest squads in the league in the Klopp era and it’s been the best time for Liverpool fans in decades, this is how Klopp likes to operate.

Wrt FFP: Hasn’t the 100+ charges against City only been flagged up recently…from their bogus activity almost 5 years ago? So wouldn’t be surprised if sometime in 2028 we hear of similar kind especially where Chelsea and Arsenal are concerned.

1 Like

Whilst we would have won the Positive Spend Trophy 5 years on the belt. I’m rubbing my hands in anticipation.

1 Like

In that 5 years, what have we not won that Chelsea and Arsenal did?

3 Likes

The transfer window?

It’s almost as if what you spend on transfers isn’t the only thing that FFP relates to and that success isn’t solely linked to buying players.

Unless of course you want us to be more like Spurs. Spending money, buying new players, sending those players on loan, churning managers. I mean those 17 players include the likes of Ndombele, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Doherty, Rodon, Gil, Emerson Royal, Spence and Richarlison.

If I was a Spurs fan I’d be lamenting buying so many players because they are clearly shit at doing it.

3 Likes

If you imagine that with this squad we’ll win anything of note in the next year or two, I’d like to know what you are smoking because I badly need some of it. FSG apologists frankly amaze me at times.

We had a really good squad about five years ago and Klopp squeezed the very last drop out of it, but that squad aged and fragmented. Now we are under the effects of the diminishing returns policy that the owners have adopted. Selling to buy simply does not work consistently in the modern Premiership, in which the big hitters are outspending you in a ratio of at least two to one each season.

At some point you run out of saleable assets. You can’t sell your best players without significantly weakening your squad, and replacing them is extremely difficult in an inflated sellers market.

Please tell me. I’d love to know. Are you actually happy with the support that these owners are giving the manager?

2 Likes

Yes.

4 Likes

He was well used to not getting the players he wanted in Dortmund. That and the poaching.

1 Like

Yes. Klopp makes mistakes at times too. A lot of cases , it’s with Klopp having the obstinacy that his current group of players are enough. It’s worked out in his favour more times than it has failed.

Whenever FSG have backed him , they’ve spent good money on his wishlists. Keita was his signing , they’ve still spent good money on him

4 Likes

I won’t answert this question as it wasn’t adressed in my direction. But please tell me, I’d love to know. If you don’t want FSG as our owners, whom would you find acceptable?

• a state-owned fund from the Middle East?
  • a private oligarch investing his own money into the club, Abramovic-style?

As far as I can see, these two owner-types are the only ones which would allow us to go toe-to-toe in the transfer market with the likes of Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia and others. Whom else?

1 Like

Your undercover work leaves a lot to be desired.

Sure.

2 Likes

These are great questions, because if we are going strong against the current owners, it seems right for the critic to suggest the alternate owner.

To my mind, I’d rather we keep the current owners, but they loosened the purse strings a little more, staying well within the bounds of FFP, but backing the manager a bit more in the building of Klopp 2.0.

Or closely related to this, the addition of a suitable partial owner to inject fresh capital.

But since they are the owners, I am well aware that it is within their purview to run the club as they like, and they have been consistent with saying we will live to our means, which for FSG, means everything pays for itself from the proceeds, including infrastructure. Their decision.

2 Likes

The only option “better” than FSG in terms of money spent etc would be oil money.

Would leave me questioning my love for football and make me take a backstep in general if Liverpool do get sold to them

1 Like

The owners policy of buy to sell keeps everyone’s feet, and expectations on the ground - If that is even an actual policy at LFC - However, as a supporter here, it is also fair to expect, especially if they spent £50m recently, the youth policy should start to pay dividends in the not too far-off distant future - this surely should start to top-up the squad numbers

The amount complacency on here is depressing.