The Owners - FSG

Klopp literally changed his entire career plan to stay at an FSG owned Liverpool.

I’m not for second suggesting that was because of FSG, but he was clearly not swayed by FSG promises of warchests or unlimted backing.

He will know better than anyone the circumstances under which he has to operate as manager and knew this before he re-signed, and went ahead and did it anyway.

I personally am certain he won’t look back at these latter years at Liverpool as ‘wasted’. Even if he doesn’t win another trophy with us.

6 Likes

4 weeks to sign 2 midfielders and a CB … will not happen.

1 Like

Is that our intentions? To bring in 3 more players? 4 weeks is plenty of time to conclude the business we wanna do which may only be 1 DM.

We have our 4 senior CB’s so unless Gomez gets shipped out don’t really see us pursuing in that area and may wait until Jan.

1 Like

Better be happy with Quansah and Morton because that’s all we’re getting

1 Like

50m net spend per window still valid. Midtable club level.

Stuck in a room with Schmadtke all day, it’s just cruel at this point

And another thought.

IF the owners are so tight and IF we’re trying to do business on the cheap, and IF it’s so important just to get players in regardless of what Klopp wants/needs.

Why did they not just bring in Tielemans on a free?

1 Like

We’d spent 100m on two absolutely two top players. At that point there were indications we were still looking. But since then we’ve decided to move on two more players, putting 50m in our pockets plus lots of saved wages, and Klopp has responded by being clear as he has ever been about this sort of issue by saying we absolutely need to get something more done.

Fans: OMG I cannot believe we’re stopping at this.

If they fail to get any more deals over then line then complain, because that will be the first time an absolutely unambiguous demonstration of Klopp being left short of what he thinks we need. But there is 4 weeks left in the window. We are clearly still working…this is a process. This tendency to criticize the people involved and assign them bad motivations based on outcomes achieved while the process is only half way through is utterly bizarre.

At least last season the people frustrated by the lack of movement had Klopp’s comments that he was happy with what we had and didn’t see the need to do more as a basis to complain while the window was still open. This year it is people screaming that its cruel to make them go hungry while someone is in the process of getting dinner out of the oven.

6 Likes

And instead paid the 6th highest fee so far this window. Bunch of cheapskates.

Whatever the situation behind the scenes, whatever money has been made available, we spent €100m before we had any thought that Henderson and Fabinho would be leaving.

What is hugely frustrating is that those two seem to have been allowed to leave without a clear plan on how we’d replace them and we’ve got a sporting director who’s been here five minutes trying now trying to sort that out.

Not addressing the sporting director position well ahead of what we all knew was going to be a summer with some serious rebuilding work is a far bigger stick to beat them with than the amount of cash they’ve spent so far.

2 Likes

Come 1st Sept, we will know who’s our new DM, if there is any. :rofl:

Because we should not have brought in Tielemans even if we were paid.

A complete defeatist attitude which should be kept far from the club.

I don’t know that there is enough info to figure out what’s gone on with the sporting director. That Michael Edwards still hasn’t taken on a new position is the most confusing bit. That Julian Ward was here for such a short time also. That we were unable (so far) to find a permanent replacement.

I agree it doesn’t instill confidence on what’s going on behind the scenes, however, without knowing enough of the details it’s impossible to draw a conclusion

1 Like

The point is why would the Owners care if they are only about spending as litttle as possible?

If it’s just about forcing Klopp play with the hand he is dealt, then why not bring in Tielemans and say “here is your midfielder” good luck!

When the whole argument from some people is that they will do anything to avoid backing Klopp. When they bring out the comments about making do with youngsters, or signing some shit journeyman from a midtable club, why on earth would they ignore the chance to bring in a prem-proven midfielder for free?

It’s almost as if that’s not actually how they operate.

3 Likes

I suspect from the activity so far the ‘clear plan’ was to bring in Lavia - but Southampton refusing to budge on their asking price has complicated things. Perhaps also the Mbappe situation has thrown a curve ball somewhat as it didn’t really seem to be on the horizon heading into the summer.

Talk of a defender seems to have died down too. I don’t know whether this means Colwell was the only target they had in mind, or that it was contingent on Phillips or another player leaving first.

Many of the assumptions that people make about the owners regarding transfers just doesn’t align with their track record.

1. Maximizing Return at the cost of performance

We let a lot of players run down their contract. This is not consistent with owners who don’t care about performance and who are only trying to milk the club. Otherwise we would have sold players earlier and recouped transfer fees rather than letting them leave for free or at discounted fees. They lost a lot of money by allowing Klopp to keep the team he wants past their optimal sell-on dates.

1. They don’t seem to be as hands-on in terms of individual transfers as most people suggest

With their limited knowledge do you think they decided that Nunez was worth £64m plus add-ons while there is no way Lavia is worth £50 including adds-ons? Do you think they were the ones who decided we needed Gakpo in January when everyone was clamouring for a midfielder? Do you think they were the ones who decided we needed Melo on a large loan fee and salary?

I understand there is a budget and a policy, but their day-to-day involvement in deciding or blocking transfers seems to be much less than people keep on alluding to.

Rather the evidence seems to suggest Klopp’s high involvement in transfers… But also a reluctance by supporters to criticize this aspect of his role or hold him responsible.

5 Likes

People have to realise and the Dominik Szoboszlai deal should guide you to this journalists are finding out stuff from opposition clubs we aren’t saying anything.

Also Macallister was it 70/80m the journalists were quoting? All of sudden he is 35m because again they know nothing.

8 Likes

I appreciate it’s not always simple but those two deals didn’t exactly happen overnight. I’d like to think we could have been talking to Southampton the second we knew the bids were serious and the players wanted to go.

Sure, there may be something else going on behind the scenes no one has got wind of yet. Wouldn’t be the first time, like that left back we supposedly made a bid for and then we went and got Kostas.

Im getting to the point where I’ll be a little underwhelmed if, after all of this, we end up with Lavia for £40m+.

And I’ll be really pissed off if we end up paying £50m for him on deadline day.

2 Likes

We need players in ASAP, hopefully something will happen this week.
Not sure if true but i was told Andre was not involved with his team playing today.

No, and the first links with us to Lavia didnt begin when the Hendo, Fabinho news broke either if i remember correctly (albeit by less reliable sources). I think its quite likely he was the target for our final midfielder were we to sign one while retaining Hendo and Fab but prioritised once it looked like they were going.

If the price is going to remain £50m throughout the window, it may mean the club dont feel the need to rush to pay that and can explore more proven targets who become available n the mean time.

1 Like