The Owners - FSG

Very good points well made, and I understand to a certain degree the haggling side of it, we cant be seen as a walk over, we are not at the same spending table as the other so called top six, i just sometimes wish we can get the deals done a lot quicker and move on.

Wrong.

1 Like

But it, like, doesnā€™tā€¦

3 Likes

Would be a big fan of the transfer window closing before the season starts but of course then we have the problem of other leagues still having theirs open. If only there was a global football body capable of unifying the football calendar.
It could be called something like the Federation of International Football Associations and with a spiffy acronym - FoIFA (as said in Nornā€™ Ireland) - everyone could rejoice in the game.

1 Like

Sounds interestingā€¦i assume itā€™d be not for profit?

1 Like

We normally do get our deals done quick ala Mac & Szobo

I am neither a pro FSG or an FSG out supporter. But I am troubled that Jurgen and our squad is left in this position of essentially being without a key defensive player at the start of the season. When the management decided to release both Hendo and Fab, they should have brought in another player to plug that hole. We were supposed to bring in at least another 1 or 2 players. And this is nothing to do with Saints being stubborn as we should have identified at least another player or two.
This just indicates that FSGā€™s expectations this season cannot be that high. Perhaps top 4 would be the goal. Even that would be a challenge with City, Arsenal, Newcastle, United and Chelsea strengthening. Letā€™s hope Jurgen pulls another rabbit out of the hat.

1 Like

If I had a guess, I would have said that the club saw the midfield as sorted after Szobo, and that although Lavia was looked at, was only being looked at in case we moved on one of Thiago or Fab (I doubt the club saw Henderson leaving or he would have got a ā€˜legend send-offā€™ before the end of the season).

Had Thiago or Fab left, I think we would have chased Lavia but not in a desperate sense: I actually think there would have been more options open to us had Henderson stayed as he can play a deeper role quite successfully (regardless of some fans saying his legs are finished or nitpicking his individual performances during team form where the entire rest of the team was also tanking). We could be looking at slightly different midfielders that would fit in with what we need.

But as we have it, we lose our two defensively minded midfield options, both with little notice, and now we are forced to swim in a very small defensive midfield transfer pond which is drying up with the beating sun. I donā€™t think any of this was planned in this way.

I see this mostly as a performance problem of Klopp and the admin directly above him: All of them clearly made the call that both Henderson and Fab could leave with their blessing. You can call out FSG for not spending an extra Ā£5m but you also donā€™t know if this Ā£5m threshold is a barrier being put in place by our transfer guys. You canā€™t just throw money at a problem with no repercussions because you leave the club open to being taken for a ride in future transfer windows. Cases in point: Chelsea, United.

Thatā€™s my thoughts on it. I would never call a transfer window in which we get Mac and Szobo in and get rid of about 8 permanently injured players off the books a bad window, but I think success of the transfer guys will be measured on what they do in the next couple of weeks to replace Hendo and Fab with another midfielder which I think is fair enough.

5 Likes

The club shouldve got players in before allowing fab and hendo to leave. We are painfully short. Terrible planning by the club.

3 Likes

Bit shit arenā€™t they?

Thing is with Klopp and the right investment we couldve been as dominant as City are but we are miles away from achieving that.

Alternatively: we would have been the dominant team in the league but for cheaters.

5 Likes

Canā€™t wait for the window to shut so that the people who only turn up twice a year to complain about transfers can crawl back under their rocks.

Theyā€™re not going away though mate. I think back to when Abramovich took over Chelsea and was spending money left, right and centre and fans were saying the bubble will burst and they will be fucked if he ever sells or leaves. Well he sold up and the plastic fuckers are even worse now with this new owner!

1 Like

I think its too early to say. The new owners have spent a fortune but not necessarily made their squad better. Going forwards they may be seriously limited in what they can spend unless they find a new wheeze to get round the rules.

Tchouameni, Bellingham and are we going to be a laughing stock again. 3 fit midfielders and Elliott to start a new season.

Creating companies will cover it :wink:

The west London club have struck a Ā£40million deal with Infinite Athlete, which supplies affordable player data to clubs and allowing fans to watch games from multiple camera angles.

This will mean manager Mauricio Pochettino can use AI player data to help manage their squad, whilst fans will be able to see the same stats in an app, while streaming a match as if they were standing with friends in the stands at Stamford Bridge.

However, the final value of Chelseaā€™s proposed sponsorship with the start-up company will be governed by the Premier Leagueā€™s fair market value rules, as per The Telegraph.

Infinite Management was only formed this month and the new firm has investment links to the Chelsea owners, Clearlake Capital and Todd Boehly.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the thing thoughā€¦ it seems this summer that Klopp is largely in control of transfers. Articles in January said that Klopp was now more ā€œhands-onā€ in transfer decisions. Jorg should be his choice and by the interviews it seems like he is acting as the ā€œarms and legsā€ for Klopp

He said: "We [him and Klopp] phoned in advance and exchanged views, but the distribution of roles in England is completely clear: we have an owner who has a say in decisions and we have Jurgen Klopp who is not only coach, but the manager, ie the decision-maker.

Schmadtke added: "I am a sports director and basically a service provider. I try to take things away from Jurgen so that he can focus on his core business. Nevertheless, it is clear that in the end he is the decision-maker.

"The understanding of the role is clear for everyone involved. It is about filtering things from the individual departments and then presenting Jurgen with the best possible basis for a decision. Decisions are then made on this basis. "

The owners provide input (has a say) but Klopp is the decision maker. That is a completely different level of authority and to me, that is being backed.

Everyone has been talking so much about how the transfer decisions have changed with Ward leaving and Jorg being someone that Klopp recommendedā€¦

Perhaps, the question should be asked: should Klopp be the decision maker in transfers?

3 Likes

Well thereā€™s a difference between being given more of a leeway to enter transfer discussions internally than being financially backed and/or getting those players in youā€™ve asked for.

Before the arrival of Jorg, Klopp briefly touched upon the need to bring in a SD so he can focus on his main goal, working with the players and getting them all up to speed for pre-seasonā€¦so given that and given his recommendation to bring in Jorg in the first place, itā€™d make no sense now why Klopp would takeover control of transfersā€¦itā€™ll still be Jorg leading the negotiations with other clubs and liaising with the recruitment guys.

Of course Klopp will have the final decision and give the green light , but would this not have been the case under both Ward and Edwards, at the end of the day these players are going to be under his management, he has to be happy with what heā€™ll be working with.

Billy Hogan, Liverpoolā€™s chief executive on the impact of being in the Europa League:

ā€œOur goal is to run the club sustainably. When you are missing revenue from the Champions League, you have to react accordingly ā€” and weā€™ve done that.ā€ [the athletic]