The Owners - FSG

Wasn’t that more a case that they were deals we had already been looking at doing and could bring forward?

Yes, exactly. Are there some of those out there we would now consider paying a premium to make happen?

1 Like

Treading on the side of caution… we are top with the squad that is pulling together - There is always the downside in signing a new player, that it could have an adverse effect on those already playing for their shirt
Either way, we are in a good place at the moment

2 Likes

It’s a tricky one. I could make a case for a defender, midfielder, and attacker.

The strongest case is for a central defender, Matip replacement, who has a chance to be in the side long term as well. Inacio, Hincapie, I’m sure there are others out there.

And yet…

Quansah is growing leaps and bounds as he sees some action. It’s brilliant to see. I wouldn’t want to depend on him yet, but when he starts alongside VVD, he is learning from the best.

We aren’t crying out for a signing, as such, but if we could bring in 1-2 it would strengthen the title challenge.

Yeah, it gets interesting when you start to prioritize with an eye to both the short term, and the next 3-4 years. I had exactly the same thought about Quansah yesterday when he made that great tackle in the second half to get the outside of his foot on the ball.

3 Likes

I don’t think we’d make any moves for the short term, except bringing in people ahead of time. We’ve already seen over the years that we don’t make short-term decisions.

1 Like

I agree - just wondering if there is someone the Club was thinking of as a June 24 transfer that they might be willing to spend an extra 10M or something to improve the chances of a title win over the second half of the season. I don’t follow transfer rumours to have any real idea.

2 Likes

The club will do a deal if it sees fit.

I genuinely think we had the funds for Caciedo and will spend if we feel it’s genuinely a decent deal.

Remember how Gakpo happened.

Yep. Even the spendthrift Lego man is talking about reinforcing in Jan. If Qaunsah is ready to replace Joel then we would still benefit from a RB (ideally could play either side). We also need a DM/Mac alternative and bringing in a Mo replacement in Jan would also be nice. Lots of potential roles, perhaps the right player will become available.

Apparently they are investing into golf too.

The Strategic Sports Group (SSG), a consortium of billionaires headed by Tom Werner and John Henry’s Fenway organisation that owns Liverpool Football Club and the Boston Red Sox are now on the verge of signing a deal.

good for FSG to keeping the PGA together. fuck the LIV and those money-grubbing golfers that went there. they can fucking stay in Saudi and be banned from the PGA.

3 Likes

Problem is LIV is just a disruption there tournaments as paragraph 19 states just aren’t moving the dial.

The claim on wins in DP world tour events is a bit odd and bar Koepka the others when they show up at the majors might as well not be there.

2 Likes

Well I’ll say one thing for golf in Saudi. That’s one hell of a bunker!

1 Like

Where’s the golf money John?

2 Likes

What? That is really unexpected. He had taken an Edwards like path since leaving the red sox over a decade ago, moving on to bigger and bigger jobs each with more scope than the last. The last of which was at the level of the entire league rather than focusing on a single club. He is typically thought of as one of the best and most innovative thinkers in baseball, so getting him is a real coup, but you have to imagine given his path this role is about more than their involvement in baseball otherwise it would feel like a step backwards. Maybe this indicates him being flagged to step into one of the executive roles at FSG itself of one of the older guys like Werner or Henry himself?

3 Likes

At least it’s that Epstein

2 Likes

Fuck sake, Matty :joy:

Sorry the goal was open

1 Like