The Owners - FSG

Just being speculative, and it is probably misplaced since FSG are looking at the multi club model.

But with all the crap around Man City, and their new legal action, and probable never ending legal action, I wonder if it makes FSG think about selling up?

One of the current risks has to be that football implodes, at least to some degree, either with a discredited ‘product’ that is much less valuable, or with a new league emerging that bypasses Man City? Or something along the lines.

The point being, FSG might view LFC as at or around peak value, at least until all the storm clouds that are gathering are dealt with.

I suppose it boils down to FSG’s longer term strategy.

Bring back Carlsberg!

1 Like

FSG are a commercial venture. They want to make money out of the business and that will be either it generates a commercial steam or that the capital value of the business rises.

If the league clamps down on financial violations it makes the former easier because they don’t have to spend as much to compete. If they don’t, it makes the club more attractive to rich sports-washers. I suspect that the current status quo makes selling a more attractive option than City ending up in Strangeways.

2 Likes

A very interesting read on John Henry and the future of football, for anyone with an FT subscription:

2 Likes

Werner is a lot better of an owner when he doesnt speak

https://x.com/AnfieldEdition/status/1799053606273819130

12 Likes

I even have the sort of crazy idea that there would be a day where we play one game in…

SHUT UP TOMMY

3 Likes

Critically, reading Henry’s comments in response to that, he appears to think the same things about Werner as I do.

3 Likes

1 Like

14 years and Werner still can’t read the room. Shut the fuck up Tom.

5 Likes

Yeah the day they can call the game by its correct name, then we will get the BPL there.

Werner could be sending a warning shot across the boughs of the PL itself… As in, sort the Cheating Fuckers out or we will think of ways of taking the game away from you ourselves…!

1 Like

For those who don’t have a FT subscription:

2 Likes

When I read what Tom Werner said and all the countries where LFC should play , I was like…

2 Likes

Is he pissed again?

He’s always welcome to take Liverpool to Serbia - the coach just has to make sure they actually mark Crvena Zvezda’s striker the next time…

3 Likes

I think he meant a PL match would happen one after the other.

I’m no fan of it anyhow.

1 Like

I don’t like it but I’m not naive enough to believe it’ll never happen.

2 Likes

There is no reason it ever has to happen!

Unfortunately there is, not ones that us as fans will care about but you could play Liverpool vs Fulham in America, charge 5x the ticket prices that we do in England, in a stadium double the size and sell it out.

That’s not even mentioning all the additional corporate sponsors, TV deals etc.

Local fanbases will be pushed out of top flight football, its just a matter of time. Hopefully its a long time but lets say 50 years from now, I don’t believe we would recognise anything about the current landscape in football.

4 Likes

You’ll still be a young whippersnapper :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes