The Owners - FSG

Where’s the Bordeaux money, John???

Interesting. Looks like the liabilities might have been worse than imagined.

1 Like

How bad can it be? They paid £300m for Liverpool.

But LFC had PL TV revenues. French footy is already in a period of friction because Ligue 1 is underdelivering on promised TV revenue. If liabilities are higher than previously understood, and revenues are underwhelming, maybe French football doesn’t make sense to invest in.

3 Likes

I thought i saw a headline a day or two about a cash injection into French football from somewhere…could that have led to Bordeaux no longer needing money from FSG?

I think it is more likely they are not satisfied with any assurances they might have about Bordeaux’s status in Ligue 2 next year. Bordeaux was going to be relegated last year for financial reasons, and are facing relegation to the 3rd tier right now. Putting in cash and hoping for the best is a non-starter. With their liabilities, 3rd tier revenues would have FSG holding the bag for a financial meltdown.

Why buy now when you might be able to buy from an administrator and leave all those liabilities behind?

3 Likes

I agree. What I meant was that while the return (cash inflow) would be very low compared to the revenue generated by Liverpool, the investment must be low too compared to the £300m they paid for Liverpool.

I wonder what @Flobs has to say. He seemed to have a fair idea about Bordeaux.

I am sure it was, but reports have Ligue 2 demanding 40 million Euros in guarantees to start the season next month. FSG was looking at numbers like putting 100-150M over 6 years. If they don’t have an ironclad guarantee that Ligue 2 is actually in play, forget it. But even with that, their operating costs are huge. Their stadium has been upgraded for RWC and the Olympics, and is about the size Anfield was. But Bordeaux draws maybe half that. For TV revenues, there is no real broadcast deal - there is a 1(?) year arrangement that will deliver about 60% of what was planned. That isn’t much of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for a well-managed club turned around to achieve promotion.

They may have not lost interest in the opportunity, but let an administrator stick the Bordeaux taxpayer with the stadium cost millstone. If you make the argument, you are an evil American capitalist. If you come in 8 months later, you are a white knight.

1 Like

Bordeaux are a distressed asset owned by a investment group who are owed money. These deals often look attractive because people think they get them for a steal, but it makes the negotiations very unpredictable. Add in that Bordeaux dont own their stadium and you have lots of avenues for a prospective buyer to get into negoatiations and find the deal wont able to made that they are happy with.

1 Like

The stadium deal ropes the club into a very unattractive arrangement, and I believe it is a fairly long term. The City knows it is a millstone, but probably need to be forced into restructuring it. That is not something a new owner will want to take on, so it will be the current ownership or an administrator.

1 Like

https://x.com/LFC/status/1815311157806379374

6 Likes

Wheres the Strauss money John…?

1 Like

Are Strauss available in the UK? We get our official work clothes from them and I know that they frequently advertise on Bundesliga games.

2 Likes

Only by using the online shop presumably

2 Likes
2 Likes

Where is the Indonesian Standalone Retail Store money, John?

4 Likes

Why have the shop sign in Blue & White - not exactly corporate identity is it…!

1 Like

Its just a black background and an LED sign light.

Maybe the shopping centre/mall has some rules about signage.

It’s deffo not blue and white in a way that clashes with the clubs identity.

2 Likes

Well they were our original colours

5 Likes

https://x.com/LFC/status/1816399544747544625

The full list of this year’s winners includes:

GOAL (Green Operations & Advanced Leadership) (Other)
UBS Arena (Venue)
World Surf League (League)
WM (Brand)
Moda Center (Venue)
Spectrum Center (Venue)
Gillette Stadium (Venue)
Liverpool FC (Team)
SailGP (League)
NC State Athletics (Team)

“This list champions the organisations using their resources to drive sustainable change. Companies on this list set an example for the industry through their transparency, waste management solutions and innovative sustainable practices.”

4 Likes