The Owners - FSG

Yeah, that’s what I meant. Everyone fucked that specific decision up in January, and every guy involved with it must be absolutely furious against himself as we speak.
[/quote]
It is frustrating for all LFC fans to see the team lose the way they are at the moment…
It is heart-breaking and confusing in equal measures…
When Werner cost LFC an additional £20m with the VVD transfer because he can’t hold his drink, maybe the £100m loss attached to CL qualification is par for the course to these people when spread across the group that may or may not have decided to Stick or Twist…!
Either way, no CL for LFC next season will be crap for all of us…!

1 Like

But he said he did that. He said he’d recommended a CB was required because it would stabilise us and help us improve results but that it wasn’t his decision. When he said that on 22nd that was historic information so at least mid Jan and probably discussions that had been going on longer than that.

3 Likes

You do realise that in order to get a new top CB in on first January, the wheels had to be spinned at least from early December on? I’ve no doubt that around 15th of January, Klopp had realised that he needed a new CB. That’s also why the club then tried to get a top CB into the club before the deadline, for some big money.

But it was too late by then, and my point is that it is because no-one realised the need for a new body until it was too late, not even Klopp who, as already said, isn’t immune to committing mistakes. He’s a top gaffer, but even he can fuck up things at times.

2 Likes

Everyone realised we needed another CB from Gomez getting injured. Many thought before VvD got injured, including Klopp from his quotes in the summer.

On the work involved, I find it hard to believe Edwards just picked names out of hats, rang their clubs up and randomly guessed figures that tempted/were accepted by those clubs. Edwards may have only had 48 hours to try and close the deals but he knew what would be accepted for Botman, what would be tempting enough to cause a meeting over Carmo and be accepted for Caleta-Car. The pre work on those deals had been done. They were all players that perfectly matches what Klopp needs from CBs. It wasn’t all done at last minute they would have been well thought out and researched purchases for reasonable fees.

1 Like

Of course, the names were identified already, but the decision was taken not to move early for them. So, why didn’t one of them go through at the end? Going by reliable media outlets, because the respective clubs hadn’t the time anymore to find a replacement. Had a pre-agreement taken place in December, there’s no doubt that one of them would play in a red shirt as we speak.

If anything, this story is the perfect demonstration of how long it takes to work out a high-profile deal. Last-minute deals can obviously be agreed for the likes of Kabak and Davies, but not for coveted top players.

1 Like

It wasn’t done earlier because the decision was made we couldn’t bring one in. I just disagree with you saying Klopp agreed with that decision. That is illogical and a quite ridiculous suggestion that is in contrast to the actual evidence we have. No way any manager would be happy with half a season with only Matip, previously untested at this level kids and midfielders dropped back, therefore missing from midfield and creating stress there.

2 Likes

I understand what you’re saying, but disagree with it. Klopp had so much credit in the bank with fsg at that point, in all senses of the word, that he could have asked for a lot if he had been asking for it in an enough decisive manner. But knowing him:

• he dislikes January transfers
  • he likes a small squad
  • he likes giving chances to young players
  • he likes to keep things steady during a season

I’m quite sure that in December, he was reasonably ok with how it was going. During January, he must have realised how wrong he was, and then Edwards started his moves. Too little too late.

But at this point, I can say nothing further to prevent you from believing that the board didn’t listen to Klopp and that’s it all the owners’ fault, so let’s stop here.

1 Like

He should have, that’s why the decision is bad and angers so many so much. There’s literally nothing to support your theory except a rose tinted view that FSG wouldn’t go against what Klopp suggests even though he actually did a very rare thing for Klopp (showing how angry it made him) in publicly saying that this was exactly what they did.

1 Like

Haha, there is zero evidence to support yours either, so let’s give it a rest, eh? :wink: :laughing:

1 Like

Klopp said he made the recommendation and it was rejected, something you seem to believe couldn’t happen in December but could happen some unknown time before the 22nd January. Makes no sense. How could they possibly be unable to reject his request in December if they did actually reject it a few weeks later? You’re just adamant that FSG couldn’t make a bad sporting decision to the point you’re willing to believe Klopp was part of that bad decision. No chance a bad decision is MORE likely because Klopp helped make it than if FSG made it independently of him. I know who my money would be on to not make bad sporting decisions.

1 Like

I fully agree, I think my only point is it doesn’t point to anything beyond that “mistake” and the timing of the mistake by all concerned. Certainly not for pages of circular discussion :slight_smile:

We are where we are, now is a time to look forward with what we do have. Starting tonight!

2 Likes

I’ve said my part. You can’t proof anything of what you claim, nor can I on my side. End of story.

1 Like

On some date in the future, hopefully with a few more tin pots in the cupboard, Jurgen Klopp will leave Liverpool.

And on that day, you will inevitably post ‘see - told you he was unhappy’

Klopp may indeed by ruing the decision not to buy a centre back, but he chose to buy a left back, a creative midfielder and a forward before getting round to the CB position. That’s not FSGs call.

1 Like

Your like someone who blames the benefit claimant for their gas running out because they choose to top up their electricity instead.

1 Like

How can’t I prove it? I’m just believing what Klopp said!

The only two ways you can be right is either Klopp was lying on 22nd of January, and FSG would have been willing to buy a CB all winter. I find that hard to believe.

Or, more bizarre, Klopp could have bought a CB in January but everyone decided it was for the best not to, he then changed his mind, he went and asked them for one in January they then did what they couldn’t possibly have done in December and said no. Seemingly for shits and giggles because they then changed their stance back to the December one of Klopp can have what he wants.

So which one is it?

Did Klopp lie?

Or did FSG do something some point in January you don’t believe they could do?

1 Like

Really? On reflection you think the ten million spent on Tsimikas wouldn’t have been better spent replacing Lovren?

I’m sure FSG weren’t telling Klopp he had to buy a left back.

1 Like

Or was Klopp frustrated in that moment because of the lack of money, but knew he just had to accept it and get on.

That’s what his ‘rant’ basically came down to.

1 Like

Hopes theory is that Klopp was part of the decision in not signing a CB in January. You just disagreed with him in that post too.

1 Like

You don’t think there was more chance of Robertson (1 player) getting injured and us being without a LB (as we only had 1) than 3 CBs getting injured? We should have had 2 LBs at the club for quite some time. Klopp is on a budget, clearly having to choose which parts of the squad he is able to address when. Instead of blaming the people putting him under a budget when we were at the top of the footballing pyramid and with a real chance of creating a dynasty you’re blaming the person doing his best to utilise a limited budget as good as he can.

1 Like

Hope is just as likely to be right as you or I.

My thing through this whole exchange has be that we are throwing blame about, but we don’t know what is going on.

3 Likes