The Owners - FSG

Ah yeah sorry, I misread the intention of that post.

I am sorry, but I fail to understand the point of doing this PR activity when things are already in such state. This only gives more fuel to fire and raises further eyebrows !!

No, I would always advise against it. If I canā€™t afford it Iā€™ll do without.

The moneys owed to the bank are nothing to do with redeveloping the Main Stand, or the new training complex, so it is a debt that is included in the FFP calculation.

And cash reserves of Ā£37.5 million, for an enterprise with a turnover of Ā£533 million, is really a very modest amount. Even Burnley had bigger cash reserves and no bank loans to repay!

Spending what is essentially the bankā€™s money is all well and good until you get that letter from the bank implying that they were rather under the impression that you were banking with them and not vice versa, and that they would be very obliged if you could return your account to a more conventional state of affairs at your earliest convenience.

5 Likes

I feel thereā€™s a section of fans (not necessarily in this forum) who have a longstanding and irrational grudge against FSG because they refused to run Liverpool like Chelsea or City. Complaints like FSG are miserly or they sell to buy is pretty regular.

Although FSG havenā€™t poured-in their own money, they have built a very strong revenue stream and invested heavily not just in physical infrastructures but in the squad as well. Players like Torres, Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho were sold only because they were determined to leave.

13 Likes

Dominic King apparently said that Klopp will be backed fully in the summer, dunno if the quote is true I just saw it mentioned on one of those memes on instagram in passing.

2 Likes

Is 100% true.

FSG were never going to pour their own money in, or bankroll the club at a loss. They were clear about that from day one.

Personally, I donā€™t want them to either.

2 Likes

I dont subscribe to any of that sorry.

a) tension between JK and FSG? Why not just frustration at trying to deal in a pandemic when youā€™ve lost every fit CB youā€™ve got? That seems more likely to me.

b) I also donā€™t believe that w e screwed up either. Not unless youā€™re Mystic Meg and you knew weā€™d lose 5 CBā€™s increasing to 7, 3 first choice to season ending injuries and that leading to yet more injuries. Basically resulting in 21 CB partnerships in 30 odd games.

To me stuff that was done in the Summer was perfectly logical. What wasnā€™t logical is the amount injuries weā€™ve had. Thereā€™s no way you can adjust for that unless you are City, and we all know they didnā€™t adjust that well after only losing 1 CB.

10 Likes

January we messed up. We knew VVD and Gomez were out for the season. That Matip was injured and was only able to play one or two games without getting injured again. That Fabinho was playing every game, even games that had nil importance because we had no other option. It was obvious that we couldnā€™t continue like that and we needed CB reinforcements.

It has been widely and reliably reported that, other than Ben Davies, we had no firm plans to get another CB in until Matip was ruled out of the season with two days to go in the transfer window. By that point the season was already coming off the rails.

So, yes, I do think we fucked up there and that there would have been some tension in Jan over the idea that JK could somehow wing it through the season relying on Matip to be robust enough to start playing every game. JKā€™s comments that we couldnā€™t do anything because there was no money were unusual for him. Frustration, tension, call it what you like. Same thing.

4 Likes

Said it plain and simple.

1 Like

Yep. No idea why people canā€™t accept that this is what happened. Itā€™s what all the evidence points to and it makes sense that a club in an unknown level of financial distress would try to avoid doing any further business. I can understand the arguments about trying to not spend money due to the pandemic losses (although I disagree with them as missing out on CL would actually potentially lose more revenue) but I donā€™t get how people refuse to accept that this is what happened.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that just normal working relationships? Itā€™s never all happiness and smiles, especially in the pressure cooker of top level football. At the end of the day, Jurgen has a boss thatā€™s probably Mike Gordon, he has probably grumbled to him about the lack of proactive activity, but he also appreciates the constraints.

Mistakes were made in Jan, Iā€™m sure Klopp was pissed off, I would have beenā€¦ But to think it goes beyond that is just looking for systemic problems which simply donā€™t exist.

1 Like

Yup, I think itā€™s clear that looking at it with hindsight, the club missed a trick on the CB situation during the month of January. They must all be bitterly disappointed right now, if not furious with themselves, going from Henry and the board down to Edwards and Klopp.

What I donā€™t see is any kind of rift between the owners or the board and Klopp. This has been suggested in here by several posters, and of course in some media, but the decision to go with what we had at the beginning of January was surely a collective decision from everyone, which must have been fully supported by Klopp at the time.

But itā€™s also probable that during this difficult month, when the pressure was rising and the results started to plummet, Klopp progressively saw that there was a real need for at least a further body at the back. Thatā€™s likely the point when the club restarted the active search for a top-level center back. Too late as we witnessed, and thus, the club had to settle for short term, second-level, not good enough options for our high-pressure situation.

So yes, the club, Klopp included, fucked it up last January. Then again, hindsight is a wonderful thing, isnā€™t itā€¦

2 Likes

So yes, the club, Klopp included, fucked it up last January. Then again, hindsight is a wonderful thing, isnā€™t itā€¦
[/quote]
We as fans think they fucked it up because we want to win trophyā€™s every seasonā€¦
But FSG may not think they fucked upā€¦ because they want to make profits every season insteadā€¦!
No fans in stadiums, No shirt sales of any note, No prize monies to match expected transfer fees.
Maybe the intention all along, was just to tread water until pandemic recedesā€¦!

3 Likes

And to lose around 100 millions because falling out of the CL next season? I donā€™t think that was their plan.

6 Likes

And remind me again why havenā€™t we got any money?

2 Likes

You are rightā€¦
but not many people back in January thought LFC would not achieve a top 4 finish with the squad that was still available to them.! They gambled on Stick or Twistā€¦ Not looking as though they made the right choice at the moment though.!

3 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s what I meant. Everyone fucked that specific decision up in January, and every guy involved with it must be absolutely furious against himself as we speak.

3 Likes

Why must it have? I seriously doubt that Klopp ever looked at the situation and thought ā€œthis is fineā€ as he said in the summer that ideally heā€™d have 4 senior CBs (not meaning Fabinho). So when the Summer window closed Klopp already considered himself a CB down. By the time the Winter window opened he was 3 down with the most injury prone one the only one left. Does Klopp have to quit for people to accept he is unhappy with a situation? Heā€™ll never do a Mourinho and openly criticise the recruitment in press conferences. What we got this Winter was an extreme show of unhappiness for Klopp.

1 Like

All Iā€™m saying is that mistakes were made in January. We agree on that. And the season has fallen off a cliff since then. JK and Mike Gordon are best buddies so Iā€™m sure they can have full and frank discussions without permanently falling out with each other. I donā€™t think there are systemic problems. JK knows the score with FSG. Heā€™s never going to get everything he wants and heā€™s happy with that arrangement. I just thought that some of his comments around that time were a bit more candid than usual. It is a pretty daft idea that we were somehow going to get through the rest of the season relying on Joel Matip. I really donā€™t think that JK is that dumb. An earlier, more decisive move, may have made a big difference. By the time Kabak arrived we were already fucked.

5 Likes

Because otherwise, heā€™d have insisted to get a new CB right at the start of January, and with the credit and gravitas he has, heā€™d have got one. But he must have thought that with Hendo and Fab available, and Matip still around, he could ride the wave, just like he had done until then.

He was obviously wrong, but no-one is immune to misjudge a situation, not even Klopp. Of course, it would have been good if there had been someone strong and proactive enough on the board to tell and convince him in December that he needed a further body in the team, but that wasnā€™t the case.

2 Likes