The Owners - FSG

The question has already been asked, but where is all that money going to come from? The CL is a cash cow in itself, and they have already taken out the biggest part of the financial potential.

No-one will be interested to see mere exhibition matches without any genuine competitive interest. That’s where they are completely wrong imo: they’ve deluded themselves into the idea that everyone wants to see Liverpool-Madrid twice a year, a multiple bunch of Clasicós, and only so-called ‘big fixtures’, but that is dead wrong.

The interest of European competitions comes from the variety of fixtures, ‘small’ clubs included. Discovering new stadia, new countries, enjoying to face a club which hasn’t been faced before, or from our perspective, how sweet would it be to face Saint-Etienne again after all these years? Or Mönchengladbach? And let’s face it, we all take pleasure also from LFC trashing a smaller team here and then. For instance, the 8-0 against Besiktas all these years ago remains in my memory as a good moment. All of this won’t be possible anymore in the future.

All they’ll achieve with their breakaway league is to create an annoying, immobile and boring bubble. Always the same fixtures, over and over again, with absolutely no competitive interest at stake… who’d want to watch this shite, never mind to pay for it? Certainly not me.

So again, where is all that supposed money going to come from?

7 Likes

Exactly how I feel, is this the final format? Are clubs not allowed to participate in domestic leagues? Are players not allowed to play internationals? Etc, etc.

Nothing is written in stone yet but for now, I like the panic it brings on the corrupt dictators of UEFA. :innocent:

2 Likes

Sheiks are suspiciously calm but I’m sure the money comes from them.

Looking forward to games being played in Saudi Arabia once a month.

I would and I am just as invested in the Club as you are. The one constant in my life has been Liverpool, good times, bad times. My life literally revolves around the Club as my schedule is determined by when they play and alot of my time spent on here with you guys. It started as a thing, grew into a passion, morphed into the 90 minutes being a way to escape the madness of the world around me. It gave me something to hold onto, something that no matter what would be there for those 90 minutes when times were tough and when times are good to reflect on the journey through time together from afar that nobody else outside those who know me would know about but gives me immense satisfaction nonetheless.

Am I going to lose that passion and feeling because they play in another competition or play Madrid every year. Like fuck I am.

1 Like

You got it wrong again John :frowning:

You don’t need to write an autobiography to justify your opinion.

Others think differently. I think @Hope.in.your.heart hits the nail on the head. In life we need the mundane to appreciate the special.

As yer man says in The Incredibles ‘when everyone is super, no one will be’

4 Likes

Pfft, you all are the ones going on about super fans and what this means etc etc. I psoted what the Club means to me and I will continue supporting it. If you don’t appreciate my posts then by all means ignore it.

1 Like

The point is though: it won’t be a competition anymore. There will be nothing to lose, and nothing to win. Just a lot of exhibition matches against always the same, relatively small group of teams. How could anyone find passion in himself for this? Genuine question here. Where would it come from?

3 Likes

JP Morgan investment Bank apparently.

I think the club and the other 11 rebel clubs would have to be having serious second thoughts at this point.

They where surely expecting a backlash but it has reached epic world wide proportions now and I cant imagine people like Klopp who was basically thrown to the wolves in his post match press conference are very happy about being the whipping boy for the football worlds ire.

Also cant imagine the players are thrilled about not being able to represent their national teams either. Surely it would be a breach of the contracts they have with the players which would have clauses relating to International representation in them.

The more I read and think about this ESL
proposal the more I think that if the FA and Eufa/Fifa hold their nerve then it is going to go bust. Not even the clubs own supporters are sticking up for the club and if the supporters walk then the money stops and all of a sudden the business case is nolonger there.

1 Like

This is basically these clubs seeing the Pasadena Bowl packed out for Liverpool v Real Madrid as part of a mini pre-season tournament also involving AC Milan and Manchester United and saying, “Hey, this is great. What if this happened ALL THE TIME? Eh? Eh?!”

If the ESL happens the next step will be these games being played around the world wherever the most lucrative markets are.

I’ve changed my mind about this because the direction of travel is becoming increasingly clear to me. This can fuck off and, frankly, FSG have destroyed all the goodwill they’d built over the years.

10 Likes

IPL does the same plus it’s played at such a point in the season that very little is affected.

It gives a lot of players financially stability, no regular PL struggles with that I would reckon.

Half time ads

2 Likes

But that bank will surely expect a return on their investment, so my question remains: where will it come from?

@Hope.in.your.heart

TV
Sponsorship
Naming rights
Advertising
Travel

Yeah, but the CL exploits all of this at near the maximum. I can’t see a closed group of clubs making more money from these sources than the CL. And that’s without counting a possible erosion of interest, leading to a reduction of TV rights etc.

@Hope.in.your.heart

Matches in Dubai, New York, Tokyo, Beijing…imagine the global appeal…imagine the cash cow?

I see… a new form of Harlem Globe Trotters. But no genuine fans anymore, just spectators, nothing of our prestigious history left over, just some empty clichees…

Well, I must be a ‘legacy fan’ too then…

But in the long term, it won’t work out well for them, that I’m quite sure of it. Football still needs to be based on some form of passion, otherwise the whole thing becomes distasteful.

But maybe they aren’t in it for the long term, just to take out a max of money in a minimum of time? That would go a long way to explain it: take the three billions a year for, say, four or five years, and then fuck off. A very profitable operation for them.

3 Likes

@Hope.in.your.heart

Agree completely
I am confused and emotionally bankrupt with all of this.
I cannot hate FSG (yet) because they have been reasonably good owners, brought Klopp and success.
I have to hate them because they are tearing up our history.

As I said, confused
Am unable to even get angry.
Dont relish the likes of Neville speaking for Liverpool supporters. He doesn’t have the right.

4 Likes