The photography thread

Natural light, it was an incredible morning. It had me running round like an idiot all over the place, conditions were that good. But I have edited it to bring up the highlights on the mountain (a little, didn’t need much) and darkened the mist and sky a little to give it a bit more of a “fine art” feel.

The file straight from the camera is a good image all on its own to be honest but I wanted to do something a little different with it.

What I am chuffed about is this was taken at a focal length of 280mm (that’s long) and if you really zoom in there’s a fence climbing up the mountain that is wonderfully sharp along with the texture in the snow.

1 Like
2 Likes

From late last year snow “storm”. Nothing fancy, just taken with phone camera. No filters applied. 30% of the original photos size.

3 Likes

cool beans. Loving photography in the snow. Trees etc seem to spring into a whole different look and the light plays so beautifully on them.

Phone cameras are fine IMO provided you treat them as you would a camera and not banging out a selfie or some snapshot. There is of course the power of editing software which just opens up numerous worlds off the back of any image to be honest. It becomes a very personal thing too as no two people will edit a photo in the same way.

I hope to have another up tomorrow, taken on the same morning as the one above.

2 Likes

Good thread @Noo_Noo

Anyone, from ground floor basics through to top professional or hobbyists, could do worse than check out the following…

XARA PHOTO & GRAPHIC DESIGNER

Besides being sooooo easy to use, this programme will allow you to transform any image or picture, in ways that seem impossible… The end results are just staggering.!
It has hundreds of tutorials on youtube that cover any transformation you could ever hope to achieve with a photograph.
The methods are explained ABC fashion for ease of understanding and eventual mastery…
Hope this helps…

2 Likes

Another new one from me.

I’ll admit to cheating a little on this one. I’ve swapped the sky on this image. Basically, I had two images taken a minute or two apart, one where the sky was gorgeous but the mountain had a little bit of motion blur while the other had a less spectacular sky but the mountain was tack sharp.

9 Likes

Golden sky :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Didn’t know where to put this.

Is this a filming editing trick?

3 Likes

Took this pic the other day, a wet and windy morning, just around my neck of the woods (took it with my iPhone, without filters or anything):

11 Likes

not bad. Nothing like a good bit of mood in a photograph.

1 Like

That picture is the visual embodiment of half of the music I listen to, or actually more like four fifths. :joy: That’s stunningly beautiful and haunting, I’m in envy of it, I honestly am.

2 Likes

I’d have wished to have a better camera when I took it. These iPhones pics aren’t bad, but…

Haha yeah, it was a special moment. What I like about that pic is the light reflecting from the ground because of the rain.

yeah a camera can help because you full control over the image but by far the biggest things with photographs is light and composition. you’ve got the light here. Composition would probably be the only thing I could call out on the image to be honest. Everything else could be tweaked in post processing to make it really jump.

2 Likes

Sublime. Breathtaking. Surreal.

1 Like
3 Likes

Second from bottom is a remarkable shot

From my nature aquarium at home: (Cellphone pic with no editing)

3 Likes

Is that a planted aquarium? My little one wants an aquarium and I’m leaning towards making it as natural as possible.

1 Like

Yes it is. Complete setup with external filter, Co2 injection, live plants and lava substrate.

3 Likes

3 Likes