Practice :wink:

1 Like

Awesome :clap:
Show us more
Show us more
Show us more
:blush:

Very nice.

Lightning is one I have an ambition to get but we dont get enough of the proper storms here in the UK. I tried last year at one point but it was a dismal failure in the end.

2 Likes

Burst mode with 2 second exposure from a good vantage point is your friend there. Take 1000 pics, get one good one.

Nope

Long exposure, up to 30 seconds depending on light and what filter I’d put in front of the camera. Point at the storm, cross fingers. If not try again. Issue I had was the storm passed before I got anything half decent. I only saw one decent bolt

Depends whether you want to catch one hit or multiple. 30 seconds will require a careful juggle of iso and F.

Of course. That’s why I have a DSLR and filters ranging from 2 stops to 10 stops. I’d also vary the exposure time accordingly.

It’s always trial and error. Helps these days that you can go whole sky wide angle and then zoom into the image.

A little, but it also helps to understand the relationship between aperture, exposure time and ISO. And of course use the camera’s in built tools like exposure meter etc.

Wide angle lenses are great but they lack compression and that really bugs me for shots like this.

Absolutely, that’s one of the few advantages over camera phones these days. I saw a wedding video (and photos) shot an an iPhone recently :flushed:

They paid for that? wow. Savage

Was his brother’s wedding. Superb job. Guy’s a good friend who does pro weddings.

I’ll freely admit that I often turn up to video shoots with cameras and tripods and lenses knowing full well that my phone could do almost as good a job.

I honestly surprised. If he can pull it off, fair play. But I remain surprised, and would have lots of questions with regard to certain aspects of shooting.

Overall though, video is not my thing to be honest.

1 Like

Just an early morning cellphone shot, with ‘filter’ assistance from the massive wildfires to the west.

5 Likes

That such beauty can be created by something so disasterous and ugly. Bewildering. Nice photo.
(You can see how the ‘smog’? is influencing the shot).

Yes, the smoke is high and thin, no effect on ground level, but sunrises and sunsets passing through at a low angle are stunning. I actually missed the ideal shot, a few minutes earlier the sun was blood red and there were two loons on the lake.

1 Like

The Man City fan club had their annual meet up on a lake? :rofl:

3 Likes

This evening’s effort, from the other side of the lake. Last one was taken from the shore seen here, on the left.

8 Likes

What a stunning snap. At the first glance I thought it’s a painting, the doorframe perfectly mimicking a painting frame.

7 Likes