The photography thread

It is a good one. I’d actually prefer it without the cat but it’s obviously pretty special with it in a different way.

I need to start getting out again I think. I always struggle in the Summer though. Too much harsh daylight and the weather is pretty uneventful in the UK. We’ll probably get some storms over the next few months and of course Autumn and Winter. Those are the best seasons for me.

Looks like a young Lynx Boreal which if the case would make the photo pretty special in it’s own right imo. The problem becomes how did the feline get in it? (particularly if it is a Lynx).
Anyway going into too much detail.
Yes without the feline it would be a magnificent photo.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s an Iberian Lynx. That house is abandoned and on the periphery of the mountain.

1 Like

For the record the composition uses what they call “framing”. The window basically frames the subject and draws the eye towards the subject matter.

That is obviously the cat / Lynx. Take the cat away and it draws you towards the green door which again makes you wonder what’s beyond etc.

I always look for things like this in my photography. A subject, and something, someway of drawing your eye towards it.

1 Like

Yes my guess is is that the Lynx are the subjet, the photographer is setting up to snap a familly of Lynx.
If for example it was an occupied farm he could sit and wait for hens, cats, dogs … to pass.
Photographers will sit for hours snapping away just to get the right lighting effect.

Guilty, nearly frozen my n**s on more than one occasion. But nature never behaves so my advice to any photographer is “look behind you”. The amount of times I’ve set up to catch a scene and it simply hasn’t happened but all of a sudden something magical will happen behind me.

My most successful photography comes from a bit of basic planning i.e. where the sun is going to be, reconnaissance visits and building up a mental data base of possible shots. Then its simply going there when the conditions could be right. I then simply walk around and more often than not walk away with something completely different.

Reminds of a sighting in the Kruger with the ex and I about 8 years ago now . Came across a dead Buffalo one afternoon which looked to have died naturally. In that setting its literally only a matter of time (sometimes a long, long time though) before lions and hyena show up and can often be a spectacular interaction with great photo opportunites. Anyway, we returned the next day early and still nothing much had disturbed the carcass except for a continual gathering of vultures. So we sat and talked, and waited and waited and waited for hours with laser focus on this dead, and by now fairly stinky buffalo while about 50 meters back stood another vehicle for almost as long (we figured the smell bothered them) until eventually they came and joined us and asked how we enjoyed the cheetah mom and cubs feeding and gamboling about the steenbok they had killed a little while before in the other direction :man_facepalming:

Been there myself, I always blamed my ‘limited’ equipement but looking back I wasn’t that good. Loved playing around yet never mastered the technical side. I’m a bit of a perfectionnist that didn’t help.
Subjet was always a big problem for me as well as not taking enough shots as I found the cost of film and developing an enormous restraint.
Must admit though I did manage a few lovely shots in my time so I might get round to scanning and posting them in a few weeks.
My best work was just catching a glimpse of something while chugging around in my car, pulling up and taking a few snap shots.

2 Likes

Looks like a young Lynx Boreal which if the case would make the photo pretty special in it’s own right imo.

Especially as it has only got three legs…! Ya don’t see many of them

1 Like

… and only half a tail. :wink: :rofl:

I like these ones taken during a sking holiday up in the Alpes de Haute Provence/Hautes Alpes.

1 Like

Quite happy with this one.

2 Likes

Good one. The symmetry works

1 Like

That’s a banging one mate.

Fireworks was 1 I always struggled to get a decent shot of.

1 Like

Do you guys have any photos of campfires?

I do, well sort of.

Would you share one/some :pleading_face:

bear with me as I try and find one.

1 Like
1 Like

Desperate Housewives Waiting GIF by HULU