The R.I.P. thread

Product of his era in that respect. 99% of men would have had the same attitude in the 60s and 70s; I dare say most still do.

3 Likes

Yeah, but he was very unrepentant and his idea of conciliation on the issue was to advise men to ‘alwaysh ush an open hand, and never a closhed fisht’.

There were always rumours and allegations of domestic violence and affairs following him round.

He just, privately, did not seem a particularly nice man.

2 Likes

Ah, the good old days when a man could still be a man. :innocent:

Count me out.

1 Like

Another time he was interviewed about his view on the controversial nature of playing a character who rapes his wife on their honeymoon, (leading to her character’s failed suicide attempt). This is almost chilling even for back then; he seemed to relish exploring that side of the role:

https://youtu.be/xJPlx5MuivY

He gives the weirdest plot summary you could imagine about the female character’s story. ‘She had some problems with her mother when she was a hooker’ is so wrong-headed.
The sailor played by Bruce Dern who the little girl Marnie kills with a metal poker to protect her mother from being beaten up by him, was paying for the sex; but that was entirely incidental; it could have been her father doing it. The problem was little Marnie’s experience of sexual aggression at a young age and the killing have totally messed her up.

1 Like

RIP Sean Connery. He will always be the original Bond. One of Scotland’s finest actors.
I loved his non Bond films more, such as In the Name of the Rose, The Wind and the Lion, The Man who would be King, The Hunt for Red October, The Untouchables, Robin and Marion and Marnie.
He also made some of the worst films ever, his red outfit in Zardoz was a right turn off!

5 Likes
1 Like

RIP Ramirez

There can be only one.

3 Likes

Who is Ramirez?

Sean Connery in Highlander

1 Like

Oh I see. I never saw that film. Is it worth watching?

The special effects are a bit dated now but the storyline is a cracker and one of the top 5 soundtracks ever IMO

But do avoid the follow up films and tv shows - very poor indeed.

4 Likes

Top class journalist, will be sorely missed.

4 Likes

Oh, that’s a great loss. :sob:. He wrote some very informative and scathing articles on US invasion of Iraq. Rest in peace legend.

2 Likes

It’s one of those movies that has dated very badly.

It was one of my favourite movies when I was a teenager. Rewatched it recently and it seemed very wooden.

Still great premise for a movie

3 Likes

The big problem is Lambert, who can neither act nor speak audibly in English (iirc all his lines had to redubbed after filming, which gives the lip-syncing a slightly uncanny feel at times).

Clancy Brown as the Kurgan is one of my all-time favourite movie villains, though.

You also have to give props to whoever cast a Frenchman as a Scot, and a Scot as an Egyptian-raised Spaniard. :joy:

6 Likes

Hugh Quarshie as Sunda Kastagir is also great but not in it for anywhere near long enough.

1 Like

He also played a Scottish suave English Spy (although Fleming later wrote a Scottish back story for Bond out of admiration for Connery’s performance), a Scottish Russian Sub Commander, a Scottish American Professor, a Scottish English medieval outlaw, a Scottish Saudi Arabian minister, a Scottish Greek King, and a Scottish Irish Police Chief.

The BBC obit describes him as ‘versatile’. He was a good actor and an immense screen presence, but versatile? :rofl:

2 Likes

The best thing about all those roles is the 0% effort he put into attempting any of the accents :joy:

3 Likes

Can you imagine if he had?! It would have been worse than when they tried to make him look Japanese!

Reminds me of Don Rickles, to Charlton Heston’s face, ripping the shit out of his portrayal of Moses,
“If you were Moses, I was a Mau Mau fighter pilot” :rofl:

3 Likes