The R.I.P. thread

Frank McGarvey: Former Celtic, St Mirren and Scotland forward dies aged 66 - Frank McGarvey: Former Celtic, St Mirren and Scotland forward dies aged 66 - BBC Sport

I can’t remember him being at Anfield.

4 Likes

From Wikipedia:
McGarvey‘s form attracted the attention of Bob Paisley and, in May 1979, McGarvey signed for Liverpool for £270,000. However, his tenure with the club lasted only 10 months. Unable to break into the first team, he sought a transfer. Liverpool accepted a bid of £270,000 by Celtic in March 1980, and for a short time McGarvey became Scotland’s most expensive footballer.

It gives a Central League championship amongst his honours so he must have been in our reserves.

4 Likes

I remember him being a fairly prolific goal scorer for Celtic.
RIP

2 Likes

He was extremely prolific in the Bow and Arrow.

Anita Pointer of the Pointer Sisters Dies at 74, RIP.

3 Likes

Barry Lane dies. 62 way too young.

Years ago, it would have been 1994-95, I was in Phoenix, watching the Phoenix Open. Everyone was cheering for Mickelsen and Furyk, but I was loudly cheering for Barry Lane, who was in contention.

As he walked past he stopped to chat to me for a second, and said, “It’s nice to have some support here, so far away from home.”

RIP Barry Lane.

8 Likes

Anne Frank, Martin Luther King and Barbara Walters were all born in the same year.

4 Likes

Ken Block died in a snowmobile accident

A big fan of his cars/work. RIP.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Christ. Jeremy Renner had a similar incident over the weekend at his ranch and is still in ICU. He’s expected to pull through but is in serious condition.

2 Likes

Yeah I didn’t mention that as didn’t want to mix it up with the RIP stuff! He’s posted on his socials now that he’s on the mend. Run over by his own 6.5 tonnes snow plough! Madness.

1 Like

Block like Schumacher risked so much for so many years then get mangled effectively having fun.

1 Like

Probably best known for Life and Loves of a She-Devil, Fay Weldon has died aged 91.

3 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

58 is no age. Pancreatic cancer is a brutal thing.

3 Likes

Ah shame. He seemed a lovely bloke. Guy I work with is a Chelsea fan and said he met him a few times and was a true gent.
5% of people survive pancreatic cancer. Once you get that it’s over. My wife’s dad was a bigger than life character and to see him whittle down to nothing in less than 5 months was awful.
He was 66 and did all 12 chemos but he started to get infections and that’s what killed him. He was diagnosed in late Feb 2016 and died in mid Oct

7 Likes

Very very sad to hear about this.

Italian football has lost an elite player and a memorable personality.

Fondly remember being back in Italy sat on the couch with my father as a young kid surrounded by many many cousins as we watched his partnership blossom with Mancini at Samp. A truly great era of football to be around at the time and glad I got to see him play a huge part in that.

4 Likes

Hadnt realised the survival rate was so low. :frowning:

1 Like

Heard an oncologist once say that it’s the best one to have behind stomach. You’re usually almost gone before they find it.

2 Likes