The Random Football Debate Thread

We have had several players whose fathers were successful players before them. Thiago’s dad won a world cup with Brazil, and he has another son, Rafinha, who has had a very good career. Both Xabi and Reina’s dad’s were successful footballers. Reina’s dad was a top keeper for Barca and Atletico. Miguel Alonso got 20 or so caps for Spain and won 3 La Liga titles, first with Sociedad and later with Barca. MacAlister’s dad also had a very respectable career in Argentina winning a handful of caps for them. We of course also had NIgel Clough play for us for several years

There are a lot of others where there was a big gulf in the success between the father and son, but ones of the top of head who were both pretty succesful are:

• Danny and Daley Blind
  • Forlan is the third generation in his family to have played for Uruguay, all of them having won the Copa
  • Lillian Thuram and Marcus and Kephren
  • One player we’ve been linked to, Federico Chiesa, had a dad who was a top striker in Serie A through the 90s. He played on that up coming Parma side that had Buffon, Asprila, Thuram, Crespo, and Veron
  • The Haalands
  • Cesare Maldini was a Milan legend from the 50s and 60s and played on the first european cup winning side
  • Lampard Sr played for West Ham for 15 years or so and got a couple of england caps in the 70s
  • Jordan and Andre Ayew are the son of Abedi Pele, one of the first top African players who played for the great (and now disgraced) Marseille side of the early 90s
3 Likes

Yeah the Maldini’s came to mind when I had posted it.

Thanks for some of the history. Crazy that all 4 sons of Zidane have gone into football.

Though doesn’t look a particularly high level though still young two of them.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Kenny and Paul.

I will be speaking to the mods about this travesty and requesting they revoke all the above posters’ Liverpool fan cards :wink:

1 Like

Didn’t know that :star_struck: :heart_eyes:

Diego Simone’s sons are having a decent career too.

Two peas in a pod, that were…
Tony Hateley
Mark Hateley

4 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Emile Heskey’s son is a CF for Man City’s academy.

Unfortunately he can’t hit a barn door with shotgun.

2 Likes

So a chip off the old block then?

2 Likes

I think people missed the “good” part.

I played with Paul Dalglish (yeah was a 5 a side) but.

2 Likes

Wow look at you starfucker!
I played on the same team as Paul McGrath and Michael Robinson…neither were great footballers…but had the same names as famous ones!

Didn’t realise young Koumas is Jason Koumas’ son, also.

Alexis’ old man, Carlos, was a steady player. Seems like you don’t get much say in your career if you’re born into that family.

2 Likes

Of course, there was a lot of hype from my United friends on the playground when they signed Jordi Cruyff, but I’m not sure how that worked out.

1 Like

He was ironically one of the first I thought of when thinking generally the sons of great players are crap.

That was after all the point I was making… seemed to go away from that :joy:

1 Like

Pepe Reina’s old man was a decent keeper, wasn’t he?

Just might be pertinent that some footballers coming from families with football history might be better equipped to deal with the fame,money etc. They wouldn’t repeat the mistakes their fathers made for sure.

Oxlade Chamberlain and his father Mark Chamberlain did have the success.

1 Like

Another career blighted by injury

On 21 December 2023, Oxlade-Chamberlain was diagnosed with a full-thickness tear in his posterior thigh muscle (Biceps femoris) and he is expected to be out for 4 months

1 Like

He won a CL and PL with his boyhood club and continues to earn a great living (albeit doing rehab rather than playing). Sure he may have done even more but really not a bad career and probably one 95% of pros would envy. And he may want to turn his hand to management; who knows could spend the next 30 years at the top level.

1 Like

Won almost all the club level trophies there with both Arsenal and more importantly later with Liverpool. Overall , a millionaire with a very successful career.

2 Likes

The original AOC.

Tory name, tho.

I just seem to remember him having long spells out through injury with us and Arsenal.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-oxlade-chamberlain/verletzungen/spieler/143424