The Referees or The Twelfth Man

This is an interesting development

Right now the Clear and Obvious requirement for intervention and commitment to maintaining a “high threshold” means we have created a category of decision of “the ref was definitely wrong but not wrong enough for us to tell him he was wrong”. In trying to find the balance between correcting impactful errors vs not overly disrupting the flow of the game they have landed on an approach that is unsatisfactory and frustrating for everyone and leads to unending complaints not so much about the outcome, but the seeming inconsistency on when VAR is used to intervene on something. This challenge approach might have problems, but it seems to me like it solves a LOT of the current problems.

3 Likes

I think we discussed challenge on these boards as an approach to improving VAR quite a while ago - I’m not surprised it took them this long to hold the first trials as I believed it would never be seriously considered in the first place. That said, challenge resolves the error of Diaz’ goal at Tottenham but would it resolve the errors like Odegaard playing basketball at Anfield or Doku going Liu Kang on Mac Allister?

1 Like

I don’t think we can say with much confidence what outcomes it would change. But it would at least eliminate the situation we’re in now where the person in the VAR is not concerned about what the decision should have been but only if there a plausible way to back up the ref’s on pitch decision even if they disagree with it.

I understand the argument that refs may be reluctant to change their mind at the monitor after being challenged by a manager they have a tumultuous relationship with. But they will at least be going there only to determine what they think the correct decision is, rather than having a second person trying to decide if the decision is badly enough wrong to say anything about it.

2 Likes

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/05/paul-tierney-made-more-var-errors-than-any-referee-in-the-premier-league/?

But he also delivers the best bl#wj#b according to Howard Webb.

3 Likes

A pilot scheme has now been extended to expedite the progression of former players to top level refs

I dont think it will have a real benefit, but it’s right that they are at least trying it

2 Likes

Fast tracked as soon as you pass the course: “Doing what we want, without making it look like you’re doing what we want.”

1 Like

By fast track - I simply think it means they get their head shaved, then they are good to go with the whistle… Hey, can’t be any worse than those in place can they :0)

3 Likes