The Referees or The Twelfth Man

Anybody questioning whether there is a division-wide bias problem or that the problem is that the refs are just really, really,REALLY bad should take a look at the penalty against Chelsea tonight.

I still don’t understand how VAR cannot be overruling that as a clear and obvious error. It’s just nuts.

1 Like

Probably because it was a penalty.

2 Likes

I see Sky Sports barely showed a replay, but this is from my Canal+ telecast. Watch the third replay in particular. Saka gripping the Chelsea players hand then pinning his arm around him. Its dodgy AF. I’m unsure how that can stand. Its as blatant as a dive IMO:

1 Like

That’s the Suarez special right there

It’s the high bar to overturn. If what the ref says can plausibly match what the video can see, then nothing will be done. Granted, this can (and often times does, especially for us) enter the realms of make believe.

Refer to the Jota stopping on purpose to win a pen interpretation.

1 Like

The bit that is the focus of that clip comes after Azpi put both arms around him to hold him. What Saka does in that clip doesnt negate that the foul had already occurred. It’s one of those difficult ones that it is absolutely a foul, but one you might feel aggrieved given how often this sort of “defending” is allowed.

Posted in the FA Cup thread, but putting it here as well

1 Like

Martin Atkinson and Jon Moss retiring

2 Likes

Utd losing their most influential and long serving squad member at the end of this season

3 Likes

Ostensibly that looks like good news but we all know that PGMOL will just replace them with more corrupt wankers.

2 Likes

I understand that I am referring to a foreign referee but I was really impressed with Danny Makkelie tonight. He let a lot go for either side and didn’t buy into the theatrics of some of the Villarreal players. He maybe could have booked someone earlier but in general was good.

7 Likes

He got the big calls right and that’s what you want.

2 Likes

I definitely think that the time wasting in the Champions League is worse than in the Prem. Even in the Prem the average time the ball is in play is only 55 minutes. They have definitely got to embrace the concept of stopping the clock for injuries, substitutions and bookings.

I just hope Real don’t get an early goal in the final as we could end up with only 40 minutes of actual playing time. The time wasting in the last 15 minutes of extra time against City was crazy and only 3 minutes added and he blew before that had even elapsed.

1 Like

I don’t think that any rules need to be changed/brought in, as the refs already have the power and ability to deal with time wasting by issuing yellow cards - they just don’t have the balls to.

This is where I think video tech can be used to issue cards respectively when they are able to go back through the footage without the pressure of crouds, managers and players trying to badger them

1 Like

The problem I see with adding time on, is the TV companies won’t allow it because it impedes their analysis timeline

The problem is though that the time keeping is not transparent. It works in every other field sport so why not football? You could have 35 minutes each way of actual playing time. That is how it works with hockey for instance and they play 40 minutes of actual rugby.

In the prem we get only 27 minutes of actual play each half…on average

2 Likes

And if things change, you’ll get 25-30 minutes of actual play each half and commercials.

1 Like

Yes, it works fine in rugby, so why not football?

1 Like

You don’t get commercials during rugby matches and if a game is shown on BBC then commercials are not allowed anyway. If you stop the clock for trainers coming on then there is no incentive at all for playacting. Also players strolling off at substitutions would be pointless.

It ia simple solution. Play 35 each way of actual play. The “time added” is a total farce…

4 Likes

The clock does stop for on-field treatment and subs already result in an automatic 30 seconds being added