The Referees or The Twelfth Man

Next year we got 3 replacements for them, all from greater Manchester … :innocent:

1 Like

Mike Riley to step down as managing director of professional game match officials limited this season after 13 years.

1 Like

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

1 Like

I second it…

1 Like

Come back Mike Riley, all is forgiven.

1 Like

I can hear them cheer all over Mancester.

2 Likes

Man United’s summer has finally kicked off, they won’t need De Jong and Antony now.

3 Likes

i wonder if Fergie had anything to do with this! :wink:

1 Like

He went to the MLS because with Riley in charge there was no room for advancement in English football. With Riley going he was always going to be the most likely pick to take over.

You missed out the r.

4 Likes

Hopefully it’s a bit quicker than the VAR on display in MLS.

It has just become more difficult to win the PL next season. Webb will be as important as Haaland. His track record for Liverpool has been abysmal, biased and most like a product of his previous job. I imagine some legacy stuff exixts in that department concerning Liverpool.
This isn’t your run of the mill conspiracy theory, this is extremely worrying.

3 Likes

Why?
Based on what criteria is he the most likely candidate for the top refereeing job in arguably the best competition in world football?

1 Like

And let’s not forget the defeat at Chelsea in December 2013, where Webb failed to give two clear penalties when Suarez was blatantly fouled and didn’t send off Eto’o (who went on to score the winner) for a shocking challenge on Henderson.

That game cost us the league that season, not Gerrard’s infamous slip.

6 Likes

A reminder of this eleven year old article…

1 Like

That failure to give a penalty for the foul on Suarez remains the worst decision I’ve ever seen on a football pitch.

There have been plenty of bad ones before and since but that one is absolutely the worst.

2 Likes

Won’t bother with the league next season thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Good one.
Keep the head buried, reality isn’t all roses.

He’s one of only 3 English men to ref a world cup final, and one of only two to do a champions league final and world cup final. Regardless of what we may think of him, he was incredibly well regarded in the wider game.