The Referees or The Twelfth Man

What do you think of him?

My point is that is he incredibly well regarded in the game and it should have surprised no one that he’d be picked to replace a retiring Riley. My opinion of him is irrelevant to that point.

I understand that, I asked what you think of him.

Edit: I dont think anyone is surprised he is in contention for the role.

Well this isn’t reality though is it.

Riley was garbage, Webb might be too but the fact is I don’t think MLS standards are much cop anyhow. Man Utd’s form won’t magically improve and we didn’t lose the title because of Webb (sorry but we went for a win when a draw would have done…twice).

Seriously I agree Man City get overly favourable decisions but if every ref is hellbent on Liverpool losing the title we would be a fair bit further off than a point.

We did our very best to take it out of the equation last season as we do most seasons but 99% of fans will think refs fuck them over. A poor start with points against teams like Brentford and Brighton are far more the reason why we didn’t win it.

I’m a bit tiresome now of this argument even before a ball is kicked. The massive issue with refeering in this country is the fact that refs are treated like shit the moment they ref their first game to the moment they reach the top flight.

Nothing will improve that until it becomes professional from the bottom up. Where proper support is givin by those at clubs so when you see a 16 year old refeering his first or second match he isn’t called a faggot every five minutes by the club captain and that captain is dealt with in the strongest possible way.

That’s your issue with refeering not whether one useless fucker is replaced by another.

Anyhow don’t bother replying, I’ve got my head in the sand.

1 Like

One last reply.
Webb has form concerning Liverpool. Its there if you are bothered to look at it.
I really dont care if you see the discussion as tiresome, but the fact that its a discussion at all should ring alarm bells.

Even if those who see Webb as a biased fuck are only 10% correct, then that is a worry. Surely from the ostrich position you can see that much?

The tiresome part for me is that nothing is ever done about this kind of stuff. Its time for Liverpool to complain. Make a nuisance of themselves. We are two titles short due to bias, incompetence or corruption. Time to take a stand.

1 Like

Three.

2 Likes

Webb has introduced several new “communication” and “accountability” elements which have been widely accepted as big positives for the game in America. For example the ref explaining decisions made after the game.

Good job his bias is for Utd who are shit, if it was City you’d be worried. Personally couldn’t stand the prick especially after incredulous look he gave Sterling when he touched him once, but anyone is better than Riley, he is the square root of everything wrong.

1 Like

This gets trotted out time and again and is completely false. Those results you mention are completely normal in a ‘normal’ league. The great LFC sides of the 70’s and 80’s suffered similar results in games they were expected to win easily. Abu Dhabi failed to beat Southampton and Palace home or away last season.
Last season the title was decided by cheats, mainly Kavanagh who is an absolute fucking disgrace and should have been exposed by our club. That we didn’t go after him publicly is a massive mistake imo and one that will cost us again in the future.
Kavanagh, Taylor, Tierney, Atwell and Coote all have issues with this football club and myself and others have highlighted their clear corruption on numerous occasions in the past. Their new boss is an ex-South Yorkshire policeman with plenty of previous for fucking us over. Any Liverpool supporter who is happy with this situation has their head well and truly buried in the sand.

7 Likes

If it’s both of these things, you should find a proper journalist to do an expose instead of pissing into the wind on a forum. Seriously. You’re telling me there’s not a single UK based investigative journalist willing to break what would be one of the biggest sporting scandals of all time?

Is there room on the forum for alternative viewpoints? Maybe you don’t agree that there is a corrupt nature to football, that’s your right…but similarly there is room for views contrary to yours.

This goes back to the old TIA thread where the doubters demanded proof, and more and more ad nauseum. There are stark reminders of corruption in football in front of you, spirtswashing, Qatar, FIFA…and note the common theme? Fuck all being done about it. Why is that? Those involved are too powerful?

Corruption takes many forms, from the mass global scale to the slightest change in a process to changes outcomes. None of us on this side of the argument have ever spoke of grand scale corruption. We have pointed out examples, many of them where Liverpool have been subject of dodgy decisions. @jaffod has repeated this countless times, and despite all the counter argument no one has been able to prove that these decisions are random, occasional mistakes.

Of course there is the bleating narrative about other clubs feeling the same…frankly thats bollox. Liverpool supporters flocking to other fans forums to see if they feel like we do? And then presenting weak examples of how the other teams are equally sinned against? At some point we are allowed to ask questions in a partisan manner without being expected to take on the views of City fans. Or Arsenal fans…or Leicester fans… you know, the reasonable types that mock poverty and call our supporters bin dippers and murderers. We are invited to check out their opinions!

This strand of debate started with the appointment of Webb as refs chief in the PL…with loads of examples to illustrate his agenda with Liverpool, fuck sake John Aldridge compromised his media career by calling him out…
But according to conventional wisdom he is the man for the job.
I asked @Limiescouse about his personal view on Webb, but got the defence of the appointment because of his track record.
For clarity:
Whats your view on Webb?
Is this appointment helpful for Liverpool or is it going to compound the already existing bias?

Apologies if there is edge to this. But it annoys me that the same stuff is used to counter any attempt at productive argument surrounding the likes of Webb, Atkinson, Moss, Kavanagh et al. Look for proof, look for investigative journalism.

The grand scale corruption surrounding Qatar will becon a TV station near you this year…how many investigative journalists are working to bring that rotten shithouse world cup down before it starts?

3 Likes

Ha ha good one.

The problem is I doubt the likes of Kavanagh would keep a diary with entries like “Dear diary, today I denied Everton a nailed on penalty which would have more than likely cost Manchester City 2 points in their quest to finish above Liverpool”, or allow himself to be filmed admitting he denied us a clear penalty at Spurs, failed to recommend Kane be sent off and then suggest Robertson should be sent off all in the same game.
There will be no hard evidence to uncover but it’s still clear as day to me. You already know that of course.

3 Likes

Dear Diary
I wonder who is on the SKY panel today? Hope its not Keane as he will slam me if Utd are penalised for anything…
Bad news, its Keane. I need to be really careful.

1 Like

In all the excitement about Salah signing yesterday, we seem to have missed another big signing. Mike Dean is being signed up as a VAR ref…

Mike Dean will become a dedicated video assistant referee (VAR) following his retirement from refereeing, The Athletic understands.

He will become the second permanent VAR appointed by the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), after Lee Mason

Mike Deans a funny one. I dont really dislike him or like him. He certainly doesnt get much hate from our fans (compared to others). His family are apparently bug Liverpool fans, so theres usually some grumbling from other fans when hes officiating our game or a game important to us.

On the appointment, i hope having dedicated VAR refs will give more consistency in the decision making, rather than having a rotation. But you need 10 dedicated VAR refs to make it work, they have 2.

This is a complete blag made up on twitter to wind up rival fans.

He supports Tranmere Rovers.

The thing I like about having some dedicated VAR refs is, if they do a good balanced job it will very quickly shine the light on the others who don’t. Dean was a good ref, so hopefully he’ll be a good choice for this.

1 Like

Yep…but if his family support the pool then its enough to start the anger on twitter. Doesnt take much. All the refs from greater manchester dont support either manc teams but we dont like that either.

As I said it was a joke made up by someone on twitter saying Deans sons were die hard liverpool fans with season tickets, its not true.

Yeah i dont dispute that. Just saying once the muds thrown, it sticks.

Yep like all the greater manchester refs all supported Utd and now City…

I wouldn’t be against separating the two say on a specific season, so you can be one or the other for that season.

I expect you’ll see the full time VAR names on the big games.

Lee Mason isn’t much cop mind.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan!

I always thought he was poor because he was always behind play, never felt he had any bias.

1 Like