The Referees or The Twelfth Man

It needs some punctuation assistance:

Assistant referees have been instructed to only delay raising their flag for: an obvious offside when there is an immediate chance of a goal and very obvious attacking phase; and tight onside/offside calls.

2 Likes

Pop Tv Reaction GIF by Schitt's Creek

Still, raises the question of what has changed. Is just one of emphasis, in that the default was to keep the flag down unless it was obvious and now itā€™s switched to do your job on offsides, but err on the side of caution in these situations?

1 Like

I hear that there have been dodgy ref decisions again this week-end, Anthony freaking Tailor doing a nice job on Chelsea this time it seems. Never seen such a level of incompetence anywhere, anytime. This guy is a complete fraud, and it really raises the question how on earth he got his position in the first place?

And of course, the VAR guy did nothing at all to correct his blatant errors.

2 Likes

I think VAR was the biggest culprit, Referees can miss stuff but they canā€™t. How pulling someone to the ground by their hair is not a straight red I donā€™t understand. Still, glad it ended in a draw and both managers got a red!!!

3 Likes

For us, itā€™s a nice result for sure, but this guy is an absolute liability and you just know that weā€™ll soon find ourselves at the bad end of one of his usual fuck-upsā€¦

Do you know who who was the guy on VAR for this game?

2 Likes

Mike Dean. Normally pretty good.

1 Like

Anyone normally pretty bad?
You were on the Premier League thread yesterday evening baiting, so now instead of that maybe answer the question.

In your opinion are there any incompetent referees in the game?

Referees and VAR (also a referee) have good and bad games just like players do. Do I believe they have bias against certain teams so referee them differently? Maybe and certainly in the time of Alex Ferguson. However when you consider there is now a team of 6 officials appointed to every game then I think it is highly unlikely that it would not be picked up. I do watch a lot of Premier League games and I see what I think are good and bad calls in all of them so do I think we get more than our fair share of bad calls? No I donā€™t particularlyā€¦

I do think referees get unfair stick.Take yesterday and Taylor and the ā€œfoulā€ before the first Spurs goal. That occured right in front of the linesman. Why didnā€™t he flag it? I notice that in general linesman seem to be immune to criticism. He was way closer to it than Taylor who may well have been unsighted or genuinely thought the player got the ball. The hair pull. A clear call for VAR to make and again maybe Taylor just didnā€™t see it. I spent years officiating in a different field sport and know how hard it is to keep your eye on the ball and also monitor stuff happening behind your back. You are reliant on colleague(s) to point it out. Re. Taylor I actually think he is normally one of the best but things happened yesterday which no doubt he will reflect that his colleagues didnā€™t give him any help.

3 Likes

Taylor? One of the best?

1 Like

I think this guy pretty much gets it right. I certainly agree that Oliver is consistently the best.

Iā€™d like to see such a list made by a ref from abroad. I donā€™t trust Hackett to be fair, a former PGMOL manager during Fergusonā€™s times, and member of that old boys club worshipping the mancs.

Also, Iā€™m not sure on what he bases his ranking. From what Iā€™ve seen, Taylor has the abject habit to get key decisions wrong, and thus to influence results. One of these refs who gets the small decisions consistently right, but then goes AWOL on one or two really big occasions.

1 Like

Given the play ended in only a corner, VAR can only intervene if they think it is a red card offense. Iā€™m sure some people would be ok with that being a red card, but just as many not so I understand why VAR would have donā€™t nothing.

And this highlights the big issue - how do you use VAR to maximize its ability to help make the right calls without it being overly intrusive with the number of stoppages it makes. The more you lean in one direction the less able you are to deliver on the opposite side of that. the result of the current balance is that had Mendy let in the first header the goal would have been ruled out by VAR for the hair pull and Chelsea would have won. As it is, he made the save, in the absence of the foul being a red card VAR is forced out of the situation and the next corner is allowed to continue. It feels wrong, but Iā€™m not sure what the better approach is.

I actually think they have probably as close to striking the right balance as theyā€™re going to get, but they do a terrible job communicating their thoughts on the balances they are trying to strike and what they are giving preference to. I think a lot of that comes down to being reluctant to acknowledge where they know there are limitations, but I think a proper coms team communicating this and being partnered with by the TV coverage in a way that communicates these incidences in this context would help the public understand it more. Unfortunately, I think the TV companies think covering the controversy is better for them and as a result contribute to a football watching public who are confused about how VAR is being used.

2 Likes

Canā€™t be too much longer before VAR are given the green light to just referee the game via the monitors and pass the correct decision to be made to the cretin in the middle. Have 3 guys making the call in Stockley Park, that way it will always be a democratic decision. Donā€™t really understand all the pussy footing about regarding respecting the referees decisionā€¦ These numptyā€™s need calling out when they make an error of judgementā€¦
He needs telling the way it isā€¦ simple
Football has moved on in leaps and bounds in the last 50yrs, the only thing we are struggling with is the poor standard of rule calling during the 90minsā€¦ Just take the power of casting vote away from the guy in the middle as and when the incident occursā€¦ not retrospectively in the way of moaning for the following few days after a gameā€¦ is what I would vote for anyway.!
Just hope some journalist catches Manthonyester Taylor walking into a bookies one day to place a bet on one of his gamesā€¦

2 Likes

What is the actual point of having VAR?
At least once a week you correct someone on here, myself included on what VAR can or cannot adjudicate on.

The hair pull should be a red card. In the modern context it constitutes violent play. Is that not a red card consideration? That said, how did Taylor miss it?

Back to VARā€¦Richarlison is interfering with play on the first Spurs goal? Its obvious, so why wasnā€™t it chalked off?

1 Like

You actually think Taylor is one of the best?
I am perplexed

2 Likes

Surely that was violent conduct. At any level that would more often that not be a redā€¦if seen. No excuse for VAR on this one.

2 Likes

To try to improve decision making on the big game changing calls without being overly intrusive, meaning for lots of calls it is duty bound to stay out of.

I realize this. Itā€™s a genuine problem.

I can accept that perspective. Iā€™m conscious though that we see far more consequential stuff given leeway every week meaning I get why someone would think this doesnt amount to violent conduct.

I also think, only partly in jest, people with obtrusive comedy hair have to be given some leeway for getting in hair tangles because there is just so god damn much of it.

Do we know when that article was written/published? He just seems to be judging tyem on their performances in the middle? Surely their VAR suite performances should be included?
Have not both Coote and Tierney had really poor decisions highlighted in recent seasons? :thinking::nerd_face:

Dermot Gallagher says Taylor should have been sent to the screen and subsequently issued a red card for the hair pull.
I imagine he knows the remit of VAR?

1 Like