The Referees or The Twelfth Man

Not in the regulations. Nuffink we can do about it, Gov.

1 Like

I think that is maybe the probably the most defensible side of this. I donā€™t think many people really thought that second one independently was worthy of a red. It was definitely the lesser of the two

1 Like

I think that since hearing the released audio of the VAR that part of problem is the self-regulation.

VAR is meant to be assistance and there are presumably two circumstances under which it can help:

1. The on pitch officials have missed an incident because they were unable to fully see the incident or were looking at another incident at the time. This is particularly relevant to things like offsides because, even with the best will in the world, the officials are meant to be looking in two places at once.

2. The on pitch officials have got an incident wrong because they are incompetent, bent or imbeciles.

Both need assisting with and in no way would I hold the first category against anyone. The second need fixing and noting for future reference. If someone constantly gets it wrong they need training or, eventually, dropping.

Now, this canā€™t work when the same group are incentivised not to drop their ā€œmatesā€ in it. The only way I could see it is to have VAR provided from a separate organisation from PGMOL.

Of course, this is never going to happen.

By the way, is it just me or do new referees that no-one has heard of seem to be a lot better than the ā€œbig gunsā€ that they roll out as their brightest and best? Iā€™m sure Oliver seemed to be a safe pair of hands a couple of seasons back.

The 2nd wasnā€™t as bad as the 1st tackle,but both were reds.Both were studs up tackles from behind with full contact on the ankle and nowhere near the ball.The only difference in the 2 was that Kovacic has both feet off the ground on the 1st one.
Maybe the thought process for most was that if he only got a yellow for the 1st tackle then there is no way the 2nd was a red card.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the threshold here? How many fuckups must take place before someone, namely the clubs, decides to do something meaningful? Webb just reaffirmed that these clowns only care about their own little caste. They are incapable of holding themselves accountable and are actively bringing the productā€™s overall value down. Theyā€™ve already determined which team won the league and which team went down on multiple occassions.

How much more are the clubs going to take?

3 Likes

This is where you start seeing some of the positions of the authorities become a bit contradictory. IFAB require that that VAR is operated by people with the appropriate refereeing qualifications. They understandably donā€™t want the difference in opinion between the on field ref and the VAR to come from different experiences and understandings of the laws and ref guidance. But in practice we are seeing it is a meaningfully different job and a year or so ago the PGMOL announced it intended to create a dedicated roster of VAR only officials.

But there is no way for those guys to get to that point without having come up as one of the guys and been involved in the elite ref pool in the first place. How long can someone be VAR only before their experience is no longer comparable with the on field ref to the degree it violates the fundamental IFAB principal?

1 Like

how many players left on the pitch at the end of 90min in this match:

2 Likes

I found the first two releases of this production disappointing in how little meaningful insight they gave, but predictably disappointing if that makes sense knowing what I know of how poorly refs, even the head guy, are able to communicate their decision making. I had vague hope theyā€™d get better with additional episodes.

Even with as pessimistic as I was I dont think even I could have imagined how badly Webb could have handled this with this last episode. I dont see how anyone comes out of this with an even worse view of the refs in general and Webbā€™s ability to fix the trust issue with the fans

1 Like

For a very long time in Industry, most certainly when the unions held the upper hand, it was nigh impossible to undertake a task that you werenā€™t trained, nor supposedly qualified for.

For example, normally in the maintenance section of a production-lineā€¦ this meant a full City & Guilds apprenticeship, or NVQ equivalents. What became frustratingly apparent, there was a plethora of maintenance only type works, that overlapped with production personnel type tasks (same job)ā€¦ Ultimately, it was only when the entire production-line process, deteriorated to such a stage that profits and performance were hindered, due to everything being Engineering driven/reliance, as opposed to the correct procedure for the company to be production driven, as the plants were designed to beā€¦ Compromise was agreed with unions, all staff and managementā€¦ for on the job training to be carried out, per specific taskā€¦! 3months, 6monthsā€¦ etc

This common sense approach, involved the incumbent being shown the ropes, by an expert, of how the task was to be performed. With an in-house certificate gained, this allowed an individual, over time, to become an expert at the task/s he was trained up to do, immaterial of his previous background experience.

In a similar vein, would it not be prudent to train someone on the rules for offside, then for handball, etc
If this means increasing the numbers of individual experts at Stockley Parkā€¦ surely that would unburden the ā€˜jack of all tradeā€™ numptyā€™s, with these fresh experts, of the rules and guidance ā€¦???

Iā€™m assuming these are the calls in question

I think these are completely backwards. Gusto got ball first and his momentum carried him into the tackle. yellow for studs maybe but he has gone in low and on his side, but he got the ball ahead of his opponent

Kovacic was straight red all day long, studs up and zero contact with ball.

I donā€™t understand how Webb is defending this. I just hear a bunch of backtracking and excuses at the beginning which to me is the hallmark of a liar.

2 Likes

The excessive force consideration means it doesnt really matter if you get the ball first or not. This is the basis for both the Jones and Gusto red cards. And in both cases you see the leg buckle or bend at the point of contact, which is typically used as sufficient evidence of excessive force regardless of other considerations.

The issue is it was present in Kovacicā€™s challenge as well and none of the negating factors Webb was trying to reference were remotely relevant to that or considerations anyone has ever heard in any other circumstance.

1 Like

yet if you consider both challenges (Jones and Gusto) going into 50/50 balls and making contact with the ball first with the instep of their shoes and their leg swing presents the studs forward (in both cases). Neither tackle was performed with intent to injure and the risk of injury is just as culpable to the player who plants their foot right behind the ball on a 50/50 challenge which is something we were taught NEVER to do during our development. Iā€™m teaching U10 right now and a ton of my kids have a bad habit of stepping behind the ball to stop it and Iā€™m constantly having to stop play and explain that you should never bear weight on the foot which is playing the ball. thatā€™s how legs get broken.

Out of curiosity, do you think Casemiro was rightly sent off for this tackle in the end?

https://youtube.com/shorts/2b80KCw1g_0?si=OnYVj2XL2WTqQ05X

he jumped into tackle showing studs. had he gone into the tackle on his right side (not his left) and used his laces to take the ball clean it would have been a great bit of skill (Hook slide). But thatā€™s just dirty, and he got the card he deserved.

Yes but taking the ball cleanly surely also means not following through on your opponent that the ref can make a decision regardless if youā€™ve won the ball first or notā€¦going back to your previous post, Gusto neither uses his laces nor wins it cleanly, however I feel a little sympathy for him as itā€™s the bottom of his boot that catches the top of Digneā€™s, but you still canā€™t go studs upā€¦is it a ā€œclear and obvious errorā€ that it obliges VAR intervention, for me no but I also wouldnā€™t have disagreed had the ref shown a straight red.

The fact 99.9% of fans who arenā€™t Utd fans thought Casemiro was rightly sent off kills any argument of ā€œoh but he won the ball firstā€.

he goes into the tackle with a kicking motion from his knee, and makes contact with his instep (not his laces) but he doesnā€™t go in with his studs up. his studs are exposed as his leg finishes the kick at the ball but thereā€™s zero malice or intent and he does take the ball first. the momentum of BOTH players causes the contact. itā€™s a contact sport, these tackles are bound to happen

what blows me away, is the ref is standing RIGHT THERE and his first words are ā€œtackleā€™s fineā€

heā€™s the one watching the game firsthand. edit heā€™s blocked from viewing the contact, linesman make the call for the foul.

https://twitter.com/noahrobson_/status/1711807816829194410

1 Like

a side note, that tackle by Gusto is very awkward, not quite sure why he decided to not fully commit to the ball. his trailing leg is actually planted here when he would have been better off laying down on it. But at this point, heā€™s already kicking the ball far before his opponent has reached it. Probably why they deemed it a card.

Canā€™t believe I havenā€™t seen this until now. Hilarious stuff, I mean Personā€™s an absolute clown but this is hilarious. Watch it, then watch it back in 0.5x speed.

ā€œNo oneā€™s gonna die, no oneā€™s gonna happenā€

https://twitter.com/TheKopWatch/status/1710623721457615062

1 Like

Iā€™d rather listen to Rishi Sunak, not sure why people put themselves through such absolute horseshit.