The Referees or The Twelfth Man

In what way has he changed his tune? Seems fairly consistent.

Seems you got that wrong he is consistent it what he is saying, Mascot is talking about Arteta!

It’s not just that. It’s the attitude of refereeing.

Strutting round the pitch like jumped up little bissies, dismissively waving players away, refusing to make eye contact, refusing to communicate. Their whole demeanour is wrong.

People go on about rugby players respecting the referee, but people always miss that the referees respect the players. They explain their decisions. They are transparent. They take the help on offer, and don’t just guess at shit and then act infallible.

The whole relationship between reds and players needs a total reset. Players clearly think they are shit. Refs don’t seem to much like the players either.

3 Likes

So after our game he stated that the officiating, including VAR wont be errorless and we just have to accept it, and now after the Chelea game he doesn’t like the way the game is going with games being run from a studio miles away.

1 Like

He doesn’t like VAR and prefers the game without it and u derstands that refs get it wrong but accepts that

Spotted this at the bottom of today’s BBC gossip page. Perhaps there will be changes next season. There certainly ought to be.
Football’s lawmakers have begun talks over major changes to how video assistant referees operate - and semi-automated offside could be introduced to the Premier League next season. (Telegraph - subscription required)

3 Likes

This…

Pep Guardiola insisted he has no problem with Mauricio Pochettino after the Chelsea head coach failed to shake his hand following Sunday’s dramatic 4-4 draw.

Unsurprisingly, the match was full of controversial incidents and Pochettino stormed straight onto the pitch at full-time to confront referee Anthony Taylor. In doing so, he snubbed Guardiola’s offer of a post-match handshake

Pochettino’s beeline for Taylor and the match officials quickly went viral on social media, although the Chelsea chief seemed to regain his cool relatively quickly.

The Argentine explained: “I need to apologise to Anthony, the referees and the fourth official. In this moment, I feel that maybe Raheem can go through and go to score the fifth and in this moment when the game finishes I turn and say: ‘What the ….?’ You know, what’s going on? I said: ‘Why stop in this moment, the action.’

2 Likes

During the additional time added to the 2nd half yesterday, it took over 2 minutes from the pen being awarded until Palmer despatched it. Then over 90 seconds before play resumed with City kicking off. Nearly four minutes of ‘dead’ time. Yet Taylor blew up not long after the initial period of additional time?
If you add in 30 seconds each* for at least 2 yellow cards in the scuffle that took place, where was that additional time?

*Is it still the case that each yellow card incurs 30 seconds of additional time? :sunglasses:

In normal circumstances yes, I think.
There is a subsection to the Law which states that the ref must end the game if City could possibly lose.

5 Likes

Or allow it to continue if they can win it

We have merely changed from Fergie Time to Baldy Time

1 Like

There is a very easy solution as we all know :roll_eyes:

There is no designated amount of time added for a yellow (only as long as it takes to get the game restarted) and you dont add additional time for yellows given during a period in which the game has already stopped.

There is a story going the rounds today about a “crazy” goalkeeper in Brazil stepping aside and letting a free kick go in his goal. He seemed to be the only one who realised the referee had given an indirect free kick. I had forgotten it was a thing. When was the last time it was even mentioned in a commentary? Are they still given?

Well apparently…who would have known this? Own up now.

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player: plays in a dangerous manner . impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made. is guilty of dissent, using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s) or other verbal offences.

1 Like

I can’t remember the last time I saw one and I’ve never understood why they aren’t given when a defender shepherds the ball over the line by stopping the attacking player from getting to the ball. Was the rule changed when they stopped back-passes?

Edit: Just looked it up:

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

I’m sure I’ve seen cases where that hasn’t applied, though.

Can anyone explain to me why Endo’s foul was seen as a possible red card? Only managed to catch it on MOTD and it looked completely innocuous to me.

He plays for Liverpool.

6 Likes

It was a farce. It was a bit of a lunge so you is exactly the sort of thing VAR should be paying attention to, but is also the sort of issue they should have been able to clear quickly and move on with barely any impact to he flow of the game. The fact they looked at it 15 or so times is exactly what so many of the fans rightly complain about.

1 Like

Thanks. Sounds to me like the looking at it “15 or so times” is down to @RedWhippet’s explanation.

1 Like

Attwell seemed overly keen on fucking us over?

It’s why I’m not going massively moan at Tiernay in that game because he rightly dismissed it, evidently Attwell was pushing for it, sort of reminds me of the Fabinho tackle against Fulham during Covid and Mariner was referred over to the monitor for a clean tackle, he took one look and laughed it off.

When to search who the VAR that day was, can’t find it but Parker was shocked it wasn’t given which is comedy.

1 Like

Liverpool
15:00
Fulham

Referee: Stuart Attwell. Assistants: Richard West, James Mainwaring. Fourth official: Tim Robinson. VAR: Paul Tierney. Assistant VAR: Adam Nunn.

:see_no_evil:

1 Like