The Referees or The Twelfth Man

Mike Dean was asked his opinion about SSG on Sky, before the game and I felt he came across a bit bitter. Referring to other refs in the lower leagues who hadn’t been given their opportunity.

Gripes over completely imagined scenarios don’t seem particularly persuasive to me, but are also not necessary in a season when we can point to Spurs, Arsenal and today and focus just on the things that went against us that were bullshit.

There is a psychological reality that people judge strength of your argument by the worst part of it. I guess if you don’t care about building a case that would sway someone else and instead just want to be angry and vent, then grumble on. It seems to me though we have an unusually strong case this year for legitimate complaint and I dont know why people would want to ruin the argument by fleshing it out with a bunch of claims that kill your credability

2 Likes

Most people dont know this, but Saliba isnt even French. He just speaks in this outrageously exagerated French accent to the press to distract from the controversy he has been asked about

https://x.com/DrVizzuals/status/1766592095014343082?s=20

Do any of our complaints change anything?
We can say from the three matches that you mention that we are probably robbed of seven or nine points. Two massive decisions against title contenders…

Yet, nothing changes. The table will never reflect those injustices. Like the Kompany assault on Salah or the Rodri handball vs Everton…not one iota of difference in the league table.

People on a Liverpool forum mentioning other injustices or questionable decisions won’t change anything either.

But people are allowed in reality to raise those incidents in the conversation. Lets not forget the MacAllister red card that could have us three points adrift.
There are plenty of dubious decisions against us, and people arguing them dilutes nothing. Our views are simply that, our views.

You cannot arbitrate on what others see as incorrect decisions, of course you can argue the validity of the complaint.

But at the end of the evening it makes no difference.

2 Likes

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

2 Likes

I agree with Limie on the Chelsea one but can’t remember the Man U one

Oh no. It’s far more sinister than that, and you know it too, mate. I don’t buy into this ‘they bottled it’-theory anymore, because they ‘bottle it’ far too regularly, always in key games against direct opponents, and always against us.

Their Abu Dhabi paymasters are awaiting results, and they duly oblige.

2 Likes

The difficulty with is that by default a bad decision in our game is going to have an impact on the title, because we are in the midst of a title race.

Also there is a proximity bias. I watch all the Liverpool games, so I am on familiar terms with all the shit we have to deal with. But other teams do get shit calls. I understand Wolves have been on the end of some absolute shockers this season.

1 Like

This is true. On the very odd occasion that I watch a “not us” PL game you see shocking errors all over the place. I watched the first Everton game of the season and they had a perfectly valid goal chalked off for what, frankly, looked like a betting scam.

Then United’s Dalot getting two yellow cards in 5 seconds against us was frankly surreal (I don’t know the details but I could only imagine it being justified if he told Oliver to fuck off.)

However, all this does is to underline the piss poor standard of refereeing in the PL. I keep hoping that the new faces coming in will improve things but it’s funny that you never see them at our games.

Both the Chelsea and Utd handballs fall into the categories of marginal calls that sometimes you get and sometimes you don’t. There is a subjective aspect to them, and that’s fine.

The ones that annoy me are the reckless challenges that we have to tolerate, while at the same time being over punished for.

I’m baffled as to why a lot of pundits are saying that Doku got a bit of the ball first (which is debatable), but when Curtis Jones had his yellow card upgraded to a red against Spurs, apparently getting the ball first wasn’t a consideration. It’s almost as if they are making this shit up as they go along.

6 Likes

Not sure how true this is… but a picture was pushed under Oliver’s door at half-time, with the ‘sinister’ phrase of Happy Trails scrawled on the back :man_shrugging:

It’s not debatable. The ball hit a, by then, flinching Mac Allister before Doku made contact with Mac. If he had played the ball as intended (not sure if it was intended as a header or chest it down) then Doku would have landed him in hospital. Law 12 accounts for this and the fact that Alexis flinched from the tackle would make it dangerous play even if he hadn’t touched the ball or Doku’s foot.

It reminds me a bit of Kane not being sent off when he took out Robbo. The fact that a player has tried to avoid serious injury doesn’t mean that it isn’t dangerous play.

5 Likes

I’m convinced Jurgen has an inkling that Abu Dhabi are going to end up with the most minimalist punishment immagineable and he’s basically had enough or trying to shove shit up a drainpipe with a fork.
100% if the Doku scenario had been in our box, Abu Dhabi would have had a penalty.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fairly sad apologist.

5 Likes

Yep. And it isn’t the first time that we have not got a penalty that they would definitely have been awarded.

1 Like

Like Carra on SKY yesterday.
An apologist
A guy who could regain some respect from Liverpool fans by calling this stuff out.
He would rather play patsy to Keane and fellow clown to Richards though

4 Likes

No wonder. He won’t bite the hand that feeds him so handsomly.

4 Likes

I’m aware that some clubs have been on the bad end of utterly shocking decisions too. As if there was some script going on against them too.

Carragher was a breath of fresh air when he joined Sky.
Now, he’s just a fucking puppet playing to their agenda.
Never heard him, or any of them calling stuff out for what it actually is regarding those cheating Abu Dhabi cunts.

3 Likes
2 Likes