The Referees or The Twelfth Man

once a piece of shit…

1 Like

Interesting thread

https://twitter.com/francoisplateau/status/1767926273798550009

3 Likes

Is that all of them, or are there others?

The last report I read stated the authorities think there had been 20 VAR mistakes this season. That list included 2 of them (It’s too soon to hear the official line on the MacAlister challenger, and amazingly the Kovacic ones were not in this list of 20)…fully 10 % of the VAR mistakes in the season directly benefiting City from officials who take jaunts to UAE to be paid by City’s owners.

I think I’ve already said this before, but setting aside whether there was corruption or not, surely the avoidance of the appearance of conflict of interest is often a key consideration in deciding if accepting gifts/engagements is permitted?

2 Likes

100%

Anywhere that takes COIs seriously is concerned not just with avoiding them, but avoiding the appearance of them.

2 Likes

Worth coming back to this comment from the beginning of the thread as I am 100% sure this is what determined Oliver’s decision on Sunday and then the VAR invented a reason to back him up.

This is where I disagree with you.

I don’t think that VAR was looking for a reason to back him up, but rather were to scared/cowardly to challange him on making the wrong call. Remember it was Oliver that cracked the shits with VAR back in '22 when they tried to point out an error and he basically gave the VAR team a moutfull and since then no one on VAR has had the balls to correct him

2 Likes

What is the difference?

It’s worth noting that based on the reporting we have, the reason VAR failed to do anything is in their view Doku got to the ball first, which appears to back up Oliver’s view, and they then felt if Oliver saw it correctly that it couldnt be “Clear and Obvious”. Which is of course bollocks because Doku did not get to the ball first.

1 Like

VAR in football is a lot like DRS in cricket. The whole system is a CYA meant to justify the decisions of the umpire.

We must also remember… there will be European referees being enticed to the UAE with fat pay cheques for officiating - How many of these then go on to referee The Cheaters in the CL games…???

1 Like

Great player, but a cunt as a human.

If you focus on Oliver, there are three massive, and inexplicable decisions in favour of City that involve him. 1) Failure to send off Kovacic against Arsenal, 2) the incredibly soft penalty against Utd 3) the penalty again is on Sunday.

I can’t speak for the Utd game, I can’t remember if the decision was pivotal. But the two others represent a potential four point swing towards City.

Really? Because would suggest they don’t know the rules.

I thought the official line was that it was a ‘reasonable coming together’.

Was 0-0 at the time. Oliver was on VAR which was the unusual part, making Tierney view screen for something that happens at every single corner

It makes no sense as a defense for Oliver, but it does give VAR some leeway to explain their lack of intervention. The bigger is of course that he absolutely fucking didnt.

It was a “reasonable coming together” according to VAR because he “got the ball”. Its preposterous

1 Like

Webb speaking crap again. Presumably hoping that most fans are tribal or fucking blind. It will just make you angry:

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1770166617176994150?t=KcqugFwBJrS0VxRDII986Q

Lol, I put my diatribe in the other fuck the ref thread

1 Like

…“they both coming high” WTF.!

Howard Webb needs to stop coming on Sky Sports to try and explain the decisions. It is actually making the PGMOL look even worse and like idiots, and their processes a farce. The thing is, this exact foul will happen again, and he will move the goal posts yet again… He just needs to stop. Leave it to fans to vent on social media (it only lasts until the next game they screw up). This full disclosure of the so called “process” has only added to making the PGMOL look like the damn incompetent fools we all knew they were.

1 Like