The Room 101 thread

Just wondering - If sparkling wine cannot be called Champagne because it does not come from that particular region - then why can Cornish pasties still be called “Cornish” even if they are made in Manchester or Timbuktu? Can you call sparkling wine Champagne if the grapes were grown there but it was processed somewhere else?

See this is where the EU would have come in handy to sort this all out following a couple of years research and a ten million quid spend. Bloody Brexit…

1 Like

They can’t. :smirk:

Cornish pasty name given European protected status http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-12535751

3 Likes

Accidentally hitting and landing in the UK Politics Thread,frightened the fucking life out of me,don’t need that kind nonsensical negative shit in my life.

3 Likes

You would not believe how much trade conflict there is globally over this issue (halloumi ) - another example that comes up is Cheddar. Most commonly produced cheese in the world, but the name is actually an English place, so same principle could apply.

1 Like

Pontefract Cakes don’t have that problem,probably because it tastes like shite.

2 Likes

Didn’t know where to post this but i really liked the post.

3 Likes

Well those fucking real crabs need to make it easier for me to eat them!

1 Like

Not for Cheddar as the Government during the 2nd WW took property of it. Practically the only cheese ‘allowed’ was Government Cheddar.
As for Stilton should the ‘property’ be given to the makers in Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire or the maggots who live ‘on’ it? :thinking:

Edit: in any case AOC’s and all that are a French thing. Who wants European ideas? Takes away sovreignty!

2 Likes

J’accuse !!!

1 Like

There isn’t a Taco Bell near me :frowning:

Found a new one - the monotonousness accents from (inexperienced) presenters on US reality shows be it cars, auctions, houses whatever. Grating cheap shite.

Doing an online class, and while it is a new discovery, the instructor has both reminded me and made it impossible to ignore… Americans who say ‘Wallah’ or something like that when they show something.

Again, and again, and again.

Don’t they do that in Quebec?
Voila!

1 Like

Well, the word ‘voila’ is used in Quebec. With a ‘v’ sound, and emphasis on the final ‘a’ syllable, often used in a sentence. Rather different from ‘wallah’, thought it is obvious where it comes from.

You’ll have to enlighten me.

Americans pronouncing a foreign language word incorrectly? :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:
Zat is werry rude.

12 Likes

It is the fact that this woman has it as a rhetorical flourish that comes up at least every 5 minutes that makes it especially cringeworthy.

1 Like
3 Likes

I can understand you.
the young here in France when telling a story put ‘Wallah’ (I swear) in practically every sentence. When you haven’t a clue what Wallah means it’s particularly frustrating.
I can not imagine that it’s got anything to do with making tea. :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

The French and their shite swear words,merde

3 Likes