The Rugby Union Thread

Eddie Jones sacked as England head coach after 7 years in charge.

Was due, heā€™s got one of the best squads in world rugby and the fact they still have zero discipline points at a lack of control.

His obsession with big lumbering beasts breaking holes in the line is years out of date and shows with the continued lack of breakdown control which leads to penalties.

And yet he had the best win rate of many a former England manager including Woodward and everyone since.

Personally I think its a strange decision. Itā€™s as if the RFU old boys panicked. ( bit like the WRU for that matter)

That said I will miss Eddie. RIP. He had such an incredible talent of talking himself into trouble. In fact when he opened his mouth it was usually to take one foot out and put the other one in.

Reading up on the shaking of up of premiership rugby and theyā€™ve brought in the hundred guy.

I await to see his ideas but I canā€™t see anything earth shattering. Regular promotion and relegation.

Wowā€¦

Also clearing the entire calender of any other sport going and just playing night after night of Rugby Union on prime time television is hardly an option.

Eddie was great back in his Brumbies days.

@Noo_Noo Just saw that the WRU has allowed adult club play to be 12-a-side this season, which is pretty common here for low numbers, but something of a surprise in a Tier 1 heartland. Is that a really troubling sign, or just a difficult season?

Just seen it. Iā€™m not sure is if this is a reaction to more games being called off than normal or whether itā€™s always been an issue. WRU saying they have more players on the books than ever.

One to watch I think.

fuck footballā€¦

Scotlandā€¦

Scotlandā€¦

Scotlandā€¦

Yeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss!!! get in there!!!

It seems that the English have a blind spot for 6 foot tall 90+kg South African Scots.

Looked even better in slow motionā€¦ It lasted longer.

Duganā€™s try

once againā€¦

Fuck footballā€¦

Scotlandā€¦

Scotlandā€¦

Scotlandā€¦

Yeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss!!! get in there!!!

Na well played and deserved.

Wales woeful. Still playing a brand of Pivacā€™s rugby from what I could see. And doing that poorly as well.

The lack of accuracy is really starting to challenge my hairline to be honestā€¦

Watched Ireland-France, liked itšŸ‘

Another great game today - France vs Scotland. Two teams that basically went at it with massive attacking intentions. A great spectacle of attacking rugby. Great watch.

Yesterday however, Wales vs England. England are shite. Wales dont even register on that scale. Awful game but the right winner, sadly.

Missed the Italy Ireland game. Iā€™ll try to catch up on that again.

Some debate I suspect on the two red cards in todays game but I think they were 100% spot on. People will try and argue that the game is becoming soft. I dont think it is. The tackles have progressively been getting higher, harder and are far more head on in orientation. The rule changes are a simple response to that.

Much better game than expected. Partly Ireland not at their best in terms of personnel and intensity, but credit to Italy.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve heard hence the desire to catch up with it. Great to see Italy improving.

Also great to see attacking play trumping defences now, and with teams actively going for it, itā€™s making for far better games.

From a Welsh perspective Iā€™m fascinated to see where Gatland takes things tactically into the world cup. Iā€™m hoping that he had written off this 6 nations and is witholding his attacking plans until then. I live in hope but itā€™s a long shot.

Super frustrated about many aspects yesterday, particularly the scrum half. Not been the biggest fan of Tomos Williams of late but yesterday was a new low for me. Slow distribution, and persistently poor kicking but also this blind inability to recognise when something isnā€™t working. That said that could be said if the whole team given no one stepped up and changed it.

My cousin broke his neck from a high tackle they should be dealt with appropriately this sniping on the sidelines they arenā€™t going work on Monday morning knowing potentially they might not walk out for what is part of the job.

Thatā€™s horrible, I hope theyā€™re ok, as best they can be after such a thing. I also read this in the last few days

We must also remember about head injuries. At pro level itā€™s been a common problem thatā€™s been completely ignored for some time. I can remember a couple of knocks when I played but then I look at say George North who seems to be knocked flat once a month.

1 Like

He died about 40 years ago, but yeah other than that (sorry gallows humour).

Lasted about a year but then picked up an illness that he succumbed to in the long term care hospital. He couldnā€™t move to be honest.

Interesting it was that hospital on the front in Southport that became luxury apartments, the place was a dark place that was suggested to be haunted I canā€™t think why Iā€™d pay 500m for an apartment there.*

*Stevie G did mind.

As for sports and a goalie Iā€™ve taken several hits to the head and at least two bouts of concussion, we need to move away from it being weak.

I do wonder about the new rules though - I worry they are going to have a perverse effect, because a runner getting their head low is now extremely difficult to tackle without a foul or more. Players will be coached accordingly. I think at some point the ball carrier may be need to subject to penalties for their role in defining the nature of the resulting contact.