The Run In Thread

Yeah, there are positives we can take from probably any result from the Leicester game, but we really need to beat Burnley to keep the momentum going into the final day.

6 Likes

Villa have won one in their last 5 games with 2 draws. Leicester will probably play to avoid defeat and hope to hit a winner on the break but they are also coming off of the highs of winning the cup final. I think Chelsea will have the upper hand going into both games particularly with the CL final coming up.

1 Like

Yes, but in that scenario it’s possible to draw and not qualify, making that an outcome that is less favorable to us.

A Leicester win gives us the greatest control over our own destiny (all wins and many results where we draw as opposed to all wins and only certain results where we draw).

3 Likes

Think for us it’s two wins as for Chelsea that pressure will be ramped up, plus you go into next week and there is a 50/50 and you need to make it but if you do then you may get injured and miss the final.

Villa will also have the fans.

I think this simply, win both our games and see how it breaks, if somehow we miss out I will be disappointed but we did our best.

2 Likes

Ideally Leicester ruin Chelsea’s and we sort out our goal difference in midweek and need just a draw at the Weekend. Not going to happen.

1 Like

The critics of Tuchel are his sides struggle in big games when they need to be on front foot.

Fixed it for you.

10 Likes

You’re professional fixer.

3 Likes

I hope that turns out to be true this week.

Ain’t happening. Going to be crazy tough just like it was today. A win by 1 goal is what would be enough and how it’ll be given we face second of the three teams managed by dinosaurs.

6 Likes

I can imagine The Dingles throwing every shithouse tactic in the book at us. Three points and no hospitalisations would be perfect.

6 Likes

For Leicester and Chelsea, I definitely hope Leicester is the one to go to CL with us. I hope Chelsea failed especially this Tuchel who came in to replace Lampard and was hailed as a hero. It would be great for them to spend 200m on new players, sack their coach, get a new one in, get so close to CL qualifications, then lose out and then lose the CL final (though that will mean Man City win it, but between the two, I would gloat on Chelsea’s loss more).

Coming back to the run in. We all know 2 games back already that if we win all last 4 games, we will definitely be in CL. We have now done half of that. So if we win against Burnley and Palace, what the rest does will not impact on our CL qualifications. Even if we drop points, we might still make it, but lets not get ourselves lulled into that kind of mentality for the boys.

1 Like

Strongly dislike Chelsea but just as I couldn’t root for United in the CL final against them I can’t get behind Citeh. In fact given what has happened since I am now relatively more pro Chelsea this year than I was back in 2008 when they were the worst financial dopers and our CL in 2005 was all we had over Man Utd. Would much rather keep Citeh winless in Europe - also probably weaken them mentally next season as they know they threw away their best chance and may even turn off a little in the PL.

13 Likes

First, sorry if it was already mentioned and I missed it when I was scrolling through this thread.

I’m terrible at this.

If we’re level on points with someone, it’s first the goal difference that matters, then H2H, then the number of goals scored? Or?

1 Like

No

GD
GS
H2H

Unfortunately because H2H we won against both Leicester and Chelsea.

3 Likes

Thank you.

So we’ll have to hope that Roy in maybe his final game as manager goes more on the offensive, to give the fans some pleasure.

:joy:

1 Like

After the 7-0 in December? Unlikely!!!

2 Likes

Example:

Chelsea - Leicester 0-1
Burnley - Liverpool 0-1
Aston Villa - Chelsea 0-1
Liverpool - Palace 0-0

We would be on same points and same GD like Chelsea but finish above them because we scored more goals then them (currently +8).

Imagine Leicester beating Chelsea by 2 and we beating Burnley by 3.

Then a draw against Palace would be enough unless Chelsea winning away against Villa by at least 5.

1 Like

It’s a table calculator.

1 Like

Assuming both Chelsea and Leicester win their final games (Villa and Spurs respectively) the logical thing to hope for at this point is a Leicester win.

In that case, we will definitely get in with two wins, and depending on GD a win and a draw might do it. The most Chelsea could get is 67. For us it’s 69.

If we can’t have a Leicester win, then a draw means that we’d need to win both games to finish a point ahead of Chelsea.

If Chelsea win, then we need to win both games and hope we have a better GD than Leicester. As we’re both on +21, and this scenario involves Leicester losing, then you’d expect that to favour us. If it goes to goals scored, then Leicester have a couple more than us. If Chelsea do win, then we need it to be a twatting.

The other factor with a Leicester win is that Chelsea have another possible route into the CL, and going into the last game two points behind us and needing Palace to do them a favour, might naturally lead them to focus on the Champions League final.

Basically, we win both games and we should get in. A Chelsea win makes it tight, but the odds favour us. We just have to do our business.

5 Likes