The Run In Thread

That arguments about not creating enough opportunities (Because the low block) are demonstrated to be nonsense

1 Like

here, let me re-iterate my point using the words “quality chances” no less than three times in one post, yet you’ve strawman’d your own direction from this discussion. this is why I often choose not to engage you in these anymore

THIS is the snippet of my post that you chose to argue (which is laughable, because xG does not account for scoreline

but you keep rambling on against our superior xG in the three games we drew-lost-lost…

Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office

Yes so we’re back to the point that an argument that the chances we had were not enough and of sufficient quality (because we cannot deal with low block) is just not to be taken seriously when xG was high and we all have eyes. I dont know if you even know what point you are trying to make anymore.

that makes two of us. this is what you’re confused about, because you strawman

The only quality chance was the Darwin one? Jones was 1v1 and missed the target while Salah had one off the goalline when he could have just turned to score in an open goal.

There was at least one other chance where the pass had taken the goalkeeper out and our forward hit it at the defender, I can’t remember who it fell to.

Jota.

Jones also missed the ball entirely from a cut back while 12 yards out and only the keeper to beat.

There was also one that has been completely forgotten because how badly he messed it up made it look like there was not a chance, but the ball fell to Mo about 6 yards out and was there to be hit first time. Instead he tried to take a touch only to miscontrol it and with it the chance was gone.

3 Likes

Compare that to watching City or Arsenal play….their lads are always moving and creating space in the final 3rd. It’s how you break teams down.

Jones

Endo (somehow forgotten)

Mo (one of them)

From the prior game
Dom 1

Dom 2

Nunez (not shown is that Dias could easily have shot himself as well knowing Darwin was on the back post to pick up a rebound

Diaz

3 Likes

maybe this will help.

episode 4 specials GIF

I think it’s fair to say you should avoid any Liverpool related thread on this forum until the hurt of last week subsides a bit. Lots of people flying off the handle.

For me, the Fulham away game on Sunday will be the indicator on where we’re at. The Atalanta game on Thursday is a free hit, so I’m not concerned if we turn up or not, as if we do, it’ll be all good, but if we don’t, then it’ll be put down to lack of motivation.

However, Sunday is the big one. Put in a performance in a high pressure game away from home, and show everyone that you’ll fight Arsenal and Abu Dhabi all the way until the end.

2 Likes

I agree, but I do think that tomorrow’s result and performance (any objections, anyone?) will affect the team mentally for the Fulham game. Unless Klopp bins it and puts kids to play tomorrow, which I don’t expect him to.

1 Like

There is something very ‘proper football man’ about this. An almost Allardycian sneering at attempts to try to understand football.

xG is a reasonable measure of the quality of the chances you create. But if you want to eye test it, go and watch the Palace game again. Jones should score. Jota should score. Darwin should. Diaz should. Endo should. Salah should. Even Konate has a decent chance off a header.

Those chances are really big opportunities. With only a smidge more luck we are comfortable winners.

This tells you for all Palace’s low block defending we did not struggle to create very good chances. We struggled to convert.

6 Likes

By the way, Palace could have had at least three themselves.

1 Like

Lack of motivation for an European quarterfinal after getting embarrassed at Anfield? I would hope not. Motivation should be the least of our problems tomorrow.

I’d hope not as well, but with us being 3-0 down, and this time, the second leg is away from home, I think if we don’t nab a goal or two early, we’ll see us start to conserve energy for Sunday’s game, whether consciously, or subconsciously.

I’d like to think the players will give it their all, especially as we’re facing the 6th placed team in Serie A, but I guess we’ll see whether we turn up tomorrow or not.

Our lack of scoring form will address itself shortly given the quality we have in the side, but being so leaky at the back in the last games is really something which needs to be worked at, and that’s what Klopp and co. will be most concerned about. Hopefully they can quickly find an answer.

it’s not any attempt at self-elevation, at all. I don’t know how Opta comes to identify a quality scoring opportunity via a computer system but not one chance that was spurned by our players came close to the quality of opportunity that Eze had for his tap-in.

Jones looks like our best chance in the 1v1 and he was pressured, keeper was way off his line. Should have been buried, and if he was a proper striker it could have been.

Endo was falling backwards in a goal-mouth scramble from a corner.
don’t remember Jota’s, or Darwin’s
Diaz was a flying kick at a cross to far post, don’t know how he even got his foot on it.
IIRC, Salah’s ball skipped and bounced up on him from a cross, wouldn’t settle and couldn’t get a shot. should have used his head.

If anything, agreed a case of poor finishing. but my whole point in this thread comes down to this

So Spurs are now 6 points back of Villa for what is likely to be the last CL spot, but with 2 games in hand, and one of those game being home to City in the last week of the season

8 Likes