The Space Thread

I suppose they haven’t got Planetary Prime yet.

All joking aside I’m still a bit confused at to why we just dont use white vans to get to Mars or wherever. Nothing faster out there

1 Like

Next day delivery will be available to Mars before NI

2 Likes

No Brexit paperwork involved.

D’uh.

2 Likes

There are several theories as to why dinosaurs became extinct. None of them (that i know of) include inability to master space travel.
Sharks are managing ok, until humans probably wipe then out by some means.

1 Like

Dinosaurs get to mars, not extinct.

Dinosaurs aren’t extinct.

Every time you see one of those feathery, flying things flapping around in the sky. That’s a dinosaur.

1 Like

Isn’t there one playing in goal for Everton as well?

3 Likes

No; but one is managing Spurs.

2 Likes

Not exactly. They have warm blood pulsating through their veins, and they have feathers. Both features gives them a decisive advantage in cold weather and allows them to fly long distances.

But indeed, they are a natural branch of evolution, coming from the dinosaurs. Just as some day in the future, a new, more complex and advanced species will replace us as the dominating species.

That being said, Klopptimist’s theory doesn’t hold water:

These charming little animals exist since 650 millions years and still live a happy life in our oceans, without ever dreaming of going to Mars. :wink:

3 Likes

technically his theory is still solid.

if they did learn to travel into space they COULD still be alive today…

i dont think he said anywhere it was the ONLY option avaliable to them

2 Likes

If they had learned how to travel to Mars they would have become extinct on two planets. Something tells me that it’s going to be much much harder to create a habitable environment to self-sustain human life on Mars than it will be simply to send us there. I mean, it seems almost impossible and that’s with the benefit of having watched the Martian so, you know, I know what I’m talking about here… :wink:

1 Like

Seen The Expanse? Covers the inevitable political fall out from it along with interesting touches on things like lower gravity etc.

Personally I’m of the view that this only becomes feasible if we crack methods of reaching higher speeds in space along with all the associated issues of fuel and slowing down etc.

Staggering to think that the Voyager probes only left our solar system a decade or so ago

1 Like

Yes, loved it. Great show.

1 Like

We’ll do it, not actually that complicated, just need tools, machinery and people. And a massive space transport system. Hi Elon :slight_smile:

No we won’t. I’m prepared to bet a fiver that we won’t colonise Mars before we destroy human life in earth

3 Likes

The challenges are enormous; there is no atmosphere, extremely low temperatures and no magnetic field. The challenge of shielding from solar radiation alone over an extended timespan will be incredible let alone being able to sustain an agricultural system that won’t require constant resupply from Earth.

I am all for exploration and I personally feel that exploration to some of the moons of Jupiter would have been a better use of money than trying to make a dead planet habitable.

1 Like

Would you then bet that we’ll have people on Mars in our lifetime? If we go, it will be for extended periods due to the transition times. £10 to the charity of our own choosing? Musk wouldn’t be going at the rate he is in Texas (and I’m absolutely loving it) if he wasn’t dead set on Mars. If he’s still alive in 5 years, we’ll be there.

When he said they were going to land a rocket they laughed at him. Told him it couldn’t be done. They lost a load, the video is excellent. Then they nailed it and continue to do so with incredible regularity.

https://youtu.be/bvim4rsNHkQ

Then you’re going to land on a ship? Not a chance lad, not a chance. Next thing you’ll be saying you’re going to Mars…

SN8 and SN9 showed the landings and control can work. If they land SN10, they just need to get the Super Heavy built and landing and we’re off.

As for destroying the human race, we’re lightyears away from the danger of the Cold War. Golgafrincham B ark for the Middle East and we’re sorted.

1 Like

The problem with Jupiter is it’s a little bit further away.

As for Mars:

That video is the work of lunatics. No way you can ‘comfortably’ live within a small confined structure like that, and not go crazy after a while. Imagine being locked up into your hermetically closed house for years, maybe for the rest of your life, without ever being able to go out inhaling fresh air and enjoying natural light. I can guarantee that you’d be ripe for the psychiatric clinic within months.

Even if such a project is ever pulled off (which isn’t made yet by far), it will all end up in tears anyway.

2 Likes

Well there’s the positive attitude which made our species great. “What do you want to go to America for? Ages on the boat, horrible conditions, hostile natives” etc etc etc.

Like I said, people have laughed at Musk so many times telling him he can’t do it. Then he does.

Regarding living conditions, there are many research stations in the Arctic / Antarctic that have pretty similar situations. Granted there’s an atmosphere. Pretty sure a Russian spent 2 years on Mir and he didn’t lose the plot.

It all can’t be done. Until it is done. And it will be.