The Spursy Thread

The contrary factor to that is Vardy who’s game is all about pace. Except the last couple of seasons or so , he’s held up pretty well. As much as the playing style has to do , it depends on the individual body as well. Sometimes , there are those physical freaks who turn up at still that level despite their game being tailored to pace majorly.

Oh sure, CRonaldo went well past his best before date too. Vardy’s game wasn’t just pace though, and he has declined significantly in the past three years. He was likely a late developer, given how late in life he made his break even into the Championship.

1 Like

Vardy is probably winding up his career but something tells me that Kane will have a more severe fall in terms of performance over the next two years. His fall will probably be more drastic than Vardys

1 Like

2 Likes

Now that is pretty funny, Levy the genius.

Yeah, for a player so in ripe to be snapped up it’s wild how few viable takers there are. I think this is an indictment of modern football, but that’s a digression.

Chelsea and Utd seem good fits. PSG could be if they can shift Neymar. Bayern will be looking for a striker but they seem to prefer shopping in the slighly less expensive bracket, especially for players of this age. One possible curve ball could be Juve. I know they are in financial trouble, but if they can raise good money by selling Vlahovic to Bayern it might be just the sort of irresponsible stupidity we’ve seen from them in recent years to spunk it all on a 30 year old

Age doesnt so much rob a player of pace (although at some point it does) but more limits the number of times and ways it can be used. You point Vardy towards the opposition goal and ask him to run he’d still be difficult for any defender to keep up with. The issues are that he’ll lose a step in his ability to change direction before going after a ball. That even Fabs would be a match for him on the third or fourth sprint, and he’s going to need a game off if has any game with more than a few full out sprints.

2 Likes

What I think few people realize is how exponential the growth in prep and recovery time is for elite athletes from somewhere around 30. Guys who at 26 thought of physical training as something to do to build strength and endurance have to make a massive shift. Recovery work becomes a serious component, and simply escalates. Flexibility, warm downs, preventative physio sessions start consuming more and more time. Milner gets a lot of respect, but I really do not believe most fans understand how incredible he must be as a professional. He must be getting up there with Chris Chelios (NHL) who said he retired because he was already spending 90 minutes a day in an ice bath between two sessions.

A lot of players just don’t have that will. So they can still put on close to the same burst speed…once or twice in a match.

2 Likes

One of the other big differentiators you see with athletes who are able to remain competitive into their 30s and beyond is the smarts to identify the elements of their physical preparation that actually have benefit and which bits is familiar but ultimately unnecessary. Once recovery capacity becomes limited you simply dont have the resources to put energy into doing stuff that has no value and takes time away from recovering properly.

I have 2 friends who in their 20s were both internationally competitive power lifters. Only one of them is still competitive today. The one who isnt is the one who is still trying to run the same programs he used to set records with in his 20s. The one who is the one who found ways to be productive with his training despite now only training the deadlift heavy, one of the competition lifts, once every 3 to 4 weeks when he’d previously been doing it 3-4 days a week.

1 Like

Enrique :x:
Nagelsmann :x:
Slot :x:
Poch :x:
Postecogologowogolglue :x:

Going well this for the Spurs. Stars are aligning for Rodgers to takeover.

1 Like

Rumoured he might be going to Leeds… Needs to fight Hippo Head in a 15rounder mind…

Would love the Spurs fans to sing ‘Rodgers will get us relegated’ from day one :laughing:

Who? Rodgers?

I can see that being a decent fit and he did well with Swansea also give him a year or two before the wheels fell off and the envelopes are revealed.

In the paper earlier…

Brendan Rodgers emerges as shock target for Leeds - but Sam Allardyce is keen to stay on

I think all three relegated clubs should start afresh.

1 Like

I doubt Kane goes abroad. He’ll have his eye on Shearer’s record and if he fucks off abroad he’s pretty much wasted most of his career at Spurs for nothing. I genuinely think he’d take beating the record over half a dozen winners medals in the Bundesliga or Ligue 1.

Can only see him going to United this summer or maybe City on a free next summer should Haaland sod off to Madrid.

1 Like

when hell freezes over. no chance that happens now.

The problem with Sam for Leeds is that they would more or less need to turn over that whole squad. There are very few players he can really use the way he likes. Starting afresh is one thing, but starting from nothing at all is not a recipe for promotion any time soon

2 Likes