The Spursy Thread

So if any of us were running Spurs, if United actually offered £100m for Kane, would we sell him? I would as they’ve won sod all with him and don’t have the money to build a squad capable of playing to his strengths, whatever they are.

Kane has a year left on his contract, and he turns 30 this summer. He either signs a new Spurs contract in the next four weeks or so and decides he’s a Spurs lifer, or he is leaving. If he doesn’t leave by August 31, Spurs will likely get nothing for him - or perhaps a small fee for moving him in January.

Levy is going to play tough, but at some point Kane stops caring. Spurs fans already loathe Levy, the few I know are amazed that Kane has stayed as long as he has. I suspect the more Levy postures, the more entitled Kane will feel to choose where he plays next. The real dynamic here is now much the buyer (presumably ManU) is willing to risk alienating Kane in playing hardball. Levy is like the pathetic drunk with his pants around his ankles bellowing how tough he is.

If Spurs get an offer for £100M in June, they should jump at it. Delaying into July will just give them less time to spend it, fewer available targets and counterparties that will know they are desperate.

5 Likes

Now that Pochettino is confirmed, I wonder if Chelsea will make an offer? They will have a number of players that Spurs could be interested in bringing to WHL

Straight swap Rom for Kane - Rom will say no though.

I had not thought about that, but it would be a solid fit. Pochettino would know exactly what he has, Kane presumably thinks back fondly to what was the peak of his career at Spurs, and that Chelsea side badly needs goals - they only scored 38 all season, just one game with more than 2 goals. Just 10 more goals would likely have meant 15-20 points and competing for at least an EL spot

2 Likes

£100m doesn’t really do much for them in this market either though given the amount of work that needs doing on that squad. Probably looking at a minimum 6 players to make them competitive at the top of the league again.

Seems like he’s over his injury problems now as well, only missed something like 20 minutes of PL football this season. I’d be wary of allowing a guaranteed 30 goal a season striker join a rival PL club, almost like admitting they aren’t even thinking about being a CL contender anymore.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1663621915636822017?t=5OFiS5uRaNzIXUGGYP6u5g&s=09

Man Utd will pay that it’s the kind of thing they do.

1 Like

I don’t remember who it was exactly but a reliable Man United source claimed that Man United were willing to start negotiating early out of respect for Tottenham, blah, blah, blah. They must have learnt their lesson by now, so I expect that they will do it that way.

What Casemiro is to their midfield, Kane will be to their attack if he signs - world class, transformative, expensive, almost no resale value, slowly reaching his twilight years but still getting them to where they want to be, so they won’t care one bit about how much they paid for him.

I don’t see any other club bidding for him, to be honest - maybe PSG at a stretch. Juventus are in financial trouble, Bayern are going for a younger option (presumably Vlahović), Real Madrid surely won’t spend that kind of money on a soon-to-be-30-year-old to replace a soon-to-be-36-year-old, Barcelona already have Lewandowski. If I was Levy, I’d casually be chatting to people from Chelsea, otherwise they are at Man United’s mercy, so to speak.

Heard this yesterday: Kane has missed just 4 PL games in the last 3 years.

1 Like

There or thereabouts with Mo.

Would be surprised if anyone’s missed fewer, Maybe a keeper or 2 somewhere.

I thought he had a bad ankle injury that kept him out for a lot more than 4games…! Surprising statistic if true though

Mo missed the same the number in the last three years and only 10 in his entire time six years at Liverpool.

Still no new manager… Can see these being nearer to relegation next season than challenging for Europe

He didn’t have a proper injury since a muscle thing 4 years ago. Back then, there was a bit of talk how well he would age. But that’s probably overly sensitive English media worrying about their key player. Kane, on paper, should be in a position to age pretty well. Especially looking at his game in last years also.

Might delve into this a bit more… It has me intrigued

Little over six weeks after his return Kane suffered a lateral ligament injury to his left ankle in the Champions League quarter-final first leg against Manchester City. He missed nine matches and returned to start the Champions League final on June 1 but could not stop Liverpool winning 2-0.24 Nov 202

1 Like

Lampard rubbing his hands in excitement.

He was rushed back which is understandable but he wasn’t fit it was obvious and I’m not sure why Ponchettino carried on with it.

That’s a criticism of Ponchettino though, his attitude to injuries was terrible, probably one of the main reasons concussion subs were forced on to the league.

2 Likes

I don’t think he has beaten anyone with pace for a decade. His game is positioning and space, along with solid technique to receive and turn. Time gets us all, but his style will hold up as long as anyone’s.

1 Like