The Spursy Thread

People go on about his “style of play” being the 2nd coming, first and foremost you need to be able to win games…under pressure that matter, not just in crap leagues like the SPL where virtually any “style of play” managing Celtic is gonna win you the league/double/treble simply because every team bar Rangers is a walkover for them. His record in Europe the last 2 seasons has been nothing short of atrocious. Didn’t win a game in the group last season, dumped out the CL qualifiers the season before to Midtylland, dumped out the EL by AZ and then dumped out the ECL by Bodo…3 bites of the cherry and failed at the first hurdle in all of them.

To be fair, most times that sounds like Spurs in Europe

1 Like

Well they’ll be none of that for him to contend with so it remains to be seen if he’ll ever experience Europe with Spurs, it’s all well and good having a style that’s easy on the eye but it’s no good if you can’t win anything…he won’t be coming up against teams like St Mirren and Dundee Utd every week where he can impose any style of play he wants and look good.

If Spurs’ fans or anyone else thinks he’ll just be able to waltz into the Prem and impose that same style of play against Villa, Fulham, Brentford etc, good luck. Good luck Stevie, good luck Rodgers…let’s see how you fare.

It’s a good job Spurs aren’t in Europe next season then.

Postecoglou seems to have a good record at the clubs he has managed. I’m interested in seeing what he can do at spurs.

I guess he feels he’s won enough trophies for the time being.

Bloody football managers plying their trade in foreign leagues

Winning championship and trophies

Then thinking they can waltz into the EPL and impose their style of play

Who do they think they are?

Well its not happening…

Not on The-AlmightyReds watch anyway,
(Whilst shaking his fist at these managers)

1 Like

Think you’ve ran off with my point and taken it on a U-turn my long lost pal.

Pep came from title winning sides to manage here.
Same with Jose, Carlo, Rafa and Klopp etc.

Ange…? Remind me what prior he has (and no winning the SPL with Celtic isn’t an achievement). I’m simply fighting the wank fest that Ange is the 2nd coming and is going to take Spurs to a new level.

He has won trophies in Japan and Australia before going to Celtic.

Arsenal was Arteta’s first managerial job. He had to endure a tough spell 2 seasons ago at the start when results almost got him the sack. But he managed to build a complete way of playing, which we haven’t seen for a long time at Arsenal. Not to say that him working closely with Pep doesn’t have certain value, it surely does, if he’s smart to combine what he is as a football person and what he’s learned first hand.

To purely base the opinion that Ange will fail because of his style is a bit too wild in my opinion. There will be more to it what will decide if he’s a success or not. Which doesn’t depend only on Ange. Spurs are obviously going somewhere different now after a few more pragmatic types of coaches. But many have failed there. So, people at Spurs making decisions have to also look at themselves. Success is also relative at Spurs, who are not winning anything, let along the biggest trophies.

They all start somewhere….Ferguson came from Scotland, Klopp had to prove himself in Div 2, Arsene via Japan I think. Pep had the rails run straight into Messi so forget him.

Not saying Ange is anywhere in that company. But he has proved himself with every opportunity. Even won the Asian Cup with the Aussies the only time.

So I reckon he deserves a chance just like a lot of great managers who were given their first big shot at it. Worth the risk for Spurs coming from low base and no Europe.

3 Likes

A lot depends on how much money is available and what class of of player he will be able to attract.

1 Like

It may well be worth the risk, but I think treating it as a risk downplays how unattractive the job has now become. You will always get someone willing to take money, but if Spurs are looking for anything other than a journeyman content to play out one more cycle of the game of going through the motions until his severance is paid off, then they have to go for someone a bit more “risky”. Someone looking to build his name at a higher level.

1 Like

Basically our kit but in white.

Nice one, Nike. :joy:

1 Like

I was coached by Ange many years ago right before he left for overseas. Wouldn’t be surprised if he does well he’s a top coach. Doubt the supporters will give him much of a chance though. Might lose Kane too so he’s already doomed.
I’d be surprised if he’s still there by December and not celebrating his huge payout.

6 Likes

theres a bit more to Ange than just taking over the auto pilot that is the Celtic Managerial position.

hes a fascinating guy, and a real hard arse… he gets any club hes at playing good football too…

id like to see him do well…id be happy if they were runners up next season…

1 Like

were you at Victory?

so spurs should just re hire Harry?

people arent proven in the league, until they are…

he might just suprise a few people

i will note though, it appears that the Celtic job is now a bit of a poison chalice, even if you are successful there, you are a pretender…i can imagine Celtic running out of options

2 Likes

Spurs can hire who they want, they appointed Jose and Conte…2 of the most successful managers in recent times gone by & look how that went, I’m not saying Ange is the right or wrong appointment I was saying you can’t look to what he’s done elsewhere & think he’ll just be able to do that in England imposing his style willingly, because the levels were about 8303 below where there is no resistance…if you take note his European performances (which is a much fairer and accurate judgement of what he’ll be up against with Spurs) then it’s shocking.

Not disputing the rest of your post but the part I quoted, Gerrard did pretty well in Europe with a poor Rangers team and we know how it ended for him at Villa.