The Spursy Thread

Big name and big stadium aside, Spurs are now a midtable PL side. This is one of the few decisions from them in the past few years that reflects where they really are, rather than a deluded self-image. They face tough financial constraints and a squad whose best players are aging and likely headed for the exits.

1 Like

I dislike the knee jerk assumptions he wont cut it because he’s aussie, but there is an obvious and critical caveat to this observation and the other similar ones, and that is that it is WAY harder to play good looking football the higher up the ladder you go.

1 Like

We do & doesn’t this only enhance what I’m saying?

Ange has next to no chance at Spurs then if he couldn’t even do well in Europe (which he hasn’t).

I dont think they necessarily work as comparables though.

I forgot Spurs somehow got knocked out of this competition in the group stage last year :joy:

Tbf only because they refused to play the last group game and that’s commendable. Makes the competition even more of a joke.

Considering they only had 7pts they were hardly busting a gut.

And what are they doing next season, no trophy and no Europe. They got Covid and refused them to try and fit there games in.

Nothing much commendable really.

1 Like

I dislike the knee jerk assumptions that people who think he wont cut it only think that because he’s an Aussie
Graeme Souness., Brendan Rodgers and Steven Gerrard aren’t Aussies, had their teams playing good looking football in Scotland and failed miserably when they moved from Scotland to the big league.

He’ll struggle.

ok.

do you think he will struggle because he won trophies with Celtic, or do you think he’ll struggle because Spurs expectations arent aligned with reality

for instance, looking at where they are at, possibly losing Kane and/or Son with little prospect of going large on a replacement…

i think if Ange gets 8th or higher and has them playing decent football, with a vision for the future, he’ll be a success.

if they are bottom three 12 games in, he’ll be a failure.

its really hard to judge exactly what will be a success and failure over there at spurs…

probably just a clear vision and execution of that plan would be enough…

1 Like

if we say hes a failure because they wont get top four then i think thats harsh

3 Likes

Spurs fans will make judgement on what is success or failure, I couldn’t care less either way unless Spurs stand in our way, which is unlikely.
Winning trophies at Celtic is irrelevant, given how easy it appears to be.

From an outside perspective, Spurs finishing outside top 6 should be deemed as an unsuccessful season.

[quote=“Dane, post:2089, topic:322, full:true”]

Vvd and robbo stood out in the spl,

Wonder what happened to them…

1 Like

Gerrard struggled at Villa after SPL success, i think Spurs is a far more difficult job so we wait and see, he seems like a decent guy.

Not sure what point you’re making

Is this serious? It’s not hard at all to judge what’s deemed a success or failure at Spurs. Top 4 is success, so would winning the EFL or FA cup. Anything less is failure…that includes finishing 5th and losing 2 cup finals.

You’ve narrowed the failure line right down to him taking them in the bottom 3, everyone knows that’s not gonna be the case, whilst also expanding the success line to include a top 8 finish? Oh come on. It’s Spurs we’re talking not Brentford/West Ham.

Jose was ridiculed and laughed at being a failure despite taking them to a cup final, Same with Conte despite taking them to the CL but because it’s little no name Ange, he’ll get a pass for finishing top 8?

Over what time frame? Given the mess Spurs have found themselves in and the potential emergence of Newcastle as a competitor for the top 4 places, I think that he can still be judged a success finishing below top four.

Rebuilding their side into a young dynamic team playing good attractive football and capable of challenging for top 4 and the cups would be a success. Spurs under Mourinho and Conte has just been a toxic mess.

From the word go.

It took Conte less than a full season to get a 7th place Spurs finishing 4th.
In Jose’s first full season he took them to a cup final and then Levy’s big ego got in the way.
In Klopp’s first full season he took a Liverpool side (which is similar to the Spurs Mess are in now) back into the CL.

There is no pass for the first year…2 years however long people wanna allow, the guy will still be paid 7-8million a year to bring success to the club. Nuno Santo was given 3 months.

We don’t know yet how much money will be reinvested in the side or who will be available for him to use in a side that is already perhaps needing a much bigger rebuild than it appeared to under Conte or Mourinho.

I find it odd that you dismiss his record prior to joining Spurs yet talk of comparing him to Klopp

Spurs are Spurs, look at their spending history for the last 10-15 years…they’ve always been there or thereabouts as the 4th/5th biggest spenders in the league…ok that may be pushed back to 6th now with Newcastle.

His previous record domestically isn’t worthy as harsh as it may sound and in Europe the record speaks for itself…abysmal.

The job he has now to take Spurs back to top 4 is similar to what Klopp had to do with us 7 years ago…in fact it was probably harder for Klopp given the absolute state of our squad back then.

Conte , Klopp , Jose are much better managers than Nuno Santo. I think Ange has probably the least enviable job in PL right now. Even a minor success (finishing in top 7) with the likes of city , us , arsenal , man utd , Brighton, Chelsea , Aston villa , West ham , Fulham , sandcastle

All clubs which are either very stable (compared to Spurs) or less of a car wreck… (Chelsea / man utd)