The Spursy Thread

Won the league with Napoli last season, the man is free to do/wear whatever he wants.

2 Likes

And people are free to take the piss out of him as they see fit.

As long as nobody gets hurt, of course.

3 Likes

Yep…if he feels comfortable with it…who are we to take the mess…

It’s definitely a hand bag

I actually didn’t even realise he was still at Tottenham, I though they sold him.

That means Ndombele and Bryan Gil won more major trophies while loaned out from Tottenham than Tottenham have in my lifetime. What a club.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was imagining lazy Ndombele going back to Spurs for first day of training. Must be thinking “I’ve just won a league with bloody Napoli, can’t be bothered with this Spursy lot now”.

:joy:

Another Bayern offer rejected by Spurs, and still miles apart. Bayern being fairly hard-nosed. This is starting to feel like it won’t get done. Spurs have offered Kane a new contract, but unless it has a 2024 exit option I can’t see him accepting it. Feels like the most likely outcome now is that he uses August-December as an option to see how the new regime plays out at Spurs, get closer to the scoring record, and makes a decision in January.

1 Like

Not sure that’s factored into his decision. He’s 47 behind Shearer, so that’s at least two seasons to catch him.

1 Like

I think it is in there as a factor though. As interesting as Bayern and almost certainly a trophy would be, playing one more season at Spurs and getting himself around halfway there, then jumping to one of the Manchesters on a free and a huge wage to finish the job has to be one of the scenarios playing out in his head - and probably the only thing that ensures he won’t get stroppy enough to force Spurs to take a Bayern offer Levy doesn’t like.

2 Likes

100% that record is in his mind. Interestingly he averages a smidge over 23 goals a season since really stepping into the lead striker role. He may have got 30 goals last season but the one before that was just 17. In fact last season was comfortably his best for five years.

New manager, new system, another rebuild and arguably a much stronger league than seven or eight years ago when he was doing between 21 and 30 in four back to back seasons. And not to mention the glass ankles.

I think he’d likely need three seasons to break the record all being well. I don’t see how he ends up at City now if he holds off for another year. United perhaps, maybe Chelsea but that’s about it.

And the way Haaland has started, well he might break that record and then lose it just a few years later. And that’s the thing with records, they are made to be broken whilst medals are yours for life. Looking back I wonder what Shearer would be willing to swap his record for in terms of medals?

Fixed for realistic accuracy

So basically Harry needs to decide if he wants to win a Bundesliga Title or break Shearer’s record. Only one of those can be guaranteed currently.

I think he knew the choice he was making. I think he’d make the same choice again.

The other option is push for a move to Bayern this summer and then come back in a 2-3 years time and hope he can play on until he’s in his mid to late 30’s even if that means taking 4 years to get the record.

I seem to remember Shearer hanging on for a season or two well past his best to break the PL or Newcastle scoring record.

I know this is a popular sentiment, but even once your record has been broken you are still in the hallowed club of someone who once held it, a much more limited club than winner of something that h
happens every year.

1 Like

Yes, my record of most accurate in the know predictions in the month of June 2023 will never be broken.
No medal would ever compare.

3 Likes

What was the second offer?

If their first one was €70m, the second one probably isn’t much higher anyway and that won’t tickle Levy.

Bayern do have a bit of a complex outside Germany’s borders, in terms of getting starts from other leagues sometimes and creating an even bigger brand worldwide.

Headline numbers are basically the same, £60M/€70M, the improvement would presumably be in the add-ons and/or the payment structure. Bayern are moving a few points, Levy wants about +50%, so unless either side blinks or Kane forces something, hard to see it getting done. In his heart of hearts, I don’t think Kane really wants to go to Bayern, he doesn’t see them as real CL contenders.

1 Like

Yet with a good CF they possibly would be.

Clubs at Bayern’s level tend not to be able to make anything more than marginal gains over a summer, but is there any major club out there who could make as big a jump in one move as they could by upgrading Choupo Moting with an elite CF like Kane?

2 Likes

Have to agree to disagree there. Off the top of my head I couldn’t even guess who held the record before Shearer. It might be rarer than a medal but once you’ve been beaten it’s no longer your record.

Maybe it helps that Shearer has won something other than just goalscoring titles but if you offered me Henry’s career or Kane’s career on the proviso he stays at Spurs and breaks the record then im picking the medals each and every time.

*caveat to that. I think club scoring records are a bit different. Shows you’re a club legend and you’ll be part of that clubs history. A league scoring record, who cares. No one supports a league.