The Spursy Thread

There wasnt really record before Shearer. Sheringham was the Prem’s top scorer in its first year, but at some point in that second year Shearer would have passed him for total Prem goals and Im pretty sure has held that record continuously ever since. Greaves still holds the real top level record and has done so since the 60s, which again is why we don’t remember who had it before. It’s a good example to use though to illustrate the point. While Kane wont get anywhere near Greaves’ record, if he did that chase would give Jimmy’s legend a whole new life and bring him to a whole new generation in a way that more decorated contemporaries like Hunt and St John could never get.

This is not to say I’d personally chase records over winning stuff, but to say that the prospect of one day having your record broken doesnt change the fact that having once held an important record does put you in a certain category in a way that isolated titles wont. Im not saying that should or will be the motivation, only that if he is motivated by it the prospect of it one day being broken likely wont be that important. And of course the other thing to balance, is how much does a BL title while playing for Bayern really mean?

1 Like

Rather have the medals.

Suppose if you are Palmer at Man City they may mean a bit less.

https://twitter.com/trollfootball/status/1678350776371118080?s=48&t=JSSr7BmBA5Lbeay-d2j-Rg

2 Likes

Soccer!!!

1 Like

Spurs preparing for the loss of Kane

23 year old who played half a season at Fulham last year scoring 5 goals

1 Like

Was mostly a sub for Fulham I think

2 Likes

Maybe it is a great pick-up, but all things being equal Spurs picking up free transfers from Fulham is not a good sign for them.

1 Like

Usually I bemoan the lack of trust in the youth sodes when a club goes a squad filler like this but to be fair there is no one even close to first team football coming through their system right now.

2 Likes

Isn’t Troy Parrott supposed to be their next great white hope?

That’s sharks, mate, not a parrot.

1 Like

He was but last few years have been disappointing. He’s really only had one good season since he was 17, which was 21/22 when he scored 10 and assisted 7 for MK Dons.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1680479645597155328?t=hwKve2LGDWApTYK_qp63Lw&s=19

Given we are talking about Kane here, i think he stays at Spurs. Levy will mug Kane off again with some verbal bullshit about building a stronger spurs etc.

A man who swore on his daughters life that he touched a ball he didn’t simply to get an extra goal.

I know he was just being thick but well.

:thinking:

3 Likes

Wow what an exciting pre season Spurs v West Ham in Oz.

30 shots to 4 Spurs absolutely towelled them.

But guess what? They still found a way to lose 3-2!!

Spursy!

Who was the Spurs keeper? That scoreline is suggestive

Kane holds the cards. Levy can sell him to Bayern, or he can sit tight, play out his last season, professionally, scoring goals, and then he can assess his Bosman options.

My guess is he finishes his meaningful career at Man Utd, after one more year at Spurs, and takes Shearer’s Prem goalscoring record, while winning an FA Cup somewhere along the way. Terrific!

I thought the ‘if he keeps his word’ comments from Bayern were a bit of an eyebrow-raiser.

1 Like

Or is this a Bayern transfer trick to put pressure on Spurs to sell at a lower price?

Wouldn’t be the first time a club have tried this sort of underhanded push to get another club to sell a prized player

1 Like

https://twitter.com/davidpreece12/status/1682347925349756928?t=MNLb7GfCjxliLftOtGxmOg&s=19

Good to see Sparks still going strong.

1 Like