The Spursy Thread

Finding a backup is different though. But yeah, no wonder in saying that it’s very hard for Tottenham where they are at the moment, how they work and the overall climate to find a replacement for him. But Kane himself is also someone who appeared pretty much out of nowhere. I’d say it’s mainly him working on his game, but also Poch at the time. The managerial question is important for Spurs, they need to squeeze the maximum out of Levy/people upstairs and the coach to make them competitive again. We’ll see if Kane does move this summer or has to wait until he has 2 years left on his deal, which would be next summer. Very difficult deal to make, he should have negotiated a more normal/shorter contract. He doesn’t have to go and act like an idiot, while still playing as a professional and wanting to leave.

1 Like

I think this is probably true, but my point doesnt require Haaland to actually move. In fact him not moving is the most extreme case of the point im making - it doesnt matter what Dortmund say, everyone willing to spend 150 million on a striker will be focusing on him rather than Kane. It doesnt matter what Dortmund say, they will all be looking at the situation thinking “so there’s a chance” until he signs for someone else. The simplest way for the Kane situation to resolve is for someone to sign Haaland right out of the gate. The longer the window goes on with him still at Dortmund, regardless of what the club is saying, the less likely I think it is that someone turns to Kane, unless that club has been told unequivocally by Alfie that they are not part of his thinking.

2 Likes

I totally understand what you are saying.

May I add, Kane situation can become even more complicated by the availability of Mbappé and Lukaku.

1 Like

Not sure about that. None of those with an interest in Kane will go for Lukaku.

I think Utd might go balls out for Kane knowing others want Haaland. Maybe offer players to Spurs on loan?

2 Likes

Yeah the United situation maybe a bit awkward due to his stint there. But he is a proven goal-scorer and would cost much less than Haaland.

Kane looks a Manchester United player to me. Their owners will want to try to get the protesting fans onside. They will pay the dough, even though Levy will have them over a barrel.

Unfortunately (not really, figure of speech!) Kane will move on to win trophies and won’t see any better at Man Utd than he saw at Spurs.

Order of likelihood for Harry Kane?

1. Stay at Spurs (after a heart to heart with Levy as he strokes his cat - “I know where your mum lives Harry!” He will get an airtight agreement for a year later and everyone will claim some sort of victory)

2. Move to Man Utd

3. Move to Man City

4. Move to Chelsea

5. Trip over his tongue in a career ending injury

4 Likes

He is not that good so does not really matter where he ends up. Big fish in a small pond. With the team set up to get the best out of him.

He will score goals where ever he goes. But I never feared him when we played Spurs.

A good, not top class striker for me. An equivalent to Jermain Defoe, Theo Walcott, Jamie Vardy type level.

2 Likes

Yes I feared Ronaldo, Messi, even Suarez in his prime but Kane … not much.

1 Like

A hundred and fifty mill? Someone’s having a lend with that figure. I just can’t see that sort of dough paid despite his qualities.

Problem for Kane is he has fuck all leverage with 3 years left. Spurs in the box seat in many ways. Sure Harry you can fuck off but only if we are offered 100+ whatever. Otherwise see you in pre season son.

I fear United will go for him. That could hurt.

Kane is a very good finisher and this will help Man Utd but I’m not sure how much he improves them by and you have to start switching your system around to fit him.

It’s not simply like saying oh his 22 goals supplant that on Man Utd that’s where they will be, Cavani has got ten in less minutes and then how will Penandes feel without taking penalties.

Does he improve them by 150m …nope.

City need a striker to replace Aguero, can’t see Man City going for Kane as I said the system would be shaped around him. Can’t see Pep doing that.

I actually think he will show up at Man Utd and the press will spank one out over it but to me it won’t change much.

There backline looks crap.

3 Likes

My problem with him going to Utd is not will he improve them ior not? but tat he is not what they need. In my view, they need to sort out their defence and midfield far more urgently than they need to worry about up top.

2 Likes

Well that doesn’t concern me, I’ve spent years watching teams buy exactly what they don’t need to appease the fans every summer.

Thing with Thiago and Jota last summer and Klopp most summers is he generally buys what we need. People point to the defence but we are still having the discussion now, effectively the fourth choice in defence is going have to be someone like Williams/Phillips or SVB if you have Konate, VVD and Gomez with Matip whenever.

I was probably the only ones who suggested Messi to Man City last summer wasn’t really what they needed.

4 Likes

Kane is top class (and has been for a while now, it’s not this season that he became a top link up player, too, he only got even better because he knows it will only help him in the long run), no two ways about it in my books.

6 Likes

I agree except for that word in bold. I think it makes him an ideal signing for them :laughing:

2 Likes

Fair point!

2 Likes

Steve Nicol is now saying something similar about the prospect of landing Haaland making it harder for Kane to get his move, so I retract all my previous comments on this issue.

5 Likes

According to some reports in Germany Spurs are interested in Dortmund caretaker manager Edin Terzic. Don’t think it’s true.

1 Like

Rangnick is old. Ten Hag is average. Potter is untested. Flick would have been good. Maybe Martinez can redeem himself as club manager.

2 Likes

I bet they end up going for Koeman after he’s kicked out at Barca.

6 Likes